Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Is DP3.1/UAD/Powercore an realistic alternative (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=23399)

poppy 02-25-2002 11:41 AM

Is DP3.1/UAD/Powercore an realistic alternative

I'd love to get some opinions from seasoned users on this one.
I'm considering buying a HD 2 system but it costs alot (for me anyway).
I got DP3 recently and I am really getting to like it!
I could buy a Dual 1 gig Mac and, a couple of 896 interfaces, a UAD card and a TC powercore
for alot less than A HD 2 system.
I think this would be awesome.
My main concern would be that I think Protools will attract clients and DP 3 may not.
What do you think?
[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Digital Sound Lab 02-25-2002 11:44 AM

Re: Is DP3.1/UAD/Powercore an realistic alternative

I have not used DP but another alternative might be a used mix plus system.

Philthy 02-25-2002 02:31 PM

You could do a lot with a system like you mentioned, but you're right about the Digi logo carrying some weight with certain customers. It's partly due to the fact that PT is widespread in studios and makes for easy compatibility. It's also got something to do with ProTools being designed as an audio platform first and a MIDI sequencer second, unlike DP. You might want to find a way to see a PT TDM rig in action before you decide. And that used TDM system mentioned above is not a bad idea.

poppy 02-26-2002 09:10 AM

Bump! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

scottgreiner 02-26-2002 10:36 AM

Latency and lag time on host-based systems drives me nuts! It doesn't seem like it would be an issue in theory, but in the real world it makes a huge difference. I've also heard that there is different amounts of latency between the host plug ins and the different processor cards. Ty keeping track of all that! At least in ProTools, you always have a readout of the plug in delay.

andyo 02-26-2002 11:27 AM

Poppy - If you already use TDM I can't imagine going host based. But if you are a newcomer it may not bother you. We have 2 TDM rigs where I work and everytime I work somewhere else on something else I go crazy.

Most of our clients could care less about what we use as long as it's done ASAP and on budget.

We have a stable of composers that use everything from DP to the AMIII card, to Logic, to ADAT's - you name it, we deal with it.

Since I have to deal with a variety of situations - I prefer PT with Logic on the front end.

If I was setting up a home rig for my own use (which I am), I would have a tough time deciding which way t go (which I am).

I hope my vague reply helps! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Andy