Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Soft synth vs Hard synth! Reason, Pro 52, V Statio (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=87730)

Jak 10-31-2003 11:31 PM

Soft synth vs Hard synth! Reason, Pro 52, V Statio

I posted recently asking for advice on hardware synths. Im thinking of either Virus C or one of the Waldorfs. But now, thinking of just staying soft after talking to my friend.

I just got Reason and I have pro 52, and they sound good, but just wondering what the DUCs opinion is on soft synths. I know a lot of producers are just going soft now. Im doing hip hop, drums on battery and Reason, and just need some sounds on top of it. whats the quality like on soft synths? And any softs youd recommend. V station? FM7?

Thanks

Homebelly 11-01-2003 02:16 AM

Re: Soft synth vs Hard synth! Reason, Pro 52, V Statio

Any of the ones you have just mentiond are great,,my personal favourite is ABSYNTH,,but it aint RTAS yet,,I'm also very excited about getting the VST to RTAS wrapper that will be out soon,,i'm a little curiouse how it will handle MIDI,,but i'm sure thats been thought about and then the possabilitys become almost boundless,,theres a whole heap of realy cool free VSTi's out on the web,,and no not just kraks,,as for whats out there now do a search for the MOOG MODULAR others that i'm keen to take a look at when the wrapper becomes available are the NOVATION synths,,, Also PLUGGO 3 will be OSX this month and thats got some simple but very cool synths in it,,infact the whole package is well worth the money,every protoolian should have it,,

mindnoise 11-01-2003 04:15 AM

Re: Soft synth vs Hard synth! Reason, Pro 52, V St

NO Soft Synth for me, except on a seperate Computer!!

Iīve tried the the modular V itīsound OK but the thousands of unregognisable small knobs and connections are such a hassle adn the swithcing between the plug and the host programm is so unnverving. It leaves you with absolutley no feeling for the synth.
As do most Softsynths the try to emulate a vintage style Interface instad of using the possibilities and limits of a GUI.

Buy a hardsynth, it takes the load of your CPU and is much less hassle.
VIRUS and Waldorf are GREAT, I can also recommend one older Oberheim Matrix (6, or 1000 with PC editor/or sounddiver) they soudn really great and arenīt so expensive.

I would buy at least a VIRUS B since the new OS6 is also running on them, and has a lot of presure and modulation possibilities and 32 voices and sharp like a combatknife. The Q series has a slightly more versatile/complex modulation matrix, sounds a hint dirtier and with an OMEGA you get 75 voices, menaing you can run 16 different instrument patches with up to 4 simultatious notes through it. if thatīs not enough, and the arppegiator in the Q is more like a step-sequencer -GREAT
Both receive constant OS upgrades.
I have a microQ and a friend uses a VIRUS, best get them both you have a that can be acquired with synthetic sound:-))
also check out the clavia nord modular, this thing is great!!! Itīs like reaktor in a hardwarebox.
from FM synthesis to subtractive synthesis to drum machine to multi fx, you can programm wht you like, and ther are thousands of patches on the net.

And at last there is the tactile satisfaction - grip real kobs is so mmuch more fun than sliding the mouse!!! If you decide for softsynth also get a control surface, say doepfer drehbank or Evoltuion UC33 or something like that, itīs so much more fun that way.

just another opinion trying to help.
if your want to look further for soudn hardware try this:http://www.sonicstate.com and use the search box for the synth you like to kow about.

best

Dopamine 11-07-2003 05:47 PM

mindnoise is on point! totally agreed on all points. hardware synth are cheaper now and definitely the way to go.

pk_hat 11-07-2003 06:06 PM

I said it in my previous post (in your similar thread) and I'll say it again. If you're wanting to experiment with hardware, go to the store and audition a few, then decide for yourself. They each have their own character, so by saying you're wanting to add sounds over your hip-hop beats, you're painting a rather vague picture. I think Reason will do just about anything you want it to do, because truthfully, some of the best hip-hop that I've heard is actually quite minimal, using great source sounds for beats and phrase samples. The NN-19 and NN-XT samplers should be more that adequate to fit the bill.

I personally don't care for Novation synths, hard or soft, I just don't dig that sound, too fluid and trancey. Absynth is great, Malstrom (Reason) is great once you tweak it right, Reaktor is out-of-this-world sublime, and so on.

Also, NI have just released the RTAS version of Kontakt, which is making many people gitty, including myself. Have ProTools, have Kontakt, have turntable? Make hip-hop and develop your own style.

We hope this helps you out a little, but really,download all the demos you can, borrow stuff for a few days, just play and listen for what will click with you, cause in the end, we can't tell you what's good or not, only you can.

qchapter 11-07-2003 09:30 PM

If you have a fast computer softsynths are the way to go. A knobby controller is a must, an Oxygen8 is an inexpensive way to add programable knobs to you system. Reason rewired to Protools LE gives you everything you need to create great hiphop or electronica tracks. Talented musicians/producers make their gear sound awesome not the other way around.

-Kevin

sean shannon 11-07-2003 11:12 PM

uiop - Absynth is killer with Direct Connect.

Homebelly 11-08-2003 02:12 AM

I know,,i've been using it since befor N-I picked it up,,had it all the way throught my PT 5 infancy since DIRECT-CONNECTand i'm now totaly at a loss with out it under OSX,,the way it's looking AB2 RTAS is still a way's off,,in my world the race is between AB 2 RTAS or FXpansion getting the VST to RTAS thang out,,if FXpansion get there doohikie out the door tommorrow i'm buying just so's i can get a good solid ABB work out,,

musicjon 11-08-2003 10:51 AM

I've been having fun with Reason's synth options, but yesterday I stuck Antares new Filter plugin in the chain. It brought my pads and loops to life easily. Check out the demo, it went up on Thursday I think. A quick fix for the new gear craving IMO.

http://www.antarestech.com/download/index.html

-Jon