Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   how to make good easy echo in Pro Tools LE??? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=167936)

don knotts 05-15-2006 07:14 PM

how to make good easy echo in Pro Tools LE???

What is the best way to use the delay and/or echo for hip hop vocals? If you justy want the last word in a ine to echo, do you need to send it to a new track? Insert? send? aux track? audio track? or can you just select it and go to the plugins? and how can i get it to be on beat? I see there is a way to enter BPM, but what else should you click on?

Kryst 05-15-2006 07:29 PM

Re: how to make good easy echo in Pro Tools LE???

You know, a good cheat that works specifically well for this idea is to copy the vocal track of the word, or words, desired, pop them into a new track, and then move it over to the right (so it comes after the main vocal track's timing). Turn down the new track a little and either add some delay, or duplicate it over and over again, fading it out gradually, letting you get the trailing off vibe.

JFreak 05-15-2006 11:53 PM

Do you want to have

a) exactly last word echoed, or
b) echo filling the gap between the lines?

If it's the first one you want, just copy the last words to another track and process it how you like.

If it's the "dynamic delay" you're looking for, then you need to learn how to use sidechains. (Here's a tip: double the vocal track and make the delayed duplicate "duck" when there's material in the original lead track only revealing its content when the original track is silent.)

Naagzh 05-16-2006 07:02 AM

Quote:

What is the best way to use the delay and/or echo for hip hop vocals? If you justy want the last word in a ine to echo, do you need to send it to a new track? Insert? send? aux track? audio track? or can you just select it and go to the plugins? and how can i get it to be on beat? I see there is a way to enter BPM, but what else should you click on?

1. Create a stereo aux track, and select as its input an available stereo buss (say, bus 1-2).

2. Insert your delay of choice (I'll presume Digirack short, medium, long, etc.). Click on the metronome button on the delay plug-in (remember that wooden pendulum thing on top of the piano?). This enables the delay time to be set according to the tempo of the session. Now enter the tempo in bpm in the small window next to the slider, and select the timing of the "echo" to be quarter, half, whole, eighth, sixteenth, etc., dotted, straight, swung. and so forth. Note: If you have, for example, a short delay and try to select the half note, the chances are good you'll need to switch to one of the longer delay plugs to accomodate the longer delay time.

3. Create a send on the vocal track to bus 1-2, and don't forget to raise the fader on the send.

4. The default feedback setting on the delay plug is 0%. This translates to one "tap" or "echo". Increase or decrease the feedback to get more taps. Feedback of 100% equals infinite taps.

5. Adjust the LPF on the delay to get rid of some high end on the "taps" for a warmer sound.

6. Play away! Sometimes delays sound more interesting with a distortion or other filter. Also mess with the modulation, or set different feedbacks for different sides (left, right) of the delay. The Beastie Boys and Run DMC records demonstrate delay tempos where the timing was slightly slower than the tempo of the song. Or, print the output of the delay to another track, then pitch-shift or flange or whatever with Audiosuite.