Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Premiere export - Pro Tools import (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=150055)

Stig Eliassen 10-25-2005 06:26 PM

Premiere export - Pro Tools import

Hi.

I'm about to start my first post production for a short movie, and basically....I haven't got a clue. This gig just landed on me. So let me ask about some basics:

- Will all the audio regions in Premiere contain timeline information so that they can be spotted correctly in PT?
- How do I import and spot all the audio regions from Premiere? Do I need any additional software to get started?

Thanks in advance.

gerax 10-26-2005 02:04 AM

Re: Premiere export - Pro Tools import

The best thing you can do is export an OMF file and open that in Pro Tools (BTW, which version and hardware are you using?).
OMF files contain all of the audio files and crossfades used in the video editing already spotted at their exact position, with basic volume maps and levels; so you have an head start and can just work from there, smoothing the mixing, adding sounds, panning and doing your thing.
Obviously this ability in Pro Tools comes at a price: to be able to open OMF you need Digitranslator, which is sold separately or as part of DV Toolkit which also adds some other capabilities and post useful features (Timecode rulers and a pair of handy plug ins). You can find them in the Digistore for download.
If you don't (can't) want to purchase the Digitranslator then it can be done by rendering all of the audio tracks from the same start (usually the first frame if the picture), then lining them up in PT and cutting them back to the needed size; an alternative could be to use time stamped .BWF files (if Premiere has this ability) and Spot load them in pro Tools; a bit time consuming, but doable.

Hope this helps.

L.G.

Stig Eliassen 10-26-2005 06:18 AM

Hi.

Thanks for replying. PT software version and hardware is listed in my profile. I will check with the video editor what possibilities Premiere has. I will also read up on Digitranslator and DV Toolkit.
Thanks again.

Frank Kruse 10-26-2005 06:25 AM

Just because you have digitranslator it doesn´t mean the OMF from Premiere will open. Premiere is kinda famous for bugs and not working transfers. You should test a small sequence first and see what gets translated.
Some "exotic" apps don´t translate volumes, clip-names and other details...

frank.

Stig Eliassen 10-26-2005 01:38 PM

If that is the case I'm probably better off importing audio that's been consolidated from start to finish.
Thanks.

minister 10-26-2005 02:25 PM

i'm with frank... i have never gotten an OMF from premier that translated either. MAC or PC version. consolidated track audio is best.

rantanplan 10-26-2005 08:01 PM

Someone told me that the only way to get a usable OMF out of Premiere is to remove all tracks of a project but the one to export. Then you export a EDL file with the EDL Manager. So you have to make one project for each audio track you want to export, which only contains that ONE audio track.... Then you import the EDL in Avid and reallocate the source media files. After you have done this for every EDL you export the OMF from AVID.

I hope u understand what I mean

Good luck!

berk 10-26-2005 11:08 PM

Hi
You can try this product
the catch is audio keyframes become gain automation in OMF (clip volume, not track volume or audio gain)
it's around $500

cheers
berk

Stig Eliassen 10-27-2005 09:04 AM

Hi.

The video editor uses some lighter version than Premiere Pro so I'm probably stuck with "full-lenght" audio tracks for now.
Thanks, guys.