Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   The Drum Room (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Room Mic for Drums (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408540)

johnbarnesiii 02-16-2020 04:16 PM

Room Mic for Drums

Hi guys,

Which mic would you recommend as a room mic for recording drums?

I have most of the mics I need for close miking, as well as overheads. What I’m looking for now is a nice room mic to give some warm atmosphere to complement and balance the close mics sound. This will be for a rock record.

I’m leaning toward ribbon mic for the room mic. Unfortunately I don’t have budget for the super high end ones. Was hoping to get something in the $500 or less used range. Se Vr1 would be one such example I guess.

Please let me know what you think, thanks!

amagras 02-16-2020 05:30 PM

Re: Room Mic for Drums

I think it depends on the style of music and mix you are working on. I have a friend who often tracks an extra mono room with a harmonica mic that sounds really good for funk and fusion and can double as an excellent blank canvas for parallel reverb and effects when I decide not to use it direct. Other styles might require higher end room mics on which I'm not an expert. I have a healthy relationship with the Slate mt-2 though.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Southsidemusic 02-16-2020 05:39 PM

We use 2 U47 and sometimes 2 C12 but these might be in another price point as you could probably get a small nice house in the suburbs of a US city ;)

But Slate ... No f’ing way! Sound harsh and not fun at all. We had the VMS One bundle and gave it away to a studio startup as they needed a mic and i was soo happy to get that crap outta here. Dont fall for the ”unfair hype” and if you want i gan send a few videos of how harsh and scratchy mids and highs it has in a vocal room built bu pros from London for over 50K so stay away.

Whats your budget? 2 414’s are a great choice as we use them for piano mics and drum room ...

Olps saw your budget and why not look for a used pair of Wam audio U87 clones. Sound amazing for the price and will be good for a long time.

albee1952 02-16-2020 07:09 PM

Hmm, a pair of Cascade Fathead II ribbons can be had with Lundahl transformers fits your budget, but I'm not sure how they would do for you. I liked them from an Americana record I did a while ago, but would not go that way for pop/rock/country. Miktek C1 is a good choice on a tight budget, as long as cardioid is all you need(Miktek C7 is 3 pattern, but out of your budget). :o

JFreak 02-16-2020 09:17 PM

For limited budget, this is probably the best kept secret

johnbarnesiii 02-16-2020 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2554445)
For limited budget, this is probably the best kept secret

Interesting, I haven’t heard about this one before. How would you say it fares between the Shure KSM32, or the AKG c314?

I’m seeing a used c314 for about the same as the Rode sells new, so just curious.

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFreak 02-16-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii (Post 2554447)
Interesting, I haven’t heard about this one before. How would you say it fares between the Shure KSM32, or the AKG c314?

Rode NT1000 compares to Neumann TLM103 (triple price) rather than the two you mentioned.

johnbarnesiii 02-17-2020 02:45 PM

Have any of you experience with the Se VR1 and VR2 ribbon mics? I’ve heard some clips on YT and really really liked what I heard. They seem to have a nice warm tone that could balance well with the crispness of my overhead condensers.

Just curious if any of you have worked with these particular ribbon mics before and what are your opinions of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexLakis 02-17-2020 05:52 PM

Lots of recommendations but zero info about the actual room. How does it sound in there? Keep in mind ribbon mics have a figure-8 pickup pattern, so they will capture what is behind them as well as what's in front. Is this what you want? If so, I'll second the Cascade Fathead IIs.

JFreak 02-17-2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexLakis (Post 2554548)
Keep in mind ribbon mics have a figure-8 pickup pattern

That is a very important thing to keep in mind, I'd say :cool: