Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Dub Logs (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=167082)

firenze 05-03-2006 11:39 AM

Dub Logs

Does any one know of a software program that generates dub logs.
I still use the Digidesign legacy program "Track It". However, I have to save the PT sessions in version 3.2 and if OS 9 is not loaded on the computer, I'm out of luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

KB

JC925602 05-03-2006 07:00 PM

Re: Dub Logs

maybe this:

http://www.soundepartment.com/agent_orange.php

JC

mfranken 05-04-2006 02:52 PM

Check out EdiChart.

I'll be posting a new version within the week that has the option to combine tracks to emulate Pro Tools tracks that are summed out the same output. Also included will be selections for color printing, ability to load PT5 sessions and more.

Next on the list is implementing tagging.

Best regards,

Mark

Dan Pinder 05-06-2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Check out EdiChart.

I'll be posting a new version within the week that has the option to combine tracks to emulate Pro Tools tracks that are summed out the same output.

Woohoo!!

Pirate Post 05-07-2006 10:23 AM

Sorry, I have to ask this...why can't you watch the regions go by on the screen instead of killing so many trees?

Just don't get the cue sheet thing. Actually looking for a serious answer.

AG 05-07-2006 11:32 AM

Quote:

Sorry, I have to ask this...why can't you watch the regions go by on the screen instead of killing so many trees?

Just don't get the cue sheet thing. Actually looking for a serious answer.

There's nothing I hate more than finishing a session, sometimes at 4:am for a 9:am dub, and then having to write out dub logs. And music is cake compared to sound, so I feel for the sound guys who still do this by hand.
It's only been the last couple of years I noticed that on any proTools stage, my dubbing logs lay where I left them on day one, untouched for the length of the dub. What's the emoticon for yipee??
I can imagine that they would still be useful for big mixes where there's not enough screen space to view all the tracks or on stages where protools isn't available or easily viewable by the mixer. I suppose they could also be considered a back up, like if questions arise and the editor has left the building. Everybody makes mistakes; mixers can miss tracks (not you guys) and editors can accidently mute or unmute a region that's not supposed to be, or put on the wrong track (not me), so I can see a legit arguement for using them. I just hope no one makes it

BTW, I just did my first show where I didn't even consider doing dubbing logs, because I remembered that the mixer for the show said on this board "why use dubbing logs."

dr sound 05-07-2006 12:37 PM

Like I said, "Why use dubbing logs"? If you( the editor) lay out tracks in a manner that the Mixer requested and it is logically laid out then "Why use dubbing logs"? On my last Feature the Supervising Sound Editor handed me the cue sheets. I laughed and showed him where I'm going to put them. When the Feature was over I pointed to him and showed him that they were exactly where I left them 5 reels ago.

AG 05-07-2006 01:04 PM

Quote:

On my last Feature the Supervising Sound Editor handed me the cue sheets.

If I didn't read these boards, I would have too

JKD99 05-07-2006 03:38 PM

Hi all,
Although everything everyone is saying about "who needs cuesheets anymore?" is true (especially now that even DFC-type stages are getting used to watching a PT monitor), I do get requests from the Foley stage for cuesheets. Not for the mixer (who's shooting to PT and is using a PT session I've created for him with a blank audio region in the space for each cue) but for the artist(s), who like to be able to look ahead as the session proceeds to get ready for what's coming next.

Having said that, and being a Tape owner since it cost $1300 and now is totally useless becuase they've abandoned it, I'm definitely going to check out EdiChart; looks like it'll fit the bill perfectly. Thanks for the tip!

Pirate Post 05-07-2006 08:15 PM

It makes perfect sense that the foley walkers would need the cue sheets.

As for mixers needing cue sheets? Perhaps you can't see all of the tracks at once, not a big deal. Set up some memory locators to show you different track views. one for ADR, one for production, one for music etc. Switching views is a lot easier than dealing with a pile of cue sheets. I do believe that with cue sheets you have to turn the page<g>, and move them out of they way when you need to reach an EQ or whatever on the console. If your speed mixing (episodic television), waveforms can clue you into upcoming levels. cue sheets can't.

Save a tree, buy a bigger monitor.