Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   core audio setup OR apple sound preference? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=93392)

Saar 01-07-2004 05:04 AM

core audio setup OR apple sound preference?

Hello to all digiusers!

in OS9, switching the sound output to digidesign hardware in the sound control panel made every sound come out of my digi001, multi client and all (it's a soundmanager thing, not a digidesign feature).

now, in osx, i understand that the core audio is not multi client. if i choose digidesign hardware in the apple sound preference panel, why is there also a "supported application" feature in the core audio setup? doesn't changing the output in apple sound to digidesign hardwrae already routes EVERYTHING to my digi001 instead of the built in speaker? it seems like double aquisition of the hardware

i'll try to remove all of the application from the supported application list - maybe then "apple sound" will be the only client and by definition - every sound from the computer (without launching Protools, of course) will be heard through the digi?

damm - all i want is to hear itunes and quicktime player at the same time!

any ideas?

g4 867, osx 2.6, digi001

Slim Shady 01-07-2004 08:36 AM

Re: core audio setup OR apple sound preference?

Quote:

all i want is to hear itunes and quicktime player at the same time!

You can't, the coreaudio driver only supports one application using the hardware at a time. You have to close one before opening another.

Katherine 01-09-2004 03:44 PM

Hi - I'm not sure I fully understood your problem, but I think I'm having the same trouble. In OS9 I have the option of "built-in" or "digidesign" in the apple sound menu. In OSX I only have "built-in", no "digidesign" option. I would like to be able to hear DVD's and QuickTime movies via my Mbox - not the crappy computer speaker. Any ideas as to why this might be, and what I could do to rectify it?

Thanks

Katherine

koko 01-16-2004 02:56 PM

Katherine,

install the Digidesign Core Audio drive 6.1.2:

Quote:

"What is the Digidesign CoreAudio Driver?
The Digidesign CoreAudio Driver is a single-client, multichannel sound driver that allows CoreAudio-compatible applications to record and playback through the following Digidesign audio interfaces on Mac OS X:
Pro Tools|HD
Pro Tools|24 MIX
Digi 002 and Digi 002 Rack
Digi 001
Mbox
Audiomedia III

Full-duplex recording and playback of 24-bit audio is supported at sample rates up to 96 kHz, depending on your Digidesign hardware and CoreAudio client application.
The Digidesign CoreAudio Driver will provide up to 18 channels of I/O depending on your Pro Tools System:
Up to 8 channels of I/O with Pro Tools|HD systems
Up to 16 channels of I/O with Pro Tools|24 MIX systems
Up to 18 channels of I/O with Digi 002 and Digi 002 Rack systems (or 18 in and 16 out with S/PDIF Mirroring enabled)
Up to 18 channels of I/O with Digi 001 systems (or 18 in and 16 out with S/PDIF Mirroring enabled)
Up to 2 channels of I/O with Mbox and Audiomedia III systems

For Pro Tools TDM systems with more than one card and multiple I/Os, only the primary I/O connected to the first (core) card can be used with CoreAudio

However, be aware that some system configurations with DCAD are said to be unstable.