Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Amplitube 5 crashes Protools as it's opening. Ideas? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414523)

nst7 03-16-2021 08:51 PM

Amplitube 5 crashes Protools as it's opening. Ideas?

I am looking to see if anyone can help, since IK Multimedia tech support seems very useless, and keeps asking me questions I already answered.

The very presence of Amplitube 5 in my plugins folder causes Protools to crash upon opening, consistently, every time. As soon as I move Amplitube 5 to the unused plugins folder, everything is fine.

This has been happening ever since it came out, and continues even with the newer update of Amplitube 5.

Other than that, Amplitube 5 works fine in standalone, and works fine as an AU plugin in Garageband, and works fine as both an AU and VST plugin in Studio One 5.

However, this only happens on my 2020 Imac 27". It does not happen on my late 2016 Macbook Pro. They both have the same latest version of Protools 2020, and both are on the same Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7.

Is anyone else having a simliar issue, or do you have any ideas?

Stephen Bond 03-17-2021 04:05 AM

Re: Amplitube 5 crashes Protools as it's opening. Ideas?

It's working fine here.

Have you trashed preferences yet? They pertain to plugins, amongst other things.

Stephen

musicman691 03-17-2021 05:33 AM

No problem here although I only have a 'teaser' version that got loaded onto my system when I updated to the new account manager software.

Side question: How is the new version as compared to AT 3 and 4? Is the sound really better?

junkgear 03-17-2021 05:41 PM

Different setups; I’m running Windows 10 with the latest version of PT and no issues with AT5. I pretty much use it daily in PT and it’s great.

Seems like you have narrowed it down to that one Mac, so like others said, maybe trash prefs and rescan plugins.

Netmania 03-18-2021 04:10 AM

No problems here. AT5 AAX works flawless in Pro Tools 2020.12.

Best

musicman691 03-18-2021 04:44 AM

I popped for the full version from the cut-down teaser version and no crashes. What I do get is a long delay before the plugin is actually usable. I play in some notes and don't hear anything until at least 5-6 seconds later.

nst7 03-18-2021 12:32 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. I have trashed preferences a few times, also uninstalled and reinstalled Protools, as well as Amplitube 5.

Someone mentioned "rescanning". Is there a specific way to do that, or are you just referring to what it does when you launch Protools?

Stephen Bond 03-19-2021 03:38 AM

If you trash the Pro Tools prefs file(s) pertaining to the plugins then it will rescan the plugin folder and set the preferences up again from scratch. If you have plugins in the 100s then you might need to move them out of the folder and do them in batches, say 50 or so at a time or otherwise Pro Tools can hang on the startup/scanning splash.

It sounds like IK MM support might be your next person to contact? I'm pretty sure the machine is up to spec?

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product...ex.php?p=specs

System Requirements
AmpliTube is a 64-bit application and requires a 64 bit CPU and Operating System.

Mac® (64-bits)
Minimal: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo (Intel Core i5 suggested), 4 GB of RAM (8 GB suggested), macOS 10.10 or later. 3 GB of hard drive space.

Requires an OpenGL 2 compatible graphics adapter.

Supported Plug-in formats (64-bit): Audio Units, VST 2, VST 3, AAX.

Stephen

musicman691 03-19-2021 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Bond (Post 2596567)
If you trash the Pro Tools prefs file(s) pertaining to the plugins then it will rescan the plugin folder and set the preferences up again from scratch. If you have plugins in the 100s then you might need to move them out of the folder and do them in batches, say 50 or so at a time or otherwise Pro Tools can hang on the startup/scanning splash.

It sounds like IK MM support might be your next person to contact? I'm pretty sure the machine is up to spec?

I've not had PT hang on startup/scanning since I moved from PT10.

He's already gotten in touch with IKMM support and gotten nowheres. Same thing with me in other cases and their support. Totally useless and even in the best of times they're slowwwww to respond. They totally stick to their script and getting to second level support is almost impossible.

EGS 03-19-2021 09:13 AM

I just upgraded Amplitude 4 to 5 on Win 10. I also uninstalled Amp4. Run CCleaner reg scan. Works here, no drama.