Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   MIDI Mapping on AIR BOOM - wtf? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=255336)

blackmacdaddy 09-25-2009 02:46 PM

MIDI Mapping on AIR BOOM - wtf?

Hello everybody! :)

I'm just trying to get my head around WHY AIR MIDI mapped the "single shot drum samples" in BOOM to such weird assignments? If someone can help me out as to why it is this way, I'd be much appreciative. I'm using C3 as middle C (the Pro Tools way)

I originally *guessed* that it would be mapped chromatically from C1 - A1
(As the 16 patterns are mapped sequentially from C3 to D#4)

But here is the mapping for the 10 channels of BOOM (note: I do understand using 16 keys:)
C1 = channel 1
C#1 = channel 3
D1 = channel 2
D#1 = channel 4
E1 = channel 2
F1 = channel 8
F#1 = channel 5
G1 = channel 8
G#1 = channel 5
A1 = channel 7
A#1 = channel 6
B1 = channel 7
C2 = channel 7
C#2 = channel 10
D2 = channel 7
D#2 = channel 9

FOUR KEYS all trigger channel 7 at the same Velocity?

I'm just looking for a way to explain this to my students? They're used to using REDRUM and are really confused. Any enlightenment would be much appreciated!

I would much prefer chromatic mapping from C1 to A1 "Reason style"

I guess here in the LAB I could make user preset 21 on our AXIOM PRO 61 or some such an "unmapper" but then it's still confusing when you look at the notes in the MIDI editor

Best :) W

filosofem 09-25-2009 03:39 PM

Re: MIDI Mapping on AIR BOOM - wtf?

Hi, can I ask why are you using individual MIDI Channels to trigger individual Boom instruments/hits?

filosofem

flommer 09-25-2009 05:06 PM

From the Creative Collection plugin guide:

Quote:

These mappings closely match
the General MIDI standard, for ease of use
with pre-existing MIDI sequences.
Makes sense to me..

Might as well trigger something, even if it is a duplicate...

It can also be easier to play some patterns if you have 2 keys on your controller that trigger the same note/sound.. 4 keys for the hi Tom is just filling in space, I would guess..

frantik 09-26-2009 10:02 PM

thanks for that mapping... been meaning to do that but have been lazy. i always thought it seemed pretty random, but i guess it makes sense for general midi drums.. sorta

Quote:

Hi, can I ask why are you using individual MIDI Channels to trigger individual Boom instruments/hits?
perhaps because it's much easier to program in sequences longer than 4 bars that way? Or if you want more than 16 variations of a beat without recording anything to disk.

i love Boom's step sequencer though.. PT needs a dedicated step sequencer

blackmacdaddy 09-26-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filosofem (Post 1466875)

Hi filo,

I don't think I explained this well enough. This is the default KEY mapping from AIR for triggering the 10 single shot sample channels within BOOM individually. I often "play in" my drum patterns as it's 'quick & dirty' and having 4 keys mapped to the same sample, seemed bizarre to me.

Now that I've written it down & printed it out for the lab stations, it will cause less confusion.

Also, the "general MIDI" pull quote that flommer posted (thanks! :) makes sense and will allow me to explain to students "why" it's not chromatic from C1 (IE the way REDRUM in Reason works.) AND that they can be more confident that if they 'pull in' a MIDI file from mididb.com OR free-midi.org that the sequence will play correctly.

Best :) W

PS On Mac, MIDI MONITOR is a fantastic little app from SNOIZE for seeing what's going on with your MIDI rig. SNOIZE also has the SYSEX Librarian program that many folks often reference. http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

filosofem 09-26-2009 11:28 PM

You know, simplicity is easiest. And besides, what's been said covers the issue sufficiently. Though playing a GM-1 keyboard you'll notice that a single instrument will have a few varying degrees of samples that Boom isn't designed to house. Thus the duplicated triggers of Boom Channels could be seen as being a GM concordance.

But that doesn't roll of the tongue so easily. :-)

Regards.

filosofem