Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Listening Session - Home Studio Version (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=137562)

doylemusic 05-23-2005 12:56 PM

Listening Session - Home Studio Version

Alright, so I was thinking..."How can I contribute to the DUC?". I mean, you have the DAVEC test, Best PC thread, and Roy's listening thread. So here is something that I think may assist you in your mid to low priced gear purchases. Hopefully I can keep this going for a while.

The first edition is Mic Locker.

Below are links to 6 different mic sound files. I'm no singer, so I played my trumpet. Here's the skinny:

These sound files are comprised of 6 different mics (RODE NTK, Shure SM57, Sennheiser E609, MXL57, Apex 435, and Shure KSM32). I have not labeled the files, as to allow you to hear them with an unbiased brand opinion. All files were recorded at the same time, with all mics running through a Digimax Lt. Take was recorded with the bell about 16 inches from the mics. With the exception of a little compression, no affects were added (EQ or otherwise).

mic setup

Take a listen and see which you prefer, maybe even try to match the mic with the sound file. I have listed the soundfile answer key on my website (main page, bottom left corner) main page

mic 1

mic 2

mic 3

mic 4

mic 5

mic 6

all mics

I hope to do a similar excercise with voice, gtr and drums in the future. Also using different mic pres as well. Hope this helps someone. Thanks

superpenguin79 05-23-2005 02:17 PM

Re: Listening Session - Home Studio Version

nice! Excellent way to get a good listen to some mics. I hear one in particular that I have added to my wish list. lol Thanks for the listen though Doyle!

bigbubbaj 05-23-2005 03:44 PM

Man that 435 is nice on trumpet!!

My top 3

Apex 435
Sm57
NTK

Shure ksm32 is almost unlistenable!

BUT the ALL version really sounds awesome!

doylemusic 05-23-2005 04:07 PM

Quote:

My top 3

Apex 435
Sm57
NTK

Interesting....

bigbubbaj 05-23-2005 04:16 PM

Whaddya mean?

you like other ones better?

Well i suppose people hire us for the way that WE hear!

doylemusic 05-23-2005 04:19 PM

My first response to the 435 was that I didn't like it on trumpet. I like the ones that hype the mids and lows more, the 435 does seem to be a bit truer though.

superpenguin79 05-23-2005 04:38 PM

Quote:

man, honestly I thought the KSM32 was one of the best IMHO... I would go with the 435 second caus it just has this cool sort of almost displaced vibe going on with it that makes the trumpet sound like it has a guitar tremelo arm on it somehow... lol I honestly didn't dig the 57 caus it seemed like it had way too bright of a texture to it somehow... *shrugs*

Doyle: you did an awesome Trumpet job though btw! Its great to see lots of talented musicians around the boards.

doylemusic 05-23-2005 05:09 PM

charlie, yeah I liked the ksm32 also. It's interesting to see what different people like. When I'm doing jazz sessions, I like the ksm32 on sax and the ntk on trumpet. Thanks for listening.

superpenguin79 05-23-2005 05:29 PM

yep, all a matter of what works for the style of music I guess.. I was just talking with a friend that works in a post house the other day for example that was telling me how his mentor used a ribbon mic for a kick drum...... I instantly cringed and was thinking... "mic replacement" but there were little tricks that he did to make the ribbon keep in tact and it sounded awesome I guess... *shrugs* all in the technique also I guess.. lol anyways, thanks again for the listen man. Very cool!

doylemusic 05-24-2005 08:33 AM

Whatever gets the job done.

superpenguin79 05-24-2005 01:30 PM

here's an afternoon "bump" for this thread. any other mic samples today guys? This is actually a really cool idea.

Doyle: don't mean to rain on your parade man, but this would be a really cool idea for everyone to post their mic lockers for all of us to hear diff. mics maybe? what do you think?

IntelDoc 05-24-2005 02:05 PM

Interesting idea, but not all mics will work ya know. Depends on the instrument really? Agreed....

Sax may sound like butt through a 012, or vocals on a 012.... kinda thing.

