Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Surround Mixing / Stereo monitoring with Soundcode Stereo (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=291256)

Meads 01-03-2011 10:26 AM

Surround Mixing / Stereo monitoring with Soundcode Stereo

I know this sounds rather unprofessional, but here is my situation:

A customer asked, if I can do a dubbing mix of a 5.1 feature. I only have a stereo setup monitor-wise, but I can handle 5.1 in PT.
Since dubbing is only about dialogue I don't really need the 5.1 feel for mixing. So could I use Neyrinck Soundcode Stereo on the Master Aux to get a stereo downmix, which I listen to, while I am mixing, but delivering the 5.1 mix?
I mean, does it make sense, or will my mixing be hokum, based on just listening to the simulated downmix?
The customer knows about the issue, but he gave me a go, if I can manage it somehow.

Any input appreciated!

mr.armadillo 01-03-2011 10:35 AM

Re: Surround Mixing / Stereo monitoring with Soundcode Stereo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meads (Post 1730236)
Since dubbing is only about dialogue I don't really need the 5.1 feel for mixing.

Nor sure what exactly you mean by that. Dialogue-mixing wise this is going to be very tricky since you will be listening to a phantom center while in the end it's going to be a discrete center channel which will result in a completely different sound. Also, you're levels could be off. You should absolutely set up at least a center speaker IMO.

Meads 01-03-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.armadillo (Post 1730241)
Nor sure what exactly you mean by that. Dialogue-mixing wise this is going to be very tricky since you will be listening to a phantom center while in the end it's going to be a discrete center channel which will result in a completely different sound. Also, you're levels could be off. You should absolutely set up at least a center speaker IMO.

Thanks for your reply.
That was my plan B, getting a center speaker. The surrounds and the sub shouldn't matter too match for dubbing. But that would be a pain, since my two screens consume the whole space between my left and right speakers. I would have to place it above the screens, which wouldn't do any good.
Crap, I knew this day would come...

CD Productions 01-03-2011 10:33 PM

How can you mix anything you can't actually hear, with any confidence? I hate guessing. If your client doesn't care, go for it. I would, at the least, get a center channel. It's where all your foley is going to live.

KingTor 01-03-2011 11:16 PM

When I first read this I thought you were insane. Not necessarily unprofessional, but insane. But I think you mean dubbing in the sense of foreign language rather than in the sense of re-recording.

In that case, I'd say it's neither unprofessional nor insane, as long as your client is aware of, and comfortable with, your solution to the problem. I would think a bona fide center speaker would be helpful, though.

Pythagor 01-03-2011 11:23 PM

You will need surrounds as far as there are special sound fxs that should affect dialog and in case 5.0 reverb was used on original dialog. where your client will show the movie? cinema or dvd? anyway you probably should consider mixing somewhere else with proper 5.1 setup if you want to continue work with this client..

Meads 01-04-2011 04:52 AM

Thanks for your many replies.
With dubbing I mean foreign language, and I have been working with that client for over a year now and so far it has always been stereo, and it has always been for DVD.
And there are no FX on the surrounds in that case. It's a comedy and the surrounds consist only of music, atmospheres and reverb.
I'm going to do a five minute piece of it with my stereo setup, and give the outcome a listen on a 5.1 stage. Then I will decide which way to go.
Thank you guys again.