Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   will avid make eleven rack drive for m1 Mac (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417914)

1783242 11-22-2021 12:43 PM

will avid make eleven rack drive for m1 Mac

hi guy , will avid make eleven rack drive for m1 Mac? or avid give up the eleven rack ?

thank you guys

Darryl Ramm 11-22-2021 01:07 PM

Re: will avid make eleven rack drive for m1 Mac

Hi Welcome to DUC.

Avid is not good about providing roadmaps/future information. Folks here either have no idea, or if they work for Avid and do know they are unlikely to say. On the positive side were happily surprised by driver updates in April of this year.

The Eleven Rack makes a great outboard box, so with a suitable interface (ideally with S/PDIF or AES/EBU digital out and in) the box will work on M1 independent of any Eleven Rack drivers. And if folks don't think they are useful as a outboard box without being an interface, I'll happily make an offer for their "useless" box :-)

DonaldR 11-22-2021 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2620088)
The Eleven Rack makes a great outboard box, so with a suitable interface (ideally with S/PDIF or AES/EBU digital out and in) the box will work on M1 independent of any Eleven Rack drivers.

I'm looking for such USB interfaces but only found Audient ID14 and higher models (on the affordable side of usb interfaces).

Darryl Ramm 11-22-2021 11:10 PM

The Audient ID14 only has S/PDIF In on TOSLINK (switchable between S/PDIF and ADAT). It does not have AES/EBU or S/PDIF output so you can't reamp purely digitally. And you would need a TOSLINK to coaxial adapter. So personally I'd avoid that interface.

The lack of AES/EBU etc. on many interfaces frustrates me. An example being the UAD product line. Some UAD interface have one in and some have an in and out, and that's supposed to be enough.

Sweetwater has a product finder that lets you specify interfaces with digital ins and outs. e.g. ....

https://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB...VMvRUJVKSJdfX0

One example I'll point out is the MOTU Audio Express USB / FireWire Audio Interface. That has S/PDIF coax in and out for ~$395. MOTU seems like the Rodney Dangerfield of audio interfaces. They make nice stuff but don't get as much respect as I think they should.

BTW if you look at the next tier of pricing, a nice interface is the RME Fireface UCX II including because it has both S/PDIF input and output, and AES/EBU input and output (and those can be used to do S/PDIF if you want just with a cable adapter) and (single port) ADAT In/Out for ~$1,500.

Once way to go for higher-end interfaces that have ADAT In/Out is to use an AES/EBU to/from ADAT converter. RME used to make a range of them, ADI-4 DD, ADI-8 DD, ADI-192 DD, and they do AES to/from MADI etc.

The solution for me is an RME ADI-192 DD going ADAT into an ADAT to MADI box and then a MADI interface. That gets AES/EBU Out to a monitor controller, and AES/EBU In and Out to a couple of Eleven Racks and a Fractal FM3 (S/PDIF out only), and I'll be adding a FX III. That's more than you are asking about but I got so frustrated with lack of digital I/O on many interfaces and I will never go Pro Tools Ultimate/HD (but for folks who are there they have great AES/EBU IO options).

DonaldR 11-29-2021 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2620124)
MOTU seems like the Rodney Dangerfield of audio interfaces. They make nice stuff but don't get as much respect as I think they should.

Pouaaahhh :D:D:D:D

As you confirm not too much audio interface with SPDIF i/o. I don't have the need to reamp so the Audient ID14 might be what I'm looking for (I already have an spdif converter box). The other interfaces you mentioned are way out of my budget for a bedroom recordist. And since the 11R has a limited lifespan I might end-up in the future using my Atomic Ampli-Firebox any way which only has analog out.

I have an old Mac Mini mid-2010 that is supposed to support digital input, I will do some testing as that might my cheapest solution.

Thanks a lot.

JFreak 11-29-2021 09:35 AM

Remains to be seen. Avid Eleven Rack final sale date was 30-JUN-2019 and therefore final support date would be 30-JUN-2024. Even so, they have their hands full of other things, somehow I am thinking those drivers are not in very high priority.

moff 12-14-2021 01:06 AM

The 11R was a great product, but Avid never really seemed to be behind it, and when most of the development team moved on (or were laid off), it essentially became an abandoned product. The surprise driver in April 2021 was a welcome thing, but only for Intel users, and as is normal for Avid, designed for a MacOS that was a year behind, so was pretty much obsolete by the time it was released. Apple had announced their intention to convert to in-house silicon a year or more prior, and had begun shipping Apple-silicon machines minths before the release.

I’m OK using my 11R into my interface via SPDIF, but it would be nice to have an M1-compatible driver with full functionality. Given Avid’s history though, it’s probably just a pipe-dream.

DonaldR 12-15-2021 05:08 AM

What is your interface with spdif I/O?

JFreak 12-15-2021 05:13 AM

Does it matter? Even my lowly Apogee Symphony mkII 2x6 has SPDIF for two channels...

Darryl Ramm 12-15-2021 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2622644)
Does it matter? Even my lowly Apogee Symphony mkII 2x6 has SPDIF for two channels...

Uh Finish humor? (You have to give us a warning if so) US$4K is not low end for many folks, and yes it matters or folks would not be asking.