Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Playback momentarily stops when editing within playlists (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=410443)

midnightrambler 05-28-2020 04:00 AM

Playback momentarily stops when editing within playlists

Does this not bug the hell out of anyone else? It never used to do this. I honestly think I would prefer to have the old system back. It feels like such a basic thing, to be able to move clips about without playback stopping, that I can't believe anyone at AVID thinks this a compromise worth having in order to have whatever new fancy playlist functions we now have. It's so, so horrible. How on earth are you supposed to edit anything together on the fly with this spluttering and stopping? You can't even move from a track in "playlist" view onto another track without it stopping, even if the clip is on the "top" playlist. You can't even delete clips without it pausing! Jeez.

It's so bad. Did I tell you how bad I think it is? Bad, that's how bad.

Wolfgang Eller 05-28-2020 04:48 AM

Re: Playback momentarily stops when editing within playlists

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2567413)
You can't even delete clips without it pausing!

I removed some clips with cmd+B and it worked.

midnightrambler 05-28-2020 06:43 AM

Yeah, on the top playlist. Now try doing it on one of the other lanes.

Wolfgang Eller 05-28-2020 09:27 AM

Could you exactly explain what you are doing?
I really don't get it.

Maybe I never worked the way you do.

midnightrambler 05-28-2020 10:11 AM

It look like it's another one of those intermittent bugs, I can't get it to do with it with just one track playing. Let me get back to you with a recipe...

mtmusic 05-28-2020 10:28 AM

Yep, I've experienced this issue and I hate it. It is indeed bad :-)

The basic formula is, have a track or groups of tracks with alternate playlists. Go to playlist view. While playing back, make any kind of edit to an alternate playlist (i.e, cut a clip, move the clip, delete the clip, etc). The playlist that you're editing doesn't have to be solo'ed for it to momentarily stop

I think this is some kind of buffering issue? I seem to only be able to recreate it when there are a lot of playlists, some plugins on the track, that sorta thing. Still super annoying though, and didn't used to be an issue. I think it started to happen when they introduced the target playlist features

seanmccoy 05-28-2020 11:54 AM

He's talking about playback being momentarily interrupted when making any change of any kind to a clip on an underlying playlist. I've experienced this off and on through quite a number of updates over several years, so it's not new. It only happens in certain projects, and to this day I've never been able to identify a common factor. It is most annoying when it happens.

rosshc44 10-18-2021 04:36 PM

Anyone come up with a solution for this?

Still happening in Pro Tools 2021.06

Any tips would be appreciated!

-Ross

seanmccoy 10-18-2021 05:16 PM

No, it's still there in 2021.7. It only happens with edits to stereo files on Playlists. Very annoying, and incredible that it's been this way for so long.

rosshc44 10-18-2021 07:02 PM

Ya that's weird. It seems to happen randomly thou. In the session I'm in, 20 drum tracks comping in playlist mode, it does the glitch, but then on the bass tracks, 3 tracks, no glitch same operation...:confused: