Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Dealing with track counts (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=372554)

Inglesworth 09-30-2015 12:43 PM

Dealing with track counts

This may have been discussed already, but I have to get it off my chest. The new way Pro Tools (non HD) deals with too many tracks is absolutely absurd.

In older versions, it would basically take any tracks over the maximum track count and make them inactive. I could still deactivate a group of tracks and activate the others if I needed to access them for any reason.

Now in 12, Pro Tools just completely deletes the tracks from your session before it actually opens up! WTF?!?!?!

What I really want to know, is who thought that was a good idea? And I sure hope they aren't employed anymore.

wwittman 09-30-2015 02:38 PM

Re: Dealing with track counts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inglesworth (Post 2298959)

What I really want to know, is who thought that was a good idea?

the marketing people who want you to think that if you need more than X tracks, you "need" to buy HD

TOM@METRO 09-30-2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inglesworth (Post 2298959)
This may have been discussed already, but I have to get it off my chest. The new way Pro Tools (non HD) deals with too many tracks is absolutely absurd.

In older versions, it would basically take any tracks over the maximum track count and make them inactive. I could still deactivate a group of tracks and activate the others if I needed to access them for any reason.

Now in 12, Pro Tools just completely deletes the tracks from your session before it actually opens up! WTF?!?!?!

What I really want to know, is who thought that was a good idea? And I sure hope they aren't employed anymore.

I hadn't noticed this. Are you sure? I don't spend much time in non-HD, but what happens if you send an HD session to Vanilla and then bring it back to HD? I'll have to look into this.

amagras 09-30-2015 02:47 PM

Maybe is a bug...

mesaone 09-30-2015 03:09 PM

Is it possible these tracks are disabled and hidden, instead of deleted?

TOM@METRO 09-30-2015 05:50 PM

This has been reported. We're waiting for an answer.

Inglesworth 10-01-2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2299001)
I hadn't noticed this. Are you sure? I don't spend much time in non-HD, but what happens if you send an HD session to Vanilla and then bring it back to HD? I'll have to look into this.

Several things happen moving back and forth from vanilla/HD:
VCA faders are deleted
Tracks wider than stereo are deleted
Tracks above the vanilla track count limit are deleted

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that really get me on a regular basis. In some ways, I understand the VCA/multichannel tracks, as these have been HD (or CPTK, for us "older" folk) since the beginning. But just indiscriminately deleting tracks? I mean, come on.

Inglesworth 10-01-2015 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesaone (Post 2299004)
Is it possible these tracks are disabled and hidden, instead of deleted?

Absolutely not. The message that comes up when loading a session (and I paraphrase) used to say something like the extra tracks above your track count will be made inactive. Now the message actually says that it is deleting the tracks and not inactivating them.

john1192 10-01-2015 11:36 AM

oh please .. how in the hell can this happen unless someone has changed the Code ..

nigelpry 10-01-2015 02:02 PM

Deja vu as far as my thoughts on this go ....

shambles,
fiasco,
beggers belief,
etc etc