Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Doppler help please... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=8882)

Strider 03-19-2002 04:17 PM

Doppler help please...

I'm working on a sci-fi cartoon that has a bajillion robots and flying gadgets.

So far I've been able to doppler the sound (for fly-bys) of all the ships and gizmos cause I'd had existing rocket and jet by's, etc, to use as a base, then I'd add the necessary elements to "sci-fi" those sounds out.

I've got a good sound for this one little guy, but I built it totally from scratch, and the sound is not condusive to adding other jettish sounds to help it doppler by. It's a pretty light sputtery sound.

HERE'S THE QUESTION: In other words, I have to use this sound only to create the by's from, so is there an easy way to do this? Any secrets out there for quick dopplering?

I've already tried a big bungee cord, but that didn't do anything. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I tried a search, but it doesn't appear that dopplering is a BIG concern these days!! Please think for me, my brains are running low on cells at the moment from the stress of the project.

Thanks in advance. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Redbeard 03-19-2002 04:22 PM

Re: Doppler help please...

Get the doppler plug-in from Waves. works great.

Strider 03-19-2002 06:43 PM

Thanks Red. I didn't know they had that. I'll check it out.

Just in case, does anyone know of a TCE and/or Pitch solution? It would be harder probably, but cheaper. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks.

Noiz2 03-20-2002 10:04 AM

Also GRM tools has a Doppler. They were the first and there's is more ?flexable? you can do totaly strange things. I found the waves more "realistic" but ended up getting GRM. I don't want to get critical I like them both. You can get a demo of GRM that runs for 15days I think. THe TDM (VS RTAS) is more usefull because of the limits of RTAS, can't go mon.to stereo. By the By you should play with the rest of the plugins very unique stuff.

Strider 03-20-2002 04:50 PM

Thanks everyone. (You too Brent) I guess I'll be spending some $$ after all, but will try to get as much done as I can with the GRM demo. I was trying to not spend any plug-in $$ before I upgrade sometime this year (I hope to anyway).

The lack of home-grown ideas confirms my earliest suspicions--that a doppler effect is too weird a phenom to create with bare bones tools.

Thanks again. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

BTW - I trashed that original sound anyway and built something else that works! Oh, well.

tom_mac 03-21-2002 12:40 AM

the doppler plugs are WORTH IT ...

i work in post.
of course i don't use it EVERY day,
but when it comes to animation.
i wouldn't last too long without it.

Doug Ring 03-21-2002 05:00 AM

What about the Star Wars light-sabre trick? Feed your sound into a speaker then swing a mic on the end of a long cable past it at high speed. Or use a gun mic and rotate it quickly past the speaker. Has to be worth a try!

RayS 03-21-2002 05:48 AM

I used to reproduce some doppler effects by first raising the pitch then quickly dropping it for the passby sequences.
I was using a Kurtzweill K-2000S.Any sampler will do.Use the pitch bend and set the high and low pitches.

The actual formula for performing the right pitches of realistic objects in movement is described in "Sound System engineering" by Ron & Carolyn Davis:"

Strider 03-21-2002 08:47 AM

Doug- I forgot about that trick! I read it a long time ago, and thought "how simple!" and genious too. I'll give it a go.

RayS- Yeah, that's a great way too--actually Brent Hahn also gave me that idea yesterday, but alas, I've no sampler. I know, I know, what am I doing without a sampler? I'm nuts, that's all.

Thanks! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

PS--RayS, way to go on the dance theatre innovations.