Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Cable Question (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=83472)

dubaifox 09-13-2003 02:47 AM

Cable Question

This may be kind of a stupid question, but hey, this is what forums are for, right?

I have just set up my 002r with five synths, MIDI interface and a 01v/96 mixing board and outboard effects. Everything fits into a neat and tidy space, except I have a veritable SEA of cables running in back of my rack. I'd like to have all of my cables shortend to minimal lengths, thinking it might cut down on cable noise. (or at least make it look more ergonomic)

The question is about balanced cables. Most manufacturers reccomend using balanced cables. All of my cables have only one black ring on the tip. Does this mean it is unbalanced?

Should I change all of my cables so they are balanced?

Any other things to consider when buying cables?

DesertDude 09-13-2003 02:59 AM

Re: Cable Question

yes, unbalanced

Balanced cables have a tip-ring-sleeve connector pin 1-2-3 - + ground

Balanced cables can help with noise and interference. The balanced cable is shielded by a foil wrapping. Better wire standards is one more thing to consider when buying cables.

hear any noise? Buy the best cables you can afford, you will hear the difference

dubaifox 09-13-2003 04:42 AM

Hey thanks for the input.

I'll figure out how long each needs to be and then have them cut to that lenght, with quality cables and 1/4 inch jacks

Hazy Hill 09-13-2003 05:00 AM

If the output is unbalanced there is no use in using balanced cable. Most synths' outputs are unbalanced.

Fot getting rid of the cable mass you can use multi-pair cables (multicord / snake)

where02190 09-13-2003 06:08 AM

Unless the output of your synths are balanced, which is highly unlikely, you'll probably get more noise using balanced cabling, as you'll be floating the neutral, sonce it has no connection in an unbalanced connecteion.

If your cabling is under 15-18', you'll not have any problems. Keep them away from video monitors and AC.

Cutting them to length is also nto recommended, as if you need to repatch, you now have a length issue. get yourself some wire ties to neaten things up, and you'll be fine.

dubaifox 09-13-2003 11:19 AM

Quote:

Unless the output of your synths are balanced, which is highly unlikely, you'll probably get more noise using balanced cabling, as you'll be floating the neutral, sonce it has no connection in an unbalanced connecteion.

Very interesting, and makes sense. I have a new Korg Triton Studio and a Roland XV-5080 and was assuming that as they are more "professional" they would have balanced outputs. After looking at the specs, found out that they are unbalanced. Thanks for the info, and I'll save myself the time and money. I also plan on using the digital outputs of both machines as much as possible, but need to figure out how to clock the 002r, 01v/96 , the Korg and the Roland and a Midi Time Piece AV together but alas....that may be a topic for a new post. I love this forum!!

valvebrother 09-13-2003 12:47 PM

Quote:

Cutting them to length is also nto recommended, as if you need to repatch, you now have a length issue. get yourself some wire ties to neaten things up, and you'll be fine.

Absolutely correct! I always allow enough cable to rearrange my gear into new racks, in differents parts of the room etc.

Wire ties can help. Cable lacing bars can help.

But the suggestion about multipair cable is also excellent and usually what works best for me in wiring racks.

http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/pro...Item=MG%2D2930

Is what I often use.

For keeping things neat running from the rack to your gear or other parts of the room when you can't lay real cable troughs, I really like these fabric/velcro cable wraps/channels; easy to add new cables to, etc:

http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/pro...seItem=FLX%2D1

D

halfguard 09-13-2003 04:13 PM

i have all my synths (that are unballanced) connected by balanced cables. will this hurt my sound quality or affect my sound in any way? should i switch them to unbalanced? i know that balanced is trs, but how would a catalog describe unbalanced? thanxx for any help. *** just when i thought i was starting to know something!!!!!!

JLMarechal 09-13-2003 05:24 PM

Why did balanced cables exist ? They are used when long connections are needed, for example a mic on a stage and the FOH console in the audience. As you have three wires (+,-, and shield), when there is noise on the line, it will be cancelled (+-=0). Usually also, the levels are differents. If you can have a balanced connection with a short cable, in a studio or at the back of a full rack, normally you won't have noise problem because of other stuff.

A very good source for quality cables is Studiospares.

halfguard 09-14-2003 12:20 PM

so it shouldnt make a difference, yes or no? i got kinda confused with what you wrote. i think you said the balanced cables are ok.