Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Pro Tools 12 one year subscription over before new features show up (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=367871)

G374 05-13-2015 04:00 PM

Pro Tools 12 one year subscription over before new features show up

What is going on with pro tools 12? I'm getting the feeling that my 1 year subscription will be over before the new features I thought I was getting show up.

Obsidian Dragon 05-13-2015 04:15 PM

Re: Pro Tools 12 one year subscription over before new features show up

Protools 12 came out on 3/23/1015. So it's only been about 51 days (not even two months). Give them some time. Avid is still struggling to get this botched roll out straightened out. Besides, Avid has always been on the slow side when it comes to adding features, bug fixes, updates, etc. Software development and testing aren't easy and it is time consuming. It is one of the risks for customers that buy into the subscription model. If it doesn't work with your situation or meet your expectations, you can let it lapse at the end of the year. Consider it a lesson learned and only buy the upgrade when you see features worth getting. It may cost you a little more in the long run but you won't be buying something before it comes out, or comes out after your subscription period ends as are you are fearing.

G374 05-13-2015 04:36 PM

Re: Pro Tools 12 one year subscription over before new features show up

Protools 12 came out on 3/23/1015. So it's only been about 51 days (not even two months). Give them some time. Avid is still struggling to get this botched roll out straightened out.

Really!!!

Wasaia 05-14-2015 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon (Post 2261378)
Consider it a lesson learned and only buy the upgrade when you see features worth getting. It may cost you a little more in the long run but you won't be buying something before it comes out, or comes out after your subscription period ends as are you are fearing.

Shouldn't it be the other way 'round? Shouldn't the vendor be more careful with a new release? Shouldn't they think before releasing in a hurry?

Obsidian Dragon 05-14-2015 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G374 (Post 2261384)
Protools 12 came out on 3/23/1015. So it's only been about 51 days (not even two months). Give them some time. Avid is still struggling to get this botched roll out straightened out.

Really!!!

Yes, really.

Obsidian Dragon 05-14-2015 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasaia (Post 2261500)
Shouldn't it be the other way 'round? Shouldn't the vendor be more careful with a new release? Shouldn't they think before releasing in a hurry?

At the same time we get people like the OP asking why new features and bug fixes are not released yet.

You can't have it both ways. Either you get a rushed, inadequately tested release or you wait a long time to get a more stable, adequately tested release. Avid does not have unlimited resources and therefore must juggle these two opposing factors when deciding to put out a release.

Look, I'm not defending Avid. In fact, I've jumped ship already. I just stay here on the forum to help because I've used Protools for about the past 12 years. My beef with Avid is not about software so much as it is with business decisions by management.

Justin1524 05-14-2015 09:55 AM

Is it reasonable to ask Avid to give dates as to when the collaboration features will be released? I think so. "Coming soon" is a bit nebulous dontchathink?

zion 05-14-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon (Post 2261527)
At the same time we get people like the OP asking why new features and bug fixes are not released yet.

You can't have it both ways. Either you get a rushed, inadequately tested release or you wait a long time to get a more stable, adequately tested release. Avid does not have unlimited resources and therefore must juggle these two opposing factors when deciding to put out a release.

Look, I'm not defending Avid. In fact, I've jumped ship already. I just stay here on the forum to help because I've used Protools for about the past 12 years. My beef with Avid is not about software so much as it is with business decisions by management.

They should have just perfected there support plans and the Collaboration feature first and then release PT 12 when they really had something to offer. They kind of got the cart before the horse. If I must wait (which I can understand waiting for a stable product) they must wait for my money. Many of us really don't need the support plan but I must say that was a really clever way to get fast revenue. :eek: Either way we are still waiting!

Emcha_audio 05-14-2015 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin1524 (Post 2261539)
Is it reasonable to ask Avid to give dates as to when the collaboration features will be released? I think so. "Coming soon" is a bit nebulous dontchathink?

As far as I remember, as a traded public company they can't really give dates for up coming releases. On the other hand it would be as bad for them if they did and couldn't keep that date because of an issue that would have crept up during testing.

mesaone 05-14-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emcha_audio (Post 2261555)
On the other hand it would be as bad for them if they did and couldn't keep that date because of an issue that would have crept up during testing.

Absolutely. Anyone remember a company called Slate Digital? Many users were emphatically unhappy and very vocal about their unhappiness, when Slate did this several times in a row. I can't imagine users being any more forgiving if Avid did the same thing.