Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How Different is Post Production? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=169120)

Matt Whritenour 05-30-2006 09:05 PM

How Different is Post Production?

Hi,

I just graduated college and now i'm trying to find some job's to get me going.
I did a Dual Major for Music Recording and New Media Production.
The Music Recording Program was Audio Engineering pretty much just for bands and stuff, and there was also a lot of theory. But no post production.

Then the New Media Technology Degree was video work/ graphic design/ a tiny bit of audio/ 3d Animation.

So I found this one job ad that is for Audio Post and I was wondering how much does Audio Post differ from just Recording bands. I am a super fast learner when it comes to this subject and it seems like the biggest thing they want out of the person is to know pro tools, which I consider myself to be great on.

These are the job responsiblities
Job Responsibilities:
• Through knowledge of audio for video and audio post
• Laybooks, conform,restore and QC
• Audio layback
• Restoration
• Encode through Protools

Job Qualifications:
• Minimum 5 year experience as audio engineer with through knowledge of mag dubbers and protools
• Must be fully capable of operating Protools System

The only thing I am nervous about is there being a huge differnce with audio for video, but I can't see it being too differnt except for possilbe levels and compression stuff, then what is layback?

any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

-matt

Ryan Young 05-30-2006 11:56 PM

Re: How Different is Post Production?

I do both, and in my experience, it is very different, in almost every aspect. Not that you wouldn't/couldn't pick it up relatively quickly, but it's like comparing an electrician with a plumber.

EGS 05-31-2006 08:19 AM

Audio/post VS music production? Quite different disciplines, in my opinion. Most engineers specialize in one over the other. If you can land the gig, I'm sure you'll learn a lot. Try to research/study everything you can find on audio/post. Good luck!!!

Charles D. Ballard 05-31-2006 09:52 AM

Quote:

it's like comparing an electrician with a plumber.

Ditto to that!!!

Quote:

I am a super fast learner when it comes to this subject and it seems like the biggest thing they want out of the person is to know pro tools, which I consider myself to be great on.

That’s a great start, but using Pro-Tools for post is quite different. I, too, came from a music background. I love working in post and would encourage you to seek out opportunities in post. However, this job is above your skill level. A mag dubber is not as easy to use as it may look. This is a very simple, yet complex machine used to record/playback magnetic film. Since the digital takeover in post they’ve been moved into the back corners of post houses and aren’t used much anymore. Could you learn? Sure. The simple fact that they list a “thorough knowledge” as a requirement tells me that they don’t want to spend the time training you on how to use it.

Quote:

• Through knowledge of audio for video and audio post
• Laybooks, conform,restore and QC
• Audio layback
• Restoration
• Encode through Protools

Some quick questions that come to mind are:
  • Are you proficient in synchronization (frame rates, sample rates, etc.)?
  • Do you know the different video formats (3/4”, BetaSP, DigiBeta, DV, etc.)?
  • Do you know the basic terminology (stems, M&E, LtRt, layback, printmaster, etc.)?
  • Do you know the basic workflow?
  • Do you know the basic delivery formats and standards?
  • Have you ever used noise reduction technology?
  • How fast are you at sound effect searches?
This is by no means exhaustive.

Quote:

• Minimum 5 year experience as audio engineer with through knowledge of mag dubbers and protools

In other words, “We’re not looking for someone right out of school with no experience.”

Like I said earlier, I would encourage you to find opportunities in post. The knowledge you have from music recording will be useful. It’s just that there’s so much more to learn for post. Look up some of the post houses in your area and see if any will let you intern. This will at least expose you to the field and you can judge if it’s something you want to continue or not.

I hope this wasn’t too harsh and helps…

P.S. Read posts from the “Post and Surround” forum on this board. You can learn a lot there.

audiogeek1 06-08-2006 08:59 AM

As Charles said the job seems to be for someone who has experience with a specific technology. Post is definitely a different beast. I do both and the mindset is very different on each. With Post I do not use beat detective or anything like I might use as a music engineer.

Before I started working in post I thought I understood what Post Production and syncronization was. Now that I have been working in Post for the past few years I realize I still have a lot to learn. Some of the biggest challenges at least for me is dealing with all the different frame rates and trying to get them in sync and maintain it through the project. Dealing with all the different delivery mediums and different laybacks that need to be done on each project.

You being a quick learner is a good thing. I feel I am a quick learner also and picked up on most of the things being asked of me at the time but it was not until recently that I started to really understand the why.

Good luck on finding something. I would definitely look into interning at a post house if you can. These seem to be some of the last places that will actually hire a staff engineer.

Mike

Charles D. Ballard 06-08-2006 10:11 AM

Hey Mike! The ironic thing is that I learned how to use a Mag machine where you are now (LDSMPS). Sweet place to work. I’m jealous. Are Michael C, Richard and Travis still there? Tell ‘em I said howdy!

audiogeek1 06-08-2006 02:28 PM

All three are here. I will tell them you say hi. When did you work here? Richard is our technical guru when it comes to timecode issues. It used to go over my head when he would talk and now I understand him and do not have to ask anymore.

Where are you at now? What kind of things are you working on?

Mike

Charles D. Ballard 06-09-2006 09:01 AM

Drop me an email...

Kryst 06-11-2006 10:52 PM

The one thing I can add to this is try not to center any audio when working with video. You want the video's audio/speech to be the main focus