Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Audiosuite plugin "squeals" (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=41499)

lwilliam 09-28-2001 11:52 PM

Audiosuite plugin "squeals"

Ok, this is VERY repeatable and annoying. I know it happens consistently with my Waves stuff, but I'm not sure if it affects all RTAS plugins or just the Waves stuff (I don't want to start another "exploding sound" topic). I'll try it with McDSP, DUY, and Digirack stuff to see if it's also repeatable there.

1. highlight a section of any audio track

2. Call up the RenEQ (or whichever Audiosuite plugin you want to test). It definitely happens with RenEQ - very repeatable.

3. click the "preview" button and let it play for a few seconds (5-15 should do it).

4. click the "preview" button again to turn previewing off and you will get a "squeal" that lasts for 2-4 seconds. I haven't got the exact frequency, but I believe it's somewhere between 1K and 2K. It's pretty loud, but not loud enough to damage anything. It's loud enough that I lower my monitoring level when running any audiosuite plugin.

I'm using PTLE 5.1.1 and Waves Native Gold version 3.2 on OS 9.0.4 G4/400 Sawtooth.

Can anyone else replicate this?

guitates 09-29-2001 10:52 AM

Re: Audiosuite plugin "squeals"

Hi Larry--I wonder why you haven't gone to 9.1...Some threads said that 9.1 or 9.2 was needed for optimal performance with the "newest" software--like 5.1.1 and Waves 3.2?

I have read about silly things like your squeal with 9.0.4. Has this only occured after upgrading to 3.2??

I have an older Mac w/G3400 upgrade and Waves Gold 2.8 (with dongle) and I have Never expierenced any issues like what you discribe. (love that C4)

Try upgrading the OS?? my $.001 [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

bassmac 09-29-2001 02:01 PM

I tried your test with Ren’s 2,4 & 6 and had no problems. (G4/500 - 9.1, Waves 3.2, PT 5.1.1)

I agree with trying 9.1, I’ve also read it cured most Waves issues.

Park Seward 09-29-2001 06:16 PM

9.1 works best. Don't go to 9.2 yet. No one has said 9.2 works best with "newest" software. If you look at Macintouch.com, you will find pages and pages of problems with 9.2 It was released to help OS X with legacy products. It will do nothing for PT users.

athlone 10-28-2001 08:58 PM

I'm as reluctant as anyone to revisit the mysterious-exploding-squealing-whatever, but it happened 5 times today, deafened me in the cans, and finally blew out something in the monitor chain. I shut the ****** thing off and haven't gone in there again.
A-A-A-R-R-G-G-H-H-H!!!!!
G4/533DP/9.1/5.1.1

lwilliam 10-28-2001 11:30 PM

My problem seems to have gone away. I didn't upgrade my OS. I DID trash the prefs and reboot.

Not a peep since...

guitates 10-30-2001 01:55 PM

Larry--What Preferences did you trash??

lwilliam 10-30-2001 02:06 PM

DAE Prefs, Digisetup prefs, and Waves Prefs.

bare-jan 10-31-2001 05:24 AM

i'm working for almost 2 years with PT LE 5.0 & Waves 3.0 on a 9.0 OS, and never had any of those "exploding sounds".
Until last week, when i installed a demo of analog channel by McDSP, i loaded the plug on an insert, then loaded a C1 on that track too, .... and there it was... awfull !!
Seems like it's a conflict between two plugins or so, i dunno
tonight i'm gonna kick those MCDSP's out of my plug-in folder, that's for sure !!!