Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Listening Session - Home Studio Version (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=137562)

superpenguin79 05-24-2005 01:30 PM

Re: Listening Session - Home Studio Version

here's an afternoon "bump" for this thread. any other mic samples today guys? This is actually a really cool idea.

Doyle: don't mean to rain on your parade man, but this would be a really cool idea for everyone to post their mic lockers for all of us to hear diff. mics maybe? what do you think?

IntelDoc 05-24-2005 02:05 PM

Interesting idea, but not all mics will work ya know. Depends on the instrument really? Agreed....

Sax may sound like butt through a 012, or vocals on a 012.... kinda thing.

- Doc

spkguitar 05-24-2005 02:11 PM

Plus if you've got really nice mic preamps like our buddy DOC here, it's going to sound WAY different.

doylemusic 05-24-2005 03:34 PM

That was my idea. I hope to post a similar thread in a week or so using Vocals. Next will be guitars with different mics. Maybe Drums next. Then after that I will post using different pres, of course I'll need a little help from my gear guru Doc. Doc, I'll shoot you an email offline so we can colab on that one.

Yeah, I'm hoping this method may be useful for someone in the market for gear. Trying to provide unbiased samples for you to audition. Right now, I'm trying to keep the mic pre out of the scenario (perhaps I should have used 001 pre's). Thanks fellas, there will be more to come....whether you like it or not.

superpenguin79 05-24-2005 04:14 PM

Quote:

Interesting idea, but not all mics will work ya know. Depends on the instrument really? Agreed.... Sax may sound like butt through a 012, or vocals on a 012.... kinda thing.

- Doc

lol that would be a pretty good thing to try for a Foley crew for a comedy.... anyways....

yeah, all depends on the instrument though and the pre's...

tempest18 05-25-2005 03:13 AM

Hey Doyle,

This is a rather good idea but because of all the different variables it makes for quite an unfair test.

I think you should record all you mics through the 002 pres so then we atleast no everybody could achieve that particular sound through their stock pre's

Just a thought

BTW my favourite was the 435 although the ksm32 did have a nice scratchy sound to it.

Thanks

Chris Tempest

doylemusic 05-25-2005 06:30 AM

Quote:

Hey Doyle,

This is a rather good idea but because of all the different variables it makes for quite an unfair test.

I think you should record all you mics through the 002 pres so then we atleast no everybody could achieve that particular sound through their stock pre's

Just a thought

BTW my favourite was the 435 although the ksm32 did have a nice scratchy sound to it.

Thanks

Chris Tempest

Chris, I agree with you, but I was trying to capture it all in one take so that the performance will not vary. I will use the same pre's on the next round of mic tests. Thanks

tempest18 05-25-2005 10:04 AM

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Chris, I agree with you, but I was trying to capture it all in one take so that the performance will not vary. I will use the same pre's on the next round of mic tests. Thanks

No no,

I understand and a good job you did. I just thought for people like me who only have the standard 002 pre's it would be nice to see how those mics really sound through something basic.

The NTK didnt sound very sweet to my ears at all. I was a bit disappointed actually because thats the mic I use for everything(my only mic ) and it would usually perform well.

Also, nice trumpet playing! My grandad used to play a little. I tried but could never get anything except horrible sounds.

How much do those 435s run for if you dont mind me asking?

I have a birthday coming up

Thanks

Chris Tempest

superpenguin79 05-25-2005 12:07 PM

KSM 32 Silver

KSM 32 Black

they run between $400-$500, but are well worth it to add to the mic locker. I added one to my wishlist also...

btw.. Happy Birthday in advance Chris!

doylemusic 05-25-2005 01:20 PM

Quote:

No no,

I understand and a good job you did. I just thought for people like me who only have the standard 002 pre's it would be nice to see how those mics really sound through something basic.

The NTK didnt sound very sweet to my ears at all. I was a bit disappointed actually because thats the mic I use for everything(my only mic ) and it would usually perform well.

Also, nice trumpet playing! My grandad used to play a little. I tried but could never get anything except horrible sounds.

How much do those 435s run for if you dont mind me asking?

I have a birthday coming up

Thanks

Chris Tempest

Hey no problem, I think I know what you mean. I actually like the NTK, but usually I run it through my 1272....really nice. I know where you can pick up some 435's for a good price, shoot me an email. Thanks