Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Mixer into Digi001 or Digi001 into Mixer? Please discuss... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=40111)

MikeC 06-19-2001 07:40 AM

Mixer into Digi001 or Digi001 into Mixer? Please discuss...

What do you do? I'm currently running my Digi001 outputs into my mixer, and the outputs of the mixer into my amp. A patchbay allows me to route synths into the Digi001 inputs when required. I'm wondering whether this is the optimal way to do things. What do you think?

Cheers,

Mike

wazoo 06-19-2001 01:49 PM

Re: Mixer into Digi001 or Digi001 into Mixer? Please discuss...

I guess it depends if you want to mix or record.

rnt_u_listnng 06-19-2001 03:50 PM

I use my mixer and other preamps outputs through a patchbay where I automatically go through compression and back to the digi inputs. I also send the digi outputs to the patchbay where I can use them to go to active monitors or to external effects processing.

Keyboards I patch in as needed or use softsynths.

This setup gives me a great deal of flexibility to use my equipment without having to rewire constantly.

Good luck

VanEdge 06-20-2001 05:05 AM

i have a mackie 1402 vlz, and i also use my PC for recording and soft synths...

i go into my mackie channels with mics, the output of the computers (for mp3 playback, etc.), and the audio from my synths.

i have mackie monitors for control room monitoring, and i also have an aiwa ****box for a/b in mixing out of the mackie.

as for the 001, i split the signal coming out of the mackie alt 3/4 bus with Y cables. this way, i can send record signals into my 001 3 & 4 ins as well as my PC soundcard in.
i leave the 001 1 & 2 ins free for other software on the mac like max/msp so i can make quick connections.

lwilliam 06-20-2001 11:04 AM

I have a Mackie 32x8 that I use with my 001.

I run the main outs from the 001 to channels 1&2 of the Mackie. The Mackie main outs go to the power amp and then to my Tannoys. I also use the Mackie "studio" output to feed a 2nd power amp for my Auratones. I have two sets of speakers always available at the turn of a knob this way.

I have all my synths/samplers and whatnot (CD/DAT, etc) running into various channels of the Mackie. When I need to record something from the board, I enable a Mackie buss, which feeds my patchbay (where all 8 busses come up). I then connect the buss output to a Digi001 input.

It's extremely flexible this way. The only issues I've run into are forgetting to turn off the buss send on the Mackie occasionally.

VanEdge 06-21-2001 12:29 AM

that's pretty much the same as what i'm doing, although stated much more eloquently.
i don't have a patchbay, though.. YET..