Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

emranrao 03-25-2004 06:06 AM

Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

I just registered with soundclick.com and uploaded couple of my instrumentals. So, go ahead and give it a listen and your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/emranmusic.htm

Emran

Mac G4, Digi 002R, Pro Tools 6, Logic Platinum 6, Reaktor 4, Absynth 2, Albino, Triton Pro X
Access Virus C, Novation Supernova IIR, Waves Platinum, Sony Effects, Mackie Mixer, JBL Monitors

Roy Howell 03-25-2004 07:47 AM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

'California' sounds good too, John. Nice warmth on the overall mix... the website looks great, by the way.

jjhuntfox 03-25-2004 12:36 PM

California was the one song I didn't record my solo live. That sound, on the lead, is a strat straight into my octopre, with a bit of Dverb. Gave it a great warm clean sound.

It's my wifes favorite song.

John

dkrz 03-25-2004 04:07 PM

Just put up my first “real” website. New orchestral sample library, new music!
Any critique at all welcome regarding the music and/or the site.

dk

badperson 03-25-2004 08:00 PM

Quote:

badperson/Jason,
Do you have a copy of 'Someday', that I played on?
thanks, Roy

Hey Roy, I just searched my hard drive, but couldn't find it. I think that file was a victim of GIANT A** HARD DRIVE CRASH II.

Which sucks, because I listened to that quite a few times, and loved what you added.

Sorry.

bp

Roy Howell 03-25-2004 09:11 PM

bp,
My copy and the session I created for it were both victims of a hard drive crash too. I lost many similar type sessions that I hadn't backed up. I tried to get the exact drive twice to try switching cards in it, and both times was sent the wrong drive, so I put it on hold for awhile. In another thread, Digi posted the name of this company that resurrects files from drives like this, and according to their rep, there's a 90% chance they can recover the files on the drive, but man....they're high. Check out these prices from an email the rep sent me...

"http://www.drivesavers.com.

The estimate to recover data from the 60gb hard drive you described is:

* Standard 1-2 Business Day Service: $900-3900.

* Economy 5-7 Business Day Service: $500-2700.

There is a $200.00 attempt fee if the data is not recoverable.

* Priority Round-the-Clock/Weekend Service: $1800-6900, with a $400.00
attempt fee.

Our pricing is based on the drive capacity, the operating system, and
the complexity of the recovery. DriveSavers will never exceed the
maximum amount quoted."

fhqwhgads 03-25-2004 11:32 PM

Hey Editor, thanks for listening. Sorry it took me so long to respond, I've been quite busy with non-music related things for the past couple of weeks. I'm new to PT, so I'm a little unclear about putting a close room verb on the whole mix. Do you mean bussing each individual track through an aux, or putting a verb plug on the master fader? Or neither? I think it's a great idea, I'm just not sure how to go about doing it efficiently or for that matter, correctly.

Thanks again!

And a general question to all...I want to make sure I adhere to DUC etiquette; is it expected that since I asked you all for input on my music, that I should do the same for others here...or would that be impolite seeing as I'm a PT newbie?

Quote:

Regarding: http://www.nbtmusic.com/mp3/worstsongever_roughmix.mp3
I like the over all drum sounds, especially the snare and the close room feel on them. I would put some of that close room on the whole mix, but just a tiny bit, like 1% to 3% bussed through an aux. track and returned to the mix, to tie the whole tonal balance together, so everything sounds like its coming from the same environment.

picksail 03-25-2004 11:51 PM

I originally posted this song on the Gearslutz and TapeOp forums as well as, various forums within the DUC. Let me know what you think and when I do get a chance to remix, what I could do differently.

"Five Bucks Gets You Nowhere"(edit)
Composed, performed, produced and engineered by Stewart Cararas
©2004 Phlorescent Beacon ASCAP

This is a track from my forthcoming album which was included on a compilation currently being pressed.
This particular song is more of a sociological satire. The parts which sound horribly cheesy were designed to sound that way. I in no way mind being the brunt of my own twisted joke.

Unfortunately, this recording wasn't intended to be released yet. I had hoped I would have been able to re-mix it but, given the time constraints regarding this release, it was virtually impossible.

At the time I was asked to be a part of the compilation CD, I was working 12/14 hour days trying to get our studio up and running. And since the studio wasn't ready I intended to bring it to Trent Reznor's place, as he has an SSL/PTHD, and mix there. But again, f**king time constraints.

The low-end punch is something I feel is missing. This definately enters into the re-mix equation. I really, didn't want to add any 'false bass presence' to the mix because I felt that the bass guitar sounded pretty good . Albeit, I wish that I had the time to have done something. It is kind of deceiving when the theme enters just after the 'quasi-industrial ostonato' and the bottem disappears. In retrospect, I would have dealt with this by continuing with the 808s on the quarter notes during the main 7/4 theme. Next time!!

I wasn't crazy about the long dramatic fade at the end, but it seemed like an appropriate segue into the next song, which was a slow meloncholy piano peice. Come to think of it, it's a very cool song performed by Rock City Morgue, Sean Yseult's (of White Zombie fame) new band.

At the time, I had to complete the mastering of the compilation CD as my deadline was 7:30 am last Monday. This was paramout. Not only did the CD have to be out the door but, also the magazine which was hosting the CD. Boy, did I learn a thing or two about magazine publishing turn-around time. These guys don't screw around. I mean, you can delay the release of an album - but a magazine, no way. Anyway, I was cutting it very close and felt that the bulk of the mastering had to be completed before I could even begin adding my song. No way was I going to compromise the entire CD for one song; not even my own.

When I was mixing/mastering this song I felt as though it was as 'finished' as it was going to be. I left the studio at 4:00 am, 3 1/2 hours before my deadline.

This is yet another example of an ALSIHAD production. Recorded and mixed within a Digi 001 w/ Benchmark DAC-1.

I guess sometimes you gotta bite the bullet just to get some press.

6.1 Mb
MP3 compressed @320 kbps
Five Bucks Gets You Nowhere

Gene Backlin 03-26-2004 07:53 AM

Site looks really nice. Music sounds great! The new library sound very good.

Take Care,
Gene

Roy Howell 03-26-2004 01:41 PM

Quote:

And a general question to all...I want to make sure I adhere to DUC etiquette; is it expected that since I asked you all for input on my music, that I should do the same for others here...or would that be impolite seeing as I'm a PT newbie?

fhqwhgads,
Always feel free to give feedback here if you want (of course). You don't sing like a newbie... ..your opinions are welcome.
-Roy