Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   using 2 screens in PT - how do you do it? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=189722)

propofol 02-13-2007 03:12 AM

using 2 screens in PT - how do you do it?

double screen image
I'm hoping to use a spare screen like in this pic - one for Edit screen and the other for Mix screen.
Does anyone know how to do this??
Tim..

nightingale 02-13-2007 11:05 PM

Re: using 2 screens in PT - how do you do it?

i just connected the cable from the extra screen into a port on my mac book pro laptop and turned the monitor on. then i open the window i want and drag it across the origiginal screen and it comes into view on the other screen.

globaleric 02-14-2007 07:10 AM

Your hardware (graphic card) must support the extended desktop (dual screen) feature. I.e. PPC iMacs were only able to mirror the standard display on the external connector, unless some hack was applied.

If it's supported on your hardware and once you've connected and switched on your second monitor, select 'Arrangement' under the display preferences where you can define the extended desktop (2nd display) properties. Using the example in your pic, you'd want to drag the extended desktop to the left side of your standard desktop with the menu bar.
After saving/closing that, start PT and drag the mix window and maybe some plugins to the left - they'll appear on the 2nd display. Those new window positions are stored when the session is saved.

From now on it's a good idea to have the 2nd monitor already connected and switched on before launching PT.

Leadfinger 02-14-2007 01:55 PM

It's really easy - if you are on a powerbook (like me), just plug it in and go to System preferences/Displays to tweak how you want it to appear.

propofol 02-14-2007 10:53 PM

Thanks for the great tips
I use a PC, so will that make a big difference as well?
I have a digital and analogue output on my laptop for external monitors.
Would it be possible to run both??
Tim..

globaleric 02-15-2007 02:09 AM

On the PC you have a very similar thing under the Settings tab of the Display Properties for arranging your monitors. Try this only when the 2nd monitor is connected.
If you can see 2 different monitor icons '1' and '2', then dual display is supported on your hardware - tick the 'Extend my Windows Desktop...' checkbox if not already done.

Your monitor outputs are most likely "parallel" - unless your graphics card supports 3 logical desktops (triple head) which you should see as 3 monitor icons under the display Settings tab.

propofol 02-16-2007 09:33 PM

I got it all working - thank's for the advice guys..
I just had to stretch PT across the whole area so I can split the Mix and Edit screens to each monitor..

Tim..