Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Pro Tools 8 bouncing icon. Will not launch. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=272381)

LAJay 04-22-2010 10:52 AM

Pro Tools 8 bouncing icon. Will not launch.

Hey guys, we've had this problem on a few of our editorial rigs in the past. But it seems like it's happening more and more often. I've searched this out in the past and all the help seems to be only for Tiger OS 10.4.11 w/PT7...BUT we're running OS 10.5.8 w/PT8.

I've got one particular editor where from day to day PT will act weird. One day he'll come in and it won't launch...it'll just bounce in the dock and other days it works just fine. We've tried reinstalling PT8 and that will sometimes makes a difference. But we can't just do that every time he has the problem. That's just too time consuming. We're on a schedule here in TV editorial. Of course we've restarted the cpu and all peripherals to no avail. I've tried to launch from the applications folder directly. No change. Today I finally shut down the entire system and unplugged the pwr cord on the CPU for a few secs. I plugged it back in booted up the entire system and wouldn't you know it..PT started up w/no problems. Now this is weird b/c he shuts his system down completely every night. (obviously he doesn't pull the pwr on the cpu every night)

Any ideas on this? So you all know, all our systems are cloned directly from our master drive w/all our programs installed. So we have over 60 PT systems ALL running the same version of PT and OSX.

Thanks for your help.

Jason

djgizmo 04-22-2010 11:08 AM

Re: Pro Tools 8 bouncing icon. Will not launch.

Hmm. How old is the pt rig ? Is it only this specific rig that is having problems?

If it is but the rig is less than a year old, sounds like u might have a memory stick going bad. Also if u have an original image of the box might recommend reimaging the box to try to eliminate a software issue as you need to start eliminating possible issues.

LAJay 04-22-2010 11:20 AM

I use the same image for all our systems. All our systems have the same programs and everything else on them. All preferences are the same too.
Now, it just might be a bad memory issue...but it's a new cpu out of the box 2 months ago.

tonwurm 04-22-2010 01:11 PM

did you check your disks ? (primarily the system disk - I prefer disk warior for this task), did you repair user-permissions ? (with disk utility or disk warrior), clear the pram (press 'option-cmd p+r' during startup)

I had similair problems and this helped, maybe it´s worth a try

JamesH 04-22-2010 01:50 PM

Just a thought, but have you tried re-seating the protools cards and checking that the snake cables are firmly secured?.......solved a weird issue I had a year or two ago.

LAJay 04-22-2010 02:16 PM

Yes, I forgot to say that I did repair permissions. Maybe later when he's not on the rig I'll run some diskwarrior on it.

LAJay 04-23-2010 12:20 PM

So, I went through all our TV editorial systems and updated to cs2. Now I have about 2-3 systems having the same problem. Although cs2 fixed a picture playback problem...where if they went past 25 minutes in the reel and it would show the countdown as the picture to the audio. Weird stuff!

LAJay 04-23-2010 12:22 PM

I also forgot to mention that if we let the bouncing icon to bounce, it'll eventually stop at about 1.5 mins...then it just sits there for about 3-4 minutes w/nothing happening...eventually it'll start to open PT but that will take another 3 or so mins. This is really weird b/c it's happening on a couple of systems. WTF?

kindman 07-28-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAJay (Post 1597350)
I also forgot to mention that if we let the bouncing icon to bounce, it'll eventually stop at about 1.5 mins...then it just sits there for about 3-4 minutes w/nothing happening...eventually it'll start to open PT but that will take another 3 or so mins. This is really weird b/c it's happening on a couple of systems. WTF?

I am having the EXACT same problem that you describe. Did you find any solution?

PT HD2 8.0.4
Mac OS X 10.6.4
2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2

crizdee 07-28-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kindman (Post 1643454)
I am having the EXACT same problem that you describe. Did you find any solution?

PT HD2 8.0.4
Mac OS X 10.6.4
2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2

Read these stickies first...

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=240754

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=193634

Chris