Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Best synth and drum instrument for PT11 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=341934)

xiphos 07-17-2013 05:46 PM

Best synth and drum instrument for PT11

Hi-new to the forum and PT. Coming over from Cubase, and I guess none of the VSTs I have will be of any use in PT11.

I would like advice/opinions on the best synth and drum VI to acquire first, with cost being a definite concern. I dont do a whole lot of synth work, so one synth VI with lots of flexibility and ability to run multiple instances should be sufficient for now. Also need a drum VI similar to toontracks DFH. I suppose Superior 2 will work, but its kinda spendy and maybe overkill for me.

thanks in advance.

YYR123 07-17-2013 06:33 PM

Re: Best synth and drum instrument for PT11

Reason vst into Pro tools via rewire

All ur vst's all ur same presets all 64bit

FLi 07-17-2013 09:11 PM

Xpand, the synth/sampler that comes with PT is really good, it works right across the board so maybe check that out before buying anything. The Korg Legacy Collection (digital edition) is also really good and balanced.

I used to own a lot of analog synths so that's where my headspace is but I also find the older synths (and their VI equivalents) tend to be a lot more versatile than the new synths. The Arturia collection would also be a great package to look at.

Ultimately though nothing beats a decent sampler, so either Structure, Kontakt it Mach5 will fulfill either most of, if not all of your needs.

Reasons cool but having to open 2 apps just to write some music can be a bit painful. Well for me at least.

DAWgEAR 07-17-2013 11:28 PM

Toontrack Superior Drummer 2 or EZ Drummer for drums and UVI Workstation (free) with your choice of synth sample libraries (paid) would be my picks from what is currently AAX 64 bit.

Or buy REAPER (less expensive) or Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 (more expensive) and use your current virtual instruments.

Benoni 07-18-2013 12:43 AM

Well if you are talking a real soft synth and not a sample player, then FXpansion Synth Squad should cover alot of ground on the synth side.

For drums, I like BFD2.

Both of these are not currently AAX, so you will have to use them in PT10 until they get ported over.

Something else to look in to would be the AIR Instrument Expansion Pack 2.0.

I also agree with getting Reason 7, that will cover more ground on the synth side and give you a bunch of other effects.

If its a Sample Player you are looking for Native Instruments Kontakt is the standard.

What are you using now for synth and drums? Are you happy with it? That would give us a better idea of what to suggest.

YYR123 08-05-2013 09:10 AM

I swear I can see the tumbleweed rolling by as the OP has ridden out into the sunset.......Never to be seen or heard from again......:D

Ok so Im bored at work....guilty as charged.;)

DonaldM 08-05-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2070242)
I swear I can see the tumbleweed rolling by as the OP has ridden out into the sunset.......Never to be seen or heard from again......:D

Ok so Im bored at work....guilty as charged.;)

Don't let your boss see this, then! :eek:

YYR123 08-05-2013 09:28 PM

On the phone - so he can't see my Internet activity :D

juanmanuel 11-04-2015 08:45 PM

any drum software download for pro tools 11 in mac?

albee1952 11-05-2015 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juanmanuel (Post 2308195)
any drum software download for pro tools 11 in mac?

You have more choices than fingers(probably):D
BFD (sounds great, don't have it)
Addictive Drums(sounds great, quite easy to use, works super-easy with E-drums
EZdrummer2(sound great, works great, use it a lot)
SuperiorDrummer2(sounds great, use it a lot, it loads all the EZdrummer kits as well as all the SD2 kits)
Steven Slate Drums(sounds great, never used it)

I know there are other options, but the common thread here is; they pretty much all sound great. Which suits your needs is the tricky part. I would hit each company's website(or youtube) and have a listen.