Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Ready to pull the plug. Yup - another goodbye post (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414640)

AlainZagar 03-23-2021 06:12 PM

Ready to pull the plug. Yup - another goodbye post

I think I’m done with Protools.

My annual renewal is coming due in 7 days.

I’ve been using Protools since V8 and M-audio. I’ve spent way too much time over the years finessing Protools and not enough time doing what I love which like everyone here is about the music.

I’ve been slowly switching my workflow over to StudioOne (S1) and I have to admit, I’m finally at a point where I can do so much more with the combination of Sibelius and S1 than I could ever do with Protools.

I can run Sibelius through to S1 using virtual midi and /or midi over IP. Even with dozens of Virtual Instruments and effects, I can pipe the midi to the VSTs in S1 and the CPU hardly seems loaded down. Same for audio latency.

Does it crash? Yes, but very infrequently. S1 is generally pretty solid. S1 isn’t without its issues but what I’ve noticed is that Presonus contrary to Avid, does appear to want to resolve known bugs. The community here has been begging Avid to fix existing bugs and not release new “features” until the known bugs are fixed. But that lands on deaf ears.

When it’s working, Protools works well. For up to about an hour or so. Then I have to deal with
  • Random crashes
  • Disconnects on the Command8
  • Having to trash preferences
  • Memory access violation errors
  • Hanging on Quit which necessitates forcing a reboot
  • Hang on Start
  • There are GUI anomalies
  • Scaling problems with plugins on high dpi monitors.
  • The list goes on and on.

Protools crashes on tiny sessions with one VST that are created using the built-in templates. That’s just wrong.

In my use case, I do like to edit music in notation mode. The built-in score editor is rather pointless for my needs.

Now back to my renewal. I just cannot justify the return on my investment given that the problems I and a great many of you experience just never seem to get fixed. In Canada this amounts to $330. That’s half the price of new FaderPort 8 to replace my Command8.

For what it’s worth, I did finally fix my problems with Command8 dropping offline all the time. It’s now very rare that it happens. I set up a Virtual Here (https://www.virtualhere.com/home) USB server and access the Command8 via ethernet. For whatever reason, the virtual USB port appears to be better suited to the method Protools uses to talk to the Command8 as opposed to using the built-in USB ports on the DAW machine.

I know that a lot of you get great value from using Protools. I'm finally good with the realization that it's not a good fit for my needs.

Sorry for yet another goodbye post.

Cheers and good luck guys!

Alain

[email protected] 03-23-2021 06:42 PM

Re: Ready to pull the plug. Yup - another goodbye post

I use Nuendo the majority of the time. I only use PT when a clients give me something on it. I think I have had maybe 1 error with Nuendo ever that was not a beta plugin error that crashed it. Steinberg really seems to make sure the code it working right with Nuendo and Avid just does not seem to care at all.

If it was not for people giving me projects on PT I doubt I would ever use it.

K Roche 03-24-2021 10:19 AM

Such a poignant fair well (I wonder what the physiological ramifications are of DUC likely being the only DAW forum that gets goodbye posts ) :rolleyes:

As Roy sang "Happy Trails To You"

Or as Arnold so eloquently phrased it :D

https://youtu.be/LRxaXmXvjnU

JFreak 03-24-2021 11:06 AM

Goodbye then :cool:

grayter1 03-24-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Roche (Post 2597108)
Such a poignant fair well (I wonder what the physiological ramifications are of DUC likely being the only DAW forum that gets goodbye posts ) :rolleyes:

Happens on the Reaper forum as well, but interestingly enough, I've not seen them on the Nuendo forum. As nice as the Reaper faithful are when asking for help, they can be brutal to those who break ranks (and tell you why). Lots of Bye Felicia memes and the like. It's an interesting phenomenon to witness.

tg

daeron80 03-24-2021 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlainZagar (Post 2597044)
...I can do so much more with the combination of Sibelius and S1 than I could ever do with Protools.

That's curious. Sticking with Avid for notation while moving to a competitor (which has its own notation program) for the DAW. :confused: Granted, Notion isn't quite as full-featured as Sibelius. But then, neither of them is nearly as full-featured as Finale, which works brilliantly with everything, in my experience. And Notion has pretty good integration with S1, I'm told.

I'm tempted to switch to S1 for my composing work, though my post house work will always, of necessity, be PT. At the moment, though, my HP Z440 is handling PT brilliantly as long as I remember to kill Processor Zero in Affinity. Very few problems at all. In fact, once I switched from a Digidesign interface to a Focusrite, nearly all the problems I'd been plagued with for years disappeared. :shrug:

Southsidemusic 03-24-2021 01:38 PM

Really dont understand why ”some” feel a Goodbye post is necessary and I am sorry but never seem you here so just go to whatever software that float your boat, no need to advertize leaving a ”DAW” LOL ... those ”Someones” LOL

grayter1 03-24-2021 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2597153)
Really dont understand why ”some” feel a Goodbye post is necessary and I am sorry but never seem you here so just go to whatever software that float your boat, no need to advertize leaving a ”DAW” LOL ... those ”Someones” LOL

I agree, mostly. However, it's interesting to see a list of someone's grievances when it's presented in a clear and concise manner. It can save time reading through a lot of forum posts.

tg

Southsidemusic 03-24-2021 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayter1 (Post 2597155)
I agree, mostly. However, it's interesting to see a list of someone's grievances when it's presented in a clear and concise manner. It can save time reading through a lot of forum posts.

tg

All True!

Just that if PT is this bad for anyone I believe there is more too it with system issues etc. S1 might not be the answer.

albee1952 03-24-2021 03:00 PM

Hmmm, there is no "perfect" DAW for everyone, so if another product suits your needs, then that's the product you should use. As for me:
Random crashes-Not here
Disconnects on the Command8-old hardware I don't use
Having to trash preferences-every once in a while(takes all of 20 seconds)
Memory access violation errors-never seen this(and know nothing about your computer)
Hanging on Quit which necessitates forcing a reboot-haven't seen this in years
Hang on Start-this one has happened some in the last 6 months. Force-quit and re-start PT fixes it every time(IOW, it never hits more than once on system boot). Again, 20 seconds and I'm working
There are GUI anomalies-Not here
Scaling problems with plugins on high dpi monitors.-PT is not good on 4K so I don't try to run on 4K. My 4K main screen is running at 1920x1080 and looks okay for an LED TV. If it bugged me enough, I would just buy another quality monitor.
The list goes on and on.-based on this list, I would have either gone with a different computer, or DAW a long time ago:o