Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Anyone see the PT8 demo tour? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=232204)

rdolmat 11-21-2008 09:43 AM

Anyone see the PT8 demo tour?

They had one in Vancouver here a few days ago...dang! missed it!!

Did anyone see a local PT8 demo? Any thoughts? Got any good questions answered?

roberts 11-21-2008 09:47 AM

Re: Anyone see the PT8 demo tour?

Saw it at AES I am getting it. Just the track comping feature is going to save me so much time. Even if it costs me double what they are charging for it. The upgrade will be paid for in 1 day. If you do music you will need this upgrade

mlehmann 11-21-2008 10:13 AM

Probably ProTools' biggest update since PT5, almost ten years ago. I really like the new UI. New instruments and plugins are cool too. The comp feature is great and Elastic Pitch is nice. Plenty of new shortcuts so I'm curious how that'll affect my workflow. I think it's definitely music-composition oriented although Digi's guy said it was an upgrade for everyone. Still, it's a bit deceiving to see that almost all those new features are already part of either Logic Pro or Ableton Live...

Anyway, for people who don't want to mess with Logic or Live, it's definitely a must. I'm ordering it for sure.

audioluche 11-21-2008 11:05 AM

Hi,

I just saw a demo yesterday in Montreal and it was verry cool.
like mlehmann said, the new comp feature will be a time saver, the region rating too, midi editing will be verry nice, shortcut for solo and mute (yesss!!!), mutiple display of automation, better waveform resolution = better tab to transient resolution, the VI are cool, the new plug ins too, better allocation and loading/reloading times between songs (The DSP engine was re-writen, it will remember the plugins used in the last session and dont need to reload everything), and i'm sure i'm forgetting other nice features.

I usually dont update as soon as a new version is availaible but i must admit that what i saw yesterday just convinced me that i HAVE to update as soon as it's available.

Oh yeah, the guy said that they tweaked elastic time for better quality..

Voilà!

Luc:D

rdolmat 11-21-2008 11:51 AM

yes siiirr!!

that sounds exciting...

although I'm really nervous about upgrading my Boot Camp Mac Pro to Leopard as well...I might be opening a can of worms with that one...

:(

but, in the end, it will be worth it!

mlehmann 11-21-2008 01:08 PM

I'm running 10.5.5 with 7.4.2 and everything's fine. Also, the Digi guy said that everything that's runnin' with 7.4.2 will work with 8.

I forgot a couple of things about post-prod: there's now the possiblity to link and sync up to 5 HD systems and you can also link a ProTools system with an Avid system on another computer. Near sample-accurate sync for both.

Also, there's a new version of Xpand! with lots of new patches and sound fxs.

Dopamine 11-21-2008 02:11 PM

Anyone know what new effects are included? (I'm not talking about instruments, but effects.)

For example, is there a new Chorus?

audioluche 11-21-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamine (Post 1307368)
Anyone know what new effects are included? (I'm not talking about instruments, but effects.)

For example, is there a new Chorus?

He did not show all effects in the presentation but he said there was 20 new effects. The one he showed were: distortion, anaolog filtering, a kind of talk box, and i cant remember the others but the one he tried sounded good. All plugins were developed by the AIR team.

Unfortunatly, i had to leave quickly after the presentation and i could not stay to ask question or check the complete list of plugs...

Hope this helps...

audioluche 11-21-2008 04:57 PM

Forgot to say spectral gate plug...

Luc

Eric Lambert 11-21-2008 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlehmann (Post 1307349)
there's now the possiblity to link and sync up to 5 HD systems and you can also link a ProTools system with an Avid system on another computer. Near sample-accurate sync for both.

This sounds interesting - can you elaborate a bit. Synced and linked HOW exactly? Providing what type of functionality?