Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   "punching in" question (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=261215)

Luke K 12-10-2009 06:20 AM

"punching in" question

HI,
Is there a way to set an automated punch in? say i wanted it to punch in at bar 4 but be out of record at bar 5?
If so how do i set this up?

Thanks,
Luke K

daeron80 12-10-2009 06:23 AM

Re: "punching in" question

Simply select that range of time, turn on pre-roll and post-roll and set them for the desired amount. Use Quick Punch so you have some crossfade time if you need it.

Keybeeetsss 12-10-2009 08:19 AM

David said it; but in laymen terms, & that isn't directed @ u Luke, jus highlight where & how much u want to record & follow David's steps... Just making sure u fully understand what to do...

cruisemates 12-11-2009 01:46 PM

Just a note - because this happened to me a few days ago.

The place where you set up your pre-roll time is in the transport window. Go to the "window" menu and make sure you can see the "transport" window. Furthermore, you have to see the bottom half of it. Click the arrow in the upper right corner and select "expanded transport."

It also helps to have your session set up for bars/beat instead of minutes/secs. Hopefully, you set up your original session to some kind of a click so you have a working grid. That makes it eaasier to set up your pre-roll for a simple "2 bars" for example. If not, you can still use seconds for pre-roll.

The, with the selector tool highlight the exact area you want to punch in - hit rec+play. Make sure Pre-roll button on transport window is LIT UP or else it won't work. I just had a session where I had to re-light it every time I wanted to punch in - not sure why.

Keybeeetsss 12-11-2009 02:09 PM

Actually u can just set ur pre/post roll time by holding the start key & clicking where u want the pre/post rol to start/stop...

strangeLoop 12-11-2009 02:22 PM

What I do is not use preroll or count-off, but select a bar infront of where I want to punch in along with the area where I will be recording and maybe even past it by a bar. Then put record in loop mode and record as many takes as you want. Each time it comes around to the start you get that 1 bar count into the punch. For rehersal put play in loop also.
You can also set PT8 to loop record right into playlists, but I prefer to let the takes pile up in the region bin so I can get rid of the bad ones real fast.
Don't forget to set "Record at Selection" in preferences.

simpke 06-18-2010 11:02 PM

Ok I have the area selected where I want to record. It records where I tell it to but I need a lead in. Tried fiddling with the pre roll in the transport window but didnt change anything. I just need to hear about 5 sec of the end of the midi piano track before it punches in.

tlennon 06-19-2010 12:10 AM

Pre/post roll will not work if you have enabled the Dynamic Transport. Make sure you turn it off. Otherwise just place the cursor at the lead in time you want to start and it will begin recording when it reaches your loop start point.

TOM@METRO 06-19-2010 02:46 AM

And if you set this in the transport window, don't forget to hit enter.