Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Trim DSP plugin uses CPU power when inserted before a Native plugin? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=379237)

BEN6732 03-26-2016 01:50 PM

Trim DSP plugin uses CPU power when inserted before a Native plugin?

I was recently tracking a vocal session with a high track count and Autotune on each track. Of course, I had to have the obligatory DSP trim plugin on each track before the Autotune. I started having cpu-overload issues after about 80 tracks and noticed that if removed the DSP Trim plugins that a significant amount of CPU power was restored. Why does a DSP plugin use CPU power? This was on Pro Tools 12.4 on a Mac with HDX. Thanks.

priorytools 03-26-2016 04:17 PM

Re: Trim DSP plugin uses CPU power when inserted before a Native plugin?

Did you see what happens when you change that trim plug to native ?
Also … what happens when you move the dsp plug to the slot after your native auto tune

JFreak 03-26-2016 11:24 PM

Probably because when you read a track from disk, the audio data is on the native land, then you transfer it onto dsp for trim processing, then you bring it back to native land for native plugin processing, then back to dsp for mixing... Repeat 80 times and you see why this might be a problem.

Try converting the trim plugins to native and see if the cpu load actually goes down.

Brandonx1 03-27-2016 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2344651)
Probably because when you read a track from disk, the audio data is on the native land, then you transfer it onto dsp for trim processing, then you bring it back to native land for native plugin processing, then back to dsp for mixing... Repeat 80 times and you see why this might be a problem.

Try converting the trim plugins to native and see if the cpu load actually goes down.

He is doing this so the native plug in doesn't disable while the track is in record or input.

Fidelis 03-27-2016 09:03 AM

Trim DSP won't use any CPU power on its own but... When you go from native to DSP and back to native you may have some CPU power use on the hole process.

BEN6732 03-27-2016 11:32 AM

Quote:

Brandonx1:
He is doing this so the native plug in doesn't disable while the track is in record or input.
Correct. I'm not doing using a DSP Trim plugin because I want to. I'm doing it because I have to. Pro Tools HD forces you to use this workaround to get audio passing through a Native plugin while recording. I don't understand why this can't be done in the background. Why can't PT place the DSP Trim plugin on the track behind-the-scenes and then automatically disable it when not in record mode? It really slows things down when I have to do this manually on every track.

priorytools 03-27-2016 03:10 PM

Maybe you could commit / print the tracks you're tracking to rather than running all the tuning live?
Are you tuning your live record track too?

JFreak 03-27-2016 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEN6732 (Post 2344753)
Pro Tools HD forces you to use this workaround

Actually it is not PT HD which forces this workaround, but DSP processing. Doesn't happen on HD software using full native processing, for example HDN systems; can track through plugins, no problem.

It is designed to do so, it has always been like that. Only after you are in the DSP-land, you get processing. And back in the day going TDM/RTAS/TDM was even worse as it consumed double voices which I think this current workaround doesn't do any longer.

dtmprod 03-28-2016 07:08 AM

Not sure why you'd be getting a CPU hit when placing a DSP before native while recording. I do that frequently & haven't noticed a challenge. Another possible workaround is to set up an aux track that feeds into the audio track. You can set the audio input on the aux channel & use native plugins while recording on the audio track. The possible drawback is that you're permanently recording whatever effect the plugin is set to. But if you're confident about the desired effect, then one less thing to be concerned about at mix time.....

JFreak 03-28-2016 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtmprod (Post 2344900)
Not sure why you'd be getting a CPU hit when placing a DSP before native while recording.

Because audio needs to go from native to DSP (trim) and back to native (plugin processing) and back to DSP (mixing) and then back to native (for recording).