Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   iLok won't surrender an existing 9+10 bundle license for 11 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=341707)

Meads 07-12-2013 12:37 PM

iLok won't surrender an existing 9+10 bundle license for 11

I'm doing maintenance for a fellow studio. They bought 3 PT11 licenses to upgrade their existing PT10 systems. While I was able to get this task done on 1 of the systems, I'm stuck with the second now.

I do have an iLok2 with the 9+10 bundle license on it. I drag the PT11 asset to this iLok, then I'm prompted which license I would like to surrender. I get to chose between two PT10 licenses that are registered with this account, but the one bundle on that iLok doesn't appear as an option. It's not being seen.

Could anybody help here? I don't seem to be able to open a ticket with iLok or Avid without having to pay for it. And with all this mess done by Pace frankly I don't see, why I would have to pay to get THEIR issues solved.

Thanks in advance for any kind of assistance here!

nigelpry 07-12-2013 02:02 PM

Re: iLok won't surrender an existing 9+10 bundle license for 11

This issue is already covered in other threads. You've bought the wrong upgrade.

People who bought PT10 new got a PT10 licence, while people who upgraded from PT9 got a bundled PT9+PT10 pair of licences.

If you look at the PT11 upgrade purchase options carefully, you'll see there are separate upgrades, at the same cost, for PT10 to PT11 and PT9+10 to PT11.

The bad news is you'll have to apply for a refund on your incorrect purchase, then, when you've got the money back, make the correct purchase. How you go about getting the refund depends on who you bought it from.

People in the other thread on this subject have reported it taking up to ten days to get their money back, and that's where they bought it direct from Avid, who use a third party to manage the store. You have to apply to the third party, not Avid.

It's a pain, for sure, and Avid have not done themselves proud on this, as in many other PT11 related problems.

However, if you need PT11 pronto, you can get a 30 day fully functional trial licence that will keep you going while it is sorted out.

Meads 07-12-2013 02:07 PM

Wow, that I wasn't aware of. Thank you very much for clearing that up.

I have been following some of the iLok related troubles with PT11, but this particular issue is news to me.
I know this upgrade has been bought second hand, so there's not going to be a refund. Tough luck, I guess. And I agree, not one of the proudest moments in Avid's history.

Thanks again for chiming in, Nigel!

nigelpry 07-12-2013 02:45 PM

Wow, second hand upgrades for sale already? Amazing.

Maybe whoever sold the upgrade to you had also bought the wrong version, and was having problems getting a refund? Worth asking!

You could try messaging one of the good Avid guys on the DUC like Bruce Paine and asking if he has any suggestions, or if there are any levers he can pull.

One other problem is that whereas ownership of PT10 licences could be transferred from one iLok account to another, PT11 has changed Terms & Conditions and those licences cannot be transferred to another iLok account, from what other people have been saying.

So whether Avid will play ball to help you out I don't know. The PT11 upgrade licence is already in the iLok account from what you say, so it's stuck there.

The final option is to find someone willing to swap PT10 licences with you before they upgrade to PT11. If you do a swap, then you'd have to correct PT10 licence to upgrade, and they could then order the correct upgrade type for the licence they now have.

Of course unless you know a willing candidate I guess you'll have to provide some financial inducement, plus you'll have to pick up the iLok licence transfer fees, to achieve a swap like that.

Basically you'd need to find someone with a PT10 licence willing to swap it with your PT9+PT10 licence bundle.

Meads 07-12-2013 02:49 PM

Thanks for trying to help me out here, really appreciate it!
I'll contact Bruce, I know he's a nice guy. Maybe he can give me a hand here.

nigelpry 07-12-2013 03:02 PM

I've also PMed him to alert him to the thread.

Meads 07-12-2013 03:15 PM

Thank you. :-)