Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   End of the line for our faithful Digi 001, (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=103915)

CV 04-21-2004 09:49 PM

End of the line for our faithful Digi 001,

Following the release of Pro Tools LE 6.4 software, Digidesign will no longer continue to include support for Digi 001 systems in future Pro Tools software releases. In order for Digidesign to continue developing new features, refine existing ones, and develop new products, it has become necessary to focus feature development and testing on our currently manufactured hardware. In order to facilitate this, we must end software development and maintenance for Digi 001.

Save with Exchange Programs
If you’re a registered Digi 001 owner and you’re interested in moving to supported Digi 002 products, Digidesign is now offering two Exchange Programs that give you the opportunity to do so at discounted pricing.

CV 04-22-2004 10:56 PM

Re: End of the line for our faithful Digi 001,

I'm surprised that I haven't seen more people comment on this issue here...maybe I'm not searching the right threads..

ajazzie 04-23-2004 01:19 AM

"If youre a registered Digi 001 owner and you're interested in moving to supported Digi 002 products, Digidesign is now offering two Exchange Programs that give you the opportunity to do so at discounted pricing."

Maybee you will see more when you get a better option than the 001, I for one dont like buying something then having the rules changed, New OS, New Mac, New Plugs, and being forced into it.

Sory, but the 002 and the 002r have now forced our hands, I understand that its so called progress , but this constant shell out is #$&#^%! annoying.

You cant just exchange the 001, you have to change your whole setup again.

mindnoise 04-23-2004 02:49 AM

Quote:

though I agree with your other statements I think this one is BS.

WHAT do you have to change with the identical I/O features of the 001 and the 002(r)?

the functionality is the same.

regs

where02190 04-23-2004 04:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

WHAT do you have to change with the identical I/O features of the 001 and the 002(r)?

regs

For us users of the 001 happily running under OS9, it means a NEW OS(OSX-$130) which potentially could mean having to get a new computer, or spending money to upgrade our current one to make it capable of runnign OSX, upgrading all our plugins(potentially thousands of $$$) for not alot of improvement. $700 to "exchange my 001 for better converters(that we don't need as we have outboard converters) 2 more preamps with no pad switch and too hot an input, phantom power on the back of a rack mount unit along with the +4/-10 switching....no thanks.

It's a way for digi to try to force us to spend more money in order to be up to date. We're not going for it, and when the time comes we need to upgrade, we'll be looking toward other software manufacturers other than Digi. They may be the so called industry standard, but they are hardly the only choice.

mindnoise 04-23-2004 05:46 AM

hi where and all the others,

OK I see your point, the rest of the upgrade problem is highly individual however.
And the pure exhange of a 001 to a 002 doesn´t affect the workflow itself.
But I understand the issues involved

If you have any usefull insight on the low/mid end production solution, please let us/me 001 users know.

The upgrade to the 002 is 900 Euros that is some $1000 in Europe just to bo able to do exactly what I can do now.
If not for the easy uncomplicated interface of PT compared to Logic, Cubase and Nuendo (YES they can do more things - which I don´t care about) I would switch, no question.

As I see it emagic and Steinberg f+++ their users at leat three times a year with new expensive upgrades and if you don´t upgrade you will loose your upgrade path.
Well digi accumulates that up to once every four years (since I bought my 001) big time.

So which trade off is better.

perhaps the option is on a different path,

perhaps something like Ableton and Numerology and an multichannel DAC.

But WHAT do you get for $1500? This is a point where DIGI can´t easily be beaten.

any further suggestions?

I don´t feel like downgrading to an MBOX.

regs

Chris Coleman 04-23-2004 07:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

regs

For us users of the 001 happily running under OS9, it means a NEW OS(OSX-$130) which potentially could mean having to get a new computer, or spending money to upgrade our current one to make it capable of runnign OSX, upgrading all our plugins(potentially thousands of $$$) for not alot of improvement.

The 002 still runs on OS 9.

Dutchmuzik 04-23-2004 08:47 AM

Where how do you figure this
Quote:

upgrading all our plugins(potentially thousands of $$$)

I have seen people say this as one of the big complaints for going to OSX. I think it mostly applies to the ones using the "free" versions. When I upgraded my plug-ins to OSX PT 6 TDM it cost me about $700 ($540 for Waves) that includes the following Waves Platinum TDM, Waves Restoration, Amp Farm, Echo Farm, Soundblender, Drawmer Dynamics, Access Indigo,Focusrite D2/D3,Analog Channel, Compressor Bank, FilterBank, MC2000,UA LA2A, UA 1176,Serato Pitch 'n Time,Serato Scratch, MDW EQ,Maxim,D-FI,Pitch Doctor,Sony Oxford EQ,Reverb One,Auto Tune 3, Battery, FM7, B4, Kontakt,Atmosphere,Trilogy,Stylus,Boesendorfer 290, EWQLSO,GPO,Reason. So show me how it will cost you thousands. Waves really charges the TDM user a lot but all these plugs on RTAS would have cost maybe $300. What plug-ins do you own that will make it thousands ? I for one am VERY happy that we now have iLok and good copy protection. It's hard walking into a studio that has the same plug-ins that I legally purchased and they have a CD laying on the desk with every plug-in available (that was os9). I walked into Sam Ash 2 days ago and took a look at their PT6 OSX plug-ins and guess what, Atmosphere[k] Plugsound[k] in their list of plug-ins, makes me SICK.Almost all plug-in manufacturers give you the OSX version for free.Maybe this is Digi's way of putting a stop to all that.

where02190 04-23-2004 09:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

regs

For us users of the 001 happily running under OS9, it means a NEW OS(OSX-$130) which potentially could mean having to get a new computer, or spending money to upgrade our current one to make it capable of runnign OSX, upgrading all our plugins(potentially thousands of $$$) for not alot of improvement.

The 002 still runs on OS 9.

And is even more money to "upgrade". the 002R is OSX only.

As far as options, Digital Performer IMHO has it all over PTle. No 32 track limit, no "you gotta use our hardware or the app won't launch" restructions... that alone makes it attractive.

I enjoy working in PT, but this is a slap in the face to anyone who purchased an 001 IMHO. It hasn't been a legacy unit for even a year yet, how does the recent buyer feel, their basically new toy is no longer supported. Our unit is 3 yrs old. In order to stay competitive, Digi is forcing us to spend more money to do the same as we are now. No thanks Digi. screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me. How long before the 002R goes the same fate for the 003?

As far as the plugins upgrades go, I said potentially. It of coruse would depend on yoru initail investment and the individual manufacturers policies on upgrades.

IMHO Digi sees the number of sales of 001's and figure they can cash in on them once again. for this user, they thought wrong.

A2D D2A 04-23-2004 10:07 AM

[/QUOTE]

IMHO Digi sees the number of sales of 001's and figure they can cash in on them once again. for this user, they thought wrong.

[/QUOTE]

Where, I think where the problem came in was DIGI allowed the 001 to live too long (remember it started with the B&W G3).
When the MBox was released a improved 001 type unit should have accompanied it, instead of continuing the line.
The 001 had a very long life considering the only upgrades it saw were software related.
Take MOTU for instance 2408 (20-bit analog unbalanced rca) 2408mkII (24-bit analog and balanced i/o)
2408mkIII ( smux and higher rates).
There will always be the risk of a long life product because someone will always be able I just got this and it's end of life because it has been in the classic inventory purge world for sometime.
If this looks bad then please don't buy a Digital mixer, technology leaves them behind very quickly.
Also I would definitely go with Logic before DP.