Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Workspace says the drive is not a valid audio Volume???!!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=196551)

Ping Pong 05-03-2007 06:28 AM

Workspace says the drive is not a valid audio Volume???!!!

I'm on a G4 Mac 10.4.6 and I have Pro Tools 7.0.All of a sudden when trying to open session a prompt appears saying "Session must be on an audio record volume". I understand that I have to change my hardrive to an "r" from a "t" inside workspace and I have already trashed any volumes inside digidesign databases. I also checked that Pro Tools 7.0. was installed correctly. I don't know what else to do. When I do try to change the "t" to an "r" a prompt appears saying Hatachi(HD) can not be designated as an Audio Volume because it is not a valid audio volume. Yet yesterday it was and it has all my sessions on it and has been used for many months with no issues. What happened and how do I fix it.

Thanks for your help!

Pingjavascript:void(0)

bortraws 05-03-2007 06:39 AM

Re: Workspace says the drive is not a valid audio Volume???!!!

Start up from your OS X installation disk and choose the Disk Utility from one of the menus. (I think it's the utilities menu)

Now repair the disk and the permissions. Hopefully that will help.

Good luck!

Ping Pong 05-03-2007 08:14 AM

No luck yet. I have performed the following which did not cure the existing problem. I have read many other threads with the same problem and no solution provided by Digidesign that I can find through searching and reading the Forums. I remain hopeful that a Digidesign Support person will rescue me shortly with info I need.

Troubleshooting tips

Delete Pro Tools preferences.
-Go to Users > “your user name” > Library > Preferences
-Delete 'com.digidesign.protoolsLE.plist', 'DAE Prefs' (folder), 'DigiSetup.OSX' and 'Pro Tools preferences'.
-Empty trash, then restart the computer.

Repair Permissions
-Quit Pro Tools and launch Apple's "Disk Utility" application, located in:

MacHD>Applications>Utilities.

-Select your boot drive (the whole drive, not the volume underneath the drive)
-Go to the 'First Aid' tab and select "Repair Disk Permissions"

Apple recommends doing this any time you install new software, update your OS or reinstall any software.

Databases and Volumes
-Delete the Digidesign Databases folders on the first level of all mounted hard drives, then delete the "Volumes" folder in MacHD > Library > Application Support > Digidesign > Databases.

-Empty trash, then restart the computer.

Slim Shady 05-03-2007 08:58 AM

There's a whole dedicated thread about this issue that stays near the top of the forum, you should read that. It's called "Audio Record or Playback Volume Error Info "

Ping Pong 05-03-2007 02:19 PM

Re-Installing the PTLE 7.0 Software (after de-installing it) did the trick. Thanks!

Stiff 05-03-2007 11:25 PM

Re: Workspace says the drive is not a valid audio Volume???!

When this happens to me I just exit Pro Tools, restart the HD and restart Pro Tools.