Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   OT: So, what do you think about the iTunes Music Store? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=54192)

J. Guerrero 04-28-2003 01:39 PM

Re: OT: So, what do you think about the iTunes Music Store?

Damn! It's working now for me... I still can't buy songs, but it's excellent! When they start to accept international orders I'm gonna go crazy buying Joe Williams' albums and songs... I just love this thing!

John H 04-28-2003 02:17 PM

Watch the nic video on the apple site, it's the funniest thing to come from apple since the ellen feiss switch ad [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

People might have one or 2 things to say about how wide the reality distortion field can go if you read the quote from video stream (which I couldn't connect to and had to read about on a site)

Apple's songs are encoded at 128Kbps, which Jobs claimed "rivals CD quality". In fact, he said, it's better than CD quality, since Apple has in many cases used original masters to create is song library, rather than ripping a stack of CDs.

Yeah right!!

I hope they make the service international before they add windows support, it bugs me enough that apple live in their own deluded little world as far as exchange rates and pricing are concerned, leaving europe and everyone else out of even more of their typically USA-centric stuff is just a little bit annoying IMHO.

At least they clearly don't have an ongoing policy geared towards total global dominance like microsoft/DR Evil. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

OzzyOsmond 04-28-2003 02:31 PM

Apple's found yet another way to make money getting us to upgrade to OS X. Still, I'll gladly pay $.99
for a song as long as it's good quality. I'm sure apple hope's we'll all buy ipods and fill it with 30 Gigs of music purchased from them.

Slaterman 04-28-2003 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by John H:

Apple's songs are encoded at 128Kbps, which Jobs claimed "rivals CD quality". In fact, he said, it's better than CD quality, since Apple has in many cases used original masters to create is song library, rather than ripping a stack of CDs.

Yeah right!!

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think that's true. Remember, they're talking about MP4, not MP3. "AAC audio files compressed at 128 kbps (stereo) to be virtually indistinguishable from the original uncompressed audio source," according to "experts."

yeahmon 04-28-2003 04:14 PM

I downloaded Itunes 4 and have found that it does not work with the core audio, hopfully there will be an update to the driver.
You can purchase internationally as long as you have a credit card with a US address.

tha k man 04-28-2003 09:18 PM

Lets hope punters take this idea on, and actually buy music online, as opposed to trolling thru MP3 sites to rip off our music.
Wouldn't that be novel?

Twinstream 04-28-2003 09:51 PM

Itunes4 does not work with the latest core audio here either, Itunes3 did. Saw one other report at Apple discussion board stating same. I just forked out 9.95 for my first album purchuse. Apple has something here.

J. Guerrero 04-29-2003 12:48 AM

OT: So, what do you think about the iTunes Music Store?

I wish I could actually try it, but I'm not in the States. Has anyone bought a song with iTunes 4? Easy? Stable? Cool?

PhiDelta308 04-29-2003 01:25 PM

I'm very impressed...and already spent way too much money on it! I've downloaded a couple of albums that I've owned before either on cassette tape or had a cd of and lost, and it's great. The audio quality is impeccable. The revolution will be downloaded!

-Chris

J. Guerrero 04-29-2003 01:49 PM

Hey guys, I can only hear the streams, not buy. But I was wondering if the quality of the downloaded AAC is better or the same as the one of the 30 secs demo streams... cause so far, the streams have very good quality. Can any of you guys that have bought the albums answer that? Thanks!