Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   001 Monitoring and Mic inputs (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=39266)

twg4461 04-07-2001 02:26 PM

001 Monitoring and Mic inputs

I'm new to the 001 and I have my midi keyboard going into inputs 3/4 (the ones that will play thru reguardless of the computer being turned on)

Then I have a mic going into the front panel inputs 1 or 2.

Here is my problem.. I can record midi data in and get it all setup fine. Then I want to go in and record a vocal part to a separate track. Is there a way to hear the midi part while recording in the vocal part. Is the 001 full duplex?? I mean this is protools right? I would assume its capable of it; so I'm assuming that I have my audio paths routed wrong?

again
midi keyboard into 3/4 (inputs that allow signal to pass when computer is off)
mic plugged into front panel 1 or 2

I mean is there another way that I should be running things? Do I need a mixer to create such a monitoring signal that I can hear what I'm inputing into the digi 001?

Thanks in advance,
Flustered

Chess Piece Face 04-08-2001 12:50 AM

Re: 001 Monitoring and Mic inputs

Same problem here. A manual would help. Oh wait, I have 60 bucks, let me run down to Kinko's.
:roll:

Can anyboy help us?

Chess Piece Face 04-08-2001 01:03 AM

Same problem here. A manual would help. Oh wait, I have 60 bucks, let me run down to Kinko's.
:roll:

Can anyboy help us?

Chompers 04-08-2001 03:33 AM

turn up the volume on the midi rack.
Otherwise I dont know what the problem is.
IS the "rec" button off after you record?

keysmia 04-08-2001 07:13 AM

You have to be in monitor mode to hear the midi tracks. Just output your vocal into your mixer instead of the main outputs. you will hear both vocal and midi in monitor mode.

KamaSutra77 04-08-2001 07:39 PM

Ok heres the set up that works. Its cool to use the 3/4 inputs to run a signal straight through to your amp to practice and fiddle. Heres the rub, the play through channels arn’t recordable or monitorable alongside standard internal tracks and mixer inputs. Make sense? Essentially you have your pro tools mixer set up internaly, __then this little add on pass though 2 channel deal for conveneince (the 3/4 monitor input) And the fix: You can leave 3/4 hooked up like always to your keys stereo outs. Simply create an auxilliary input track (stereo) in Pro tools. Assing the inputs to 3/4 for the auxillary and adjuxt volume on the associated fader. Aslo have a midi channel open and set up to record and playback the midi input. This lets you avoid dropping content to disk until you really need to and are happy with it (by then assigning the 3/4 inputs to alive stereo track), rememebr that little push button on front configures the input setting ( monitor/normal) Ive found it confusing and have yet to memorize which is which. Hope that helps and is not over or under your level of knowledge. The Midi implementation is not very clearly laid out in the manual, and is not helped by oms being a little ong in the tooth. Then to record more tracks you just add new tracks and work with them, letting midi play your synth throught the assigned midi channel, while your synth is monitired through the auxillary input channel in the pro tools mix. Your new tracks ( vocals) become new tracks in the dit window as you create them and assign them inouts form the 1/2 front panel inputs. Be aware that you may need low latency monitoring active to avoid delays between the midi signal and your new hard disk based tracks, which is an area I am still struggling to fully understand. All i can figure out do far is that if your hardware buffer is set to leats say "256 samples" you neee to go into the preferences and set the midi global offset to "-256" to have the midi play that much slower to align with audio in the buffer as it play back.

[This message has been edited by KamaSutra77 (edited April 08, 2001).]