- Doc

spkguitar 05-24-2005 02:11 PM

Plus if you've got really nice mic preamps like our buddy DOC here, it's going to sound WAY different.

doylemusic 05-24-2005 03:34 PM

That was my idea. I hope to post a similar thread in a week or so using Vocals. Next will be guitars with different mics. Maybe Drums next. Then after that I will post using different pres, of course I'll need a little help from my gear guru Doc. Doc, I'll shoot you an email offline so we can colab on that one.

Yeah, I'm hoping this method may be useful for someone in the market for gear. Trying to provide unbiased samples for you to audition. Right now, I'm trying to keep the mic pre out of the scenario (perhaps I should have used 001 pre's). Thanks fellas, there will be more to come....whether you like it or not.

superpenguin79 05-24-2005 04:14 PM

Quote:

Interesting idea, but not all mics will work ya know. Depends on the instrument really? Agreed.... Sax may sound like butt through a 012, or vocals on a 012.... kinda thing.

- Doc

lol that would be a pretty good thing to try for a Foley crew for a comedy.... anyways....

yeah, all depends on the instrument though and the pre's...

tempest18 05-25-2005 03:13 AM

Hey Doyle,

This is a rather good idea but because of all the different variables it makes for quite an unfair test.

I think you should record all you mics through the 002 pres so then we atleast no everybody could achieve that particular sound through their stock pre's

Just a thought

BTW my favourite was the 435 although the ksm32 did have a nice scratchy sound to it.

Thanks

Chris Tempest

doylemusic 05-25-2005 06:30 AM

Quote:

Hey Doyle,

This is a rather good idea but because of all the different variables it makes for quite an unfair test.

I think you should record all you mics through the 002 pres so then we atleast no everybody could achieve that particular sound through their stock pre's

Just a thought

BTW my favourite was the 435 although the ksm32 did have a nice scratchy sound to it.

Thanks

Chris Tempest

Chris, I agree with you, but I was trying to capture it all in one take so that the performance will not vary. I will use the same pre's on the next round of mic tests. Thanks

tempest18 05-25-2005 10:04 AM

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Chris, I agree with you, but I was trying to capture it all in one take so that the performance will not vary. I will use the same pre's on the next round of mic tests. Thanks

No no,

I understand and a good job you did. I just thought for people like me who only have the standard 002 pre's it would be nice to see how those mics really sound through something basic.

The NTK didnt sound very sweet to my ears at all. I was a bit disappointed actually because thats the mic I use for everything(my only mic ) and it would usually perform well.

Also, nice trumpet playing! My grandad used to play a little. I tried but could never get anything except horrible sounds.

How much do those 435s run for if you dont mind me asking?

I have a birthday coming up

Thanks

Chris Tempest

superpenguin79 05-25-2005 12:07 PM

KSM 32 Silver

KSM 32 Black

they run between $400-$500, but are well worth it to add to the mic locker. I added one to my wishlist also...

btw.. Happy Birthday in advance Chris!

doylemusic 05-25-2005 01:20 PM

Quote:

No no,

I understand and a good job you did. I just thought for people like me who only have the standard 002 pre's it would be nice to see how those mics really sound through something basic.

The NTK didnt sound very sweet to my ears at all. I was a bit disappointed actually because thats the mic I use for everything(my only mic ) and it would usually perform well.

Also, nice trumpet playing! My grandad used to play a little. I tried but could never get anything except horrible sounds.

How much do those 435s run for if you dont mind me asking?

I have a birthday coming up

Thanks

Chris Tempest

Hey no problem, I think I know what you mean. I actually like the NTK, but usually I run it through my 1272....really nice. I know where you can pick up some 435's for a good price, shoot me an email. Thanks

tempest18 05-25-2005 02:22 PM

Those 1272's look very nice. I'll have to start earning before I pick up something like that. I'm just stook with a simple focusrite for now. Its not too bad

Thanks Superpengiun I'll be 19, 2 months time but it soon comes around!

I cant wait for another mic!

Do they sell the 435's in UK?

Thanks

Chris Tempest