Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Buy & Sell (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Value of "Used" Ultimate License? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=413516)

vineband 01-05-2021 12:57 PM

Value of "Used" Ultimate License?

1 Attachment(s)
I recently downgraded to PT Vanilla/ Apollo from HD Native Card and PT Ultimate 12.

How do I determine the approximate value of my Ultimate license on the used market? Is it essentially as good as new once I purchase the $79 transfer fee?

Will the new owner have the most recent version with 1 year of updates?

Any wisdom here would be appreciated! Thank you.

A new version of PT Ultimate is $2599. Ebay prices are all over the map and confusing.

rantanplan 01-08-2021 11:58 AM

Re: Value of "Used" Ultimate License?

I find new ones for 1.399 $ ...

JCBigler 01-08-2021 02:02 PM

Unless your old license is covered under a current upgrade and support plan, in which case you can authorize the latest Protools version (2020.12) with it, then it's worth almost nothing.

And the cost to get back on the plan is about $1,000. So either you or the new owner would have to pay that.

Avid has basically killed the used software market with their upgrade and support plan and the move to subscription based licensing.

Southsidemusic 01-08-2021 06:53 PM

Yeah if it is a perpetual HD license you would be lucky to get 600 bucks if it is an expired plan. With a year plan maybe 1000-1200 USD which is what we got.back in march.

unkJE 01-08-2021 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2589868)
...And the cost to get back on the plan is about $1,000 ...

Or US$599 from:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avid-1Year-...EAAOSwZhpeo77M

Advt. says “109 Sold/4 left”
Seller has 100% eBay Feedback after 570 Sales

See attachment for Seller’s reply when I asked “is this a Reinstatement for an expired HD/Ultimate Plan – and definitely not an Update for an existing Plan?”

As always, I recommend paying via PayPal – if the item is damaged or “not what was advertised", PayPal will get you a Refund – which can take up to 2 to 3 months – but that’s definitely “better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick”!

Proteinshake 01-09-2021 01:00 PM

The guy is legit. I've bought from him couple times, flawless. And buyer protection has you covered anyways.

Zarabozo 01-31-2021 10:05 AM

I wouldn't pay more than $300, as I would have to pay $1,000 on my end to get back into the support plan and I can find current/new licenses for $1,300 on eBay.

In any case, that's if I were determined to get a perpetual license, which is hard to see as a good option these days. This is why:

I buy my Pro Tools Ultimate subscription during Black Friday. So far, Avid has offered a 20% discount during those days. So I get it for exactly $63.99 per month. I not only get Pro Tools, but also a huge plugin bundle from Avid/AiR and a license for HEAT.

It would take me almost 2 years of paying that subscription to have paid a similar amount as the cost of the perpetual license on discount, without the plugins, without HEAT, and, most importantly, I would have to additionaly pay for the support plan again every year.

I hate having to be on the subscription plan. But I can't longer see any advantage on having a perpetual license. Unless I was planning on never updating it again.

XJENSEN 01-31-2021 04:06 PM

Theoretically, I would say it's worth around €1900, if you can use it with any available reinstatement, e.g. from Thomann. A resale value ranging from €1000 to €1500 seems reasonable, I would think.

XJENSEN 01-31-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarabozo (Post 2591895)
I wouldn't pay more than $300, as I would have to pay $1,000 on my end to get back into the support plan and I can find current/new licenses for $1,300 on eBay.

In any case, that's if I were determined to get a perpetual license, which is hard to see as a good option these days. This is why:

I buy my Pro Tools Ultimate subscription during Black Friday. So far, Avid has offered a 20% discount during those days. So I get it for exactly $63.99 per month. I not only get Pro Tools, but also a huge plugin bundle from Avid/AiR and a license for HEAT.

It would take me almost 2 years of paying that subscription to have paid a similar amount as the cost of the perpetual license on discount, without the plugins, without HEAT, and, most importantly, I would have to additionaly pay for the support plan again every year.

I hate having to be on the subscription plan. But I can't longer see any advantage on having a perpetual license. Unless I was planning on never updating it again.

That's complete nonsense. You can still find reinstatements around €600. A new license is around €2500.

JFreak 01-31-2021 04:21 PM

I think the idea of the question was; "if the new license costs 2500 -- how much do you think would be sensible to pay for old license, considering avid is not selling reinstatements any longer and there is going to be lot of paperwork until the old license works as current (assuming some reseller still sells reinstatements)".