Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Speakers POP when Control24 is powered up (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=268891)

Bender412 03-08-2010 02:49 PM

Speakers POP when Control24 is powered up

I'm monitoring thru my Control 24, Using Mackie HR824s. I'm also using a Rosetta 800 as an interface for my HD system. So....

Out from Rosetta (DB25), to Control24 "ProTools Monitor In" (DB25)
Out from Control24 "Speakers Out" (DB25) to Mackies (Breakout TRS)

When I power up the Control24, I get a REAL loud, bassy POP in the monitors - even though they're POWERED OFF! This never happened when I prevously had the Mackies connected to an analog mixer.

Anybody know why?

crizdee 03-11-2010 01:15 PM

Re: Speakers POP when Control24 is powered up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender412 (Post 1568446)
I'm monitoring thru my Control 24, Using Mackie HR824s. I'm also using a Rosetta 800 as an interface for my HD system. So....

Out from Rosetta (DB25), to Control24 "ProTools Monitor In" (DB25)
Out from Control24 "Speakers Out" (DB25) to Mackies (Breakout TRS)

When I power up the Control24, I get a REAL loud, bassy POP in the monitors - even though they're POWERED OFF! This never happened when I prevously had the Mackies connected to an analog mixer.

Anybody know why?

Hi,

You're getting a pop with the monitors powered off? that can't be right?? Where's the pop coming from then if the monitors are not powered up:confused:

Obviously you should always turn your monitors/amp on last!! and then turn them off first when shutting everything down.

If the monitors are powered down, then do you have a sub bass speaker? same applies for that? turn it on last, after you have booted pro tools and turned on the control surface.

Chris

netnoggin 03-11-2010 05:32 PM

Yes, the Control 24 has a healthy DC spike on the outputs when you throw the big switch. I just about jumped outa my shorts the first time I did it (had to duck as the cones flew by :eek:). And BTW, the first time was the last time. As the previous poster said, get your power-up/power-down order right and it's a non-issue. I just needed a gentle reminder.

But if the speakers pop with no power applied, I would check for magic monkeys. Just sayin'.

Table Syrup Records 03-19-2010 01:15 PM

Another classic DC harness issue

Assuming you're out of warranty....

look up one of the millions of threads about cleaning and reseating all the White DC Molex connections.

U should do them all while you're in there. And all the ribbons too.

At least do all the PSU DC connections and all connections on your monitor board.

And get used to it.

That or spend a stack on it, send it to Digi, have em go thru the whole thing.... fix any problems (Some u may not even know exist) and you'll get a new DC Harness too. :) WELL WORTH IT