Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   lagging mouse ergggggg (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416867)

pie55 09-03-2021 12:53 PM

lagging mouse ergggggg

as of last week, my mouse in protools is lagging. Sometiumes it works for 15min then starts. sometimes right away.
I"m running Mac os 10.6.7 with Protools hd 8.1.1.
2 months ago I installed a new accel card upgrading to a hd3 accel system.
All cards pass digitest

Since the upgrade I've mixed 3 songs with no issue.

around the time of the start of the lagging mouse I changed the dsp cache from "use" to "NOt"

I switched it back. worked for 15-20 min then lags again.

in activity monitor the hard drive spikes around the time it lags. when playback stops, so does the lag most of the time, not all the time

Last night I was recording 2 tracks @ 88.2 and it was lagging all the time.

I've tried all the different setting in "playback", i've tried disconnecting all the external drive and usb hubs.
I've tried everything google had to offer.

I really need this fixed as I have session s all next week as grant time is emerging.
really don't know where to start

help anyone... tks

pie55 09-03-2021 01:17 PM

Re: lagging mouse ergggggg

my computer is a MAc Pro 8 core with 10 gigs of ram

pie55 09-03-2021 02:52 PM

happens in sessions with no plugins

albee1952 09-03-2021 05:52 PM

Is the mouse wired or wireless? If it has batteries, try new ones. If its wireless, try relocating the receiver. Try another mouse. I can't think of any reason for Pro Tools or DIGI hardware to have any affect on the mouse:o

pie55 09-04-2021 05:50 AM

yeah me neither.
mouse is wired, no battiries, tried another mouse.

Not sure if this is relevant, but the computer used to be real noisy. the fan on max most of the time. Now all of a sudden it's quite like it should be.
Not sure if that's just a coincidence...

JFreak 09-04-2021 06:22 AM

Update to 10.6.8 and see if it fixes the problem. There may not be anything magical about 10.6.8 itself, but making OS update refreshes some caches and low level stuff. Does not hurt to try anyway. I myself have found that combination of OSX 10.6.8 and PT 8.1.1 has been the pinnacle of PT stability so far.

pie55 09-04-2021 10:17 AM

thanks for the advice. I think it might be my boot drive. used disc utility and there are some errors on the boot.

or maybe the ram? I can't test the ram easily as I don't have the original boot drive.
if nothing else works I will try installing the new os

JFreak 09-04-2021 10:20 AM

I think you should start with updating your OS, but whatever suits you best.

pie55 09-08-2021 09:42 AM

I'm hesitant to upgrade the os becasue the boot drive has many errors.
I'm thinking of installing a fresh copy of 10.6 on a new hard drive, then all my software.

Is it recommended to update the os to 10.6.8 then install protools and my ilok stuff? or upgrade the os after protools?

And the update to protools 8.1.1. should that be done right after I install protools hd 8?

thanks

JFreak 09-08-2021 09:48 AM

First install your OS, tune it and perhaps clone it for backup purposes. Then install PT, last your plugins. Then perhaps another clone once you have verified everything works as it should.