Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   "DAE Message" (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=31483)

STUDIO 44 07-09-2003 10:41 AM

"DAE Message"

Got a 5.1 running on OS9.1 and have started getting crashes (recently) with message "DAE may be too slow or disc is fragmented"(error -9019)
Ran Norton doctor & speed disc.
Got Glyphs & a firewire drive plus an internal ATA (partitioned)
Problem seems global...can happen from diferent sessions on different drives.
Would appreciate help...

ripple FX 07-09-2003 11:14 AM

Re: "DAE Message"

Check your DAE buffer setting. Launch ProTools, switch to DAE:File:Set Buffer size. It should be set to "2". If it is "0", you'll have problems.

Hope this helps.

ThisBeatsWorking 07-09-2003 09:46 PM

Description of problem

Playing back 24/44.1 48tk session w/ dsp-4 Stereo Aux returns, 6 ch of wave eq 12 ch of sends, 2 ch with automation, 4 ch of digi i/o's.

Session was generated from studio 1 and recorded at studio 2

Studio 1- G3 w/G4 Proc 500, 5.1.1 TDM, 1 mix core, 888
384mb RAM
Absolutely no problem playing back!

Studio 2- G4 Dual 1GB mirrored 5.1.3 TDM 1 mix core, 1 mix farm, 2- 888's, DMX 100 desk w/ digi I/o's

During playback I received -7093 dae error...disk too slow, fragmented, etc.

I did all of the above mentioned troubleshooting AND pared down the session to being multi track playback for a mix template on the sony dmx

Closed Pro Tools and then re-opened PT and...........

Voila'

You would think from the specs of studio 1 the session would freeze and not freeze at studio 2.

This was not the case . Weird!!!

Comments anyone?

Peace
TBW [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

ThisBeatsWorking 07-09-2003 09:49 PM

Sorry.... I forgot to mention the drive:

Session audio files are all on one drive
Seagate UW SCSI 10,000 RPM

Alécio Costa 07-10-2003 12:16 AM

yeah, with 4.3 it misteriously changed to 0 so bounces longer than 4 minutes were not possible.

Lee Blaske 07-10-2003 12:21 AM

You're not splitting the sessions between multiple drive formats, are you (i.e. Firewire and SCSI)? That could cause problems.

Lee Blaske

DigiTechSupt 07-10-2003 09:52 AM

Ron,

What SCSI card are you running and what application was used to format the drives? SCSI drives should be formatted with ATTO Express and Firewire drives should be formatted using Special > Erase Disk. Also, if you have multiple copies of the same session on different drives, Pro Tools may be reading some files from a drive other than the one you open the session from. You can confirm this by checking "Full Path Names" in the audio bin menu. You may want to try removing the other drives from the sysem and only mount the drive you are testing. Most Likely there is only a problem with one of your drives.

Mike

DigiTechSupt 07-10-2003 10:06 AM

ThisBeatsWorking,

What SCSI card are you using? We support the ATTO EPCI-DC, UL2D and UL3D SCSI HBAs for use with AGP G4s. Also, what application was used to format the drives? Also, how many tracks are you playing back from a single drive? If you are running more than 32 tracks off a single drive you may want to try spreading the tracks out between two drives of the same type, i.e; two SCSI drives or two Firewire drives. We don't recommend mixing drive types in the same session. I hope this helps.

Mike

ThisBeatsWorking 07-10-2003 02:57 PM

Studio 1 OS 9.1

Studio 2 OS 9.2

putney2 07-10-2003 04:00 PM

Probably your SCSI card.

What's the transfer rate set to?

Set it to 20.

Digi recommend certain cards, others can be used, but at your own risk.

If your formatted with HDT, Hard Disk Tool Kit, this could be the problem.

Also, go to ATTOtech.com and download the latest firmware for the card.