Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   weird problem (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=87486)

Fritz 10-29-2003 01:13 PM

weird problem

I'm transferring from Radar II to PT 5.1.3cs9 (OS 9.2.2). 1GHz Ti.
Because the orig sessions were more than 24 tracks wide, the remaining tracks will come from DA98, so I'm locking to TC.

The Radar is spitting code (29ND, I know, ugly).
Yesterday I did 2 trasnfers with no problem.
Today nada.
Same everything. New WD1200 drive in ext fanned FW case.
When I try to get sync in PB only, PT is locked (to LTC) and stays happy for 2 r'crd tracks, but no more.
When I try to record to the int drive, no problem 24 tracks wide.
Ran DW and cleaned up directories. TTPro find no probs.
Ideas............?

Rail Jon Rogut 10-29-2003 01:30 PM

Re: weird problem

a) I hope you're using a digital clock in addition to LTC for the lock... I take it you are.

b) How exactly did you format the FireWire drive, and are there any 3rd party extensions related to the FireWire hard drive installed?

What brand/model hard drive are you using?

Rail

Fritz 10-29-2003 01:49 PM

I'm not using any other clock other than the WC from the Radar. But, actually my clock ref on the USD is LTC as well as positional. I am getting a lock and speed cal. And as I said, I did this yesterday, twice.

Both drives formatted with Apples Drive Set-up.

Here's another weirdy. I just tried the same thing with another ext FW drive (both ar WD 120G/8M, new). I managed 24 track r'crds twice, then the same probs.
"waiting for sync". Yet the USD is locked.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Fritz 10-29-2003 01:51 PM

lemme go stick a dig clock on this mess and see......

Dan Pinder 10-29-2003 02:54 PM

Code-only master from digital to digital? There really isn't a reason to use LTC as a clock reference when word clock is available as a clock master. A digital clock is going to be so much more stable than one derived from TC.

LTC as a clock ref, as Rail will tell you, is great for slaving PT to tape when video ref isn't used.

Fritz 10-29-2003 03:57 PM

Re: weird problem further details

I've left out importnat parts of this silly equasion. It's Ugly!

The Radar source files are 48K that are dig transfers from the original 48k DA88 masters. The TC is 29ND. (error in orig tracking). That was all done locked to master WC and LTC from 88. I previously mixed (in analog) all this with Radar for the frist 24 tracks and DA88 for any additional tracks.
Now I want to archive in PT as it's much more available to me.
I'd thought that getting the first 24 off the Radar would be fastest, more setting up multiple 88s then anything else.
When I archive, I want to go 48k DA/AD and 44.1 to PT (where it should have been from the get go).
So I'm playing of a 48K Radar II file. The Radar is on internal sync. And, remember, 29ND. The USD, whether on Aarvark or internal, will sync lock "PB" with the Radar feeding. And it will r'crd 2 to 4 tracks in sync. But beyond that, it keeps "waiting for sync". I need the TC to lock the additional tracks when I archive them in.

It seems to me that I should be able to lock the USD and PT to the LTC (both clock and positional) from the Radar, and later the 88s. A master WC should be necessary as my source is analog. I'm doing something dreadfully stupit.

Rail Jon Rogut 10-29-2003 04:29 PM

The reason not to use LTC/LTC is because the clock suffers and you lose audio quality.

Your whole scenario sounds like a nightmare.. but the first thing to try.. without being locked (offline) how many tracks can you record to succesfully?

Rail

Fritz 10-29-2003 06:40 PM

hopefully I'll get back to this tomorrow or Fri.

I'm fairly certain I tried an offline r'crd yesterday, as a system check, and had 24 going. But I'll check again when I get back.
Thanks!

trakbytes 10-29-2003 06:50 PM

I have seen Firewire drives not want to lock to timecode when SCSI drives work just fine in the same scenario. Have you tried another drive? How about increasing your disk buffer size or increasing DAE buffer to say, 4 from 2?

It seems that since you are going analog in and changing sample rate, your USD clock reference would be best set at either internal or Aardsync 44.1, with positional reference set to LTC. No reason to have your clock constantly being derived from LTC, even if from a digital source. Obviously you can't use word clock from the Radar, as it is a diffent sample rate from your destination.

rcm

Fritz 10-29-2003 07:13 PM

tried another drive same scenario. I'll try the buffer increase. Whats' odd, is that I made it work just fine twice on 2 seperate drives. Then, I can't.

Originally I set clock to internal before trying the LTC/LTC idea. The, this eve I tried the Aard at 44.1. Locks like a champ for PB, but not r'crd.

Hopefully, I can get back on it tomorrow. What I find incredibly odd, is that I mixed this stuff a couple years ago from a combination of Radar and 3 DA98s all on master WC and TC from the Radar. The console chased TC {via MTC} and was my transport remote. All very odd. But I'll figure it out yet...... I hope.