Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Gonna go BACK in time! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=166373)

phaseout 04-23-2006 09:00 PM

Gonna go BACK in time!

Hello there,

I’m helping a friend update her PT system. She is currently running PT 5.0.1 with a 001. Her machine is a G4 466MHz with 1Gig of ram. I’d like to bring her up to OSX 10.2 and PT 6.1.

She does radio work and won’t need a great number of tracks or effects. But she will need it to be stable and be able to handle programs an hour in length.

So I guess the question is will a single processor 466 even run Jaguar? If it can run Jaguar will it choke with PT? I know a new machine is in her future but if we can squeeze another year out of this setup it would be great.

Thanks for any help.

-drew

tha k man 04-23-2006 09:37 PM

Re: Gonna go BACK in time!

The 466 is gonna be pretty sluggish running any version of OSX and PT. If she's used to the performance under OS9, might be nbest to stay there. Put it this way, I updated a 466 to OSX, and wished I hadn't bothered.

Jeremy Mix3000 04-23-2006 09:39 PM

Hey Phaseout,

I would be careful about upgrading to the new version of PT on that machine. A 466 Mhz. G4 might have a bit of trouble running OSX and PT 6.x The Digi 001 is a great piece and if it's running smoothly you may want to wait until your friend is ready for a G5. Just a thought....

phaseout 04-23-2006 10:05 PM

Thanks for the input.

Let me ask you this. What was the best internet browser for OS9?

In reality, PT is smooth with 5.0.1 and it is still a good machine. She was getting some buffer errors but when we brought her up to a full gig of ram those cleared up. Her main problem finding a modern internet browser.

She only uses the computer for PT and the internet. But her version of IE (5 something) can’t correctly display any modern websites. Our stations website was formatting incorrectly, New York Times.com changed something a few weeks ago and now the whole page is all funky. Her hotmail page was displayed with table or frame errors(?). She clicked through her favorites for me and every page looked screwbally.

There is no Firefox for OS9, Safari didn’t exist, I can’t even get an installer for IE from the Microsoft site. They just direct me to apple and Safari info. Any way I can get her on the net and not have to go to OS9?

Thanks again for the warnings.

-drew

StudioRhythm 04-23-2006 10:43 PM

She could run OS X and OS 9 on the same machine easily -- the key is to have two different system drives. I have my G5 at home set up with two system drives, one for my personal use, and one for ProTools. It lets me keep a stripped-down system for studio use with an OS version that I know is stable, and it still lets me install whatever I want for my personal use (which is great for testing stability with upgrades before I install them on the studio drive). I use OS X on both drives, but there's no reason you couldn't switch between 9 and X.

There's a startup key command that makes it real easy to switch between system drives -- if you hold down the 'd' key during startup, the computer will automatically boot from the first installed drive, which is likely already her system drive. This doesn't change which drive is selected to be the boot drive in system preferences, so if she doesn't hold down 'd' the next time, it'll boot from the selected drive. So, install OSX on a drive for her personal use in the second internal slot, and select that drive to be the boot drive. When she wants to use a web browser or whatever else, she can hold down 'd' during startup to use it. When it's ProTools time, restart, and she's back in OS 9. Works great for me.

hmorovic 04-24-2006 06:20 AM

As I was on OS9, I used Mozilla for the internet: very fast and (of course) safer then IE...!

Hope this helps,

H.

phaseout 04-24-2006 08:55 AM

Quote:

She could run OS X and OS 9 on the same machine easily -- the key is to have two different system drives. Works great for me.

Excellent Idea!

Although she already has a drive in that second slot for audio. Can you re-partition a drive in OS9 without having to blow everything out?

Quote:

As I was on OS9, I used Mozilla for the internet: very fast and (of course) safer then IE...!

Hope this helps,

H.

Excellent Idea!

Although she already has a drive in that second slot for audio. Can you re-partition a drive in OS9 without having to blow everything out?

It helps a lot! I'm surprised my google digging didn’t turn this up. Thanks for the heads up.

StudioRhythm 04-24-2006 09:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

She could run OS X and OS 9 on the same machine easily -- the key is to have two different system drives. Works great for me.

Excellent Idea!

Unfortunately you can't (even in OSX, I believe), so she'd need to back everything up and re-format, or start with a fresh drive. I don't see any reason why the OSX startup drive coudn't double as her audio drive, though, especially with separate partitions, so that should work fine. For that matter, I think she could have separate partitions on the same drive for OSX and OS9 volumes and that would work as well.

EGS 04-24-2006 09:28 AM

I'd strongly recommend a processer upgrade. I got the Sonnet 1.4 single, and my plugin power tripled. Also, get OSX Panther. Check the Digi site for latest OSX Panther compatible with the 001, and do NOT go beyond that one. Finally, get the latest version of PT compatible with 001, which is 6.4cs something. Do these 3 upgrades and it'll smoke. As far as OS9/OSX dual boot, I could not get that to work nicely on a partitioned drive, but fine on 2 separate drives. On OSX panther, Mac's Safari works great for internet.

Craig F 04-24-2006 10:52 AM

Do not go past 10.3.8
6.4.1 is the last version of LE that supports the 001