Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   How do you like to use HEAT? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=369618)

midnightrambler 07-01-2015 02:32 AM

HEAT

So I'm quite new so the HEAT party as of v12.1, and I was just wondering if people are still using this as part of their mixing technique, or if it's just one of those gimmicks that (as Eric above implies) has long since fizzled out? And does anyone have any preference of mixing "through" HEAT (i.e. "on" from the get-go), or turning it on near the end of the mix?

Also it does seem a little silly that it's not applied across VI tracks. Auxes/busses/master tracks I can understand, as you don't necessarily want HEAT on top of HEAT, but it seems a bit of a ball ache to have to worry about printing (or even input-monitoring) VIs when they should be able to stay in a state of flux right up until the mix is finished.

That said, I'm looking forward to giving it a spin. (Still in heavy duty editing mode at the mo, hence the procrastination....!)

Siegfried Meier 07-01-2015 03:02 AM

Re: HEAT

Used it heavily in 2010 and beyond when we were still mixing mostly on HD10, but sadly wasn't able to use it once we moved from that system for mixes. It does something nothing else does, and is personally quite amazing. The setting of 2 back on Drive and one forward on Tone is magical! I'm really happy this is now Native. It also means we can use it during tracking sessions with our HD3 rigs, and the way the session sounds carries over into the mix portion when we are on Native.

Thanks Avid!!

midnightrambler 07-01-2015 05:18 AM

Thanks Siegfried.

Just a thought, presumably if you print mixes onto a new track (and/or listen to the mix through the track on input) then that track must be bypassed from HEAT.....?

Drew Mazurek 07-01-2015 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2273237)
Thanks Siegfried.

Just a thought, presumably if you print mixes onto a new track then that track must be bypassed from HEAT.....?

Upon playback, yes. But recording to a track with HEAT enabled doesn't record with the processing. HEAT is live in the mixer, either Pre or Post inserts.

JFreak 07-01-2015 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2273199)
Also it does seem a little silly that it's not applied across VI tracks. Auxes/busses/master tracks I can understand, as you don't necessarily want HEAT on top of HEAT, but it seems a bit of a ball ache to have to worry about printing (or even input-monitoring) VIs when they should be able to stay in a state of flux right up until the mix is finished.

How would you HEAT your VI track "pre" virtual instrument?

dtmprod 07-01-2015 06:55 AM

You would need to record the midi to an audio track, then apply Heat. It only works on recorded audio. But since its now native, I don't see what the hindrance would be to allow it on an instrument track as well, Avid?

ShiftStudios 07-01-2015 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtmprod (Post 2273266)
You would need to record the midi to an audio track, then apply Heat. It only works on recorded audio. But since its now native, I don't see what the hindrance would be to allow it on an instrument track as well, Avid?

I do have a question about this HEAT thing. Since it's Native HD, is there any way to upgrade my Pro Tools from Native to HD without buying $7000 of hardware??

midnightrambler 07-01-2015 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2273242)
How would you HEAT your VI track "pre" virtual instrument?

Well, as I understand it, HEAT occurs after the all inserts (therefore including VIs), unless the "pre" button is light on the track, so to my mind it would be perfectly possible.

thewiz 07-01-2015 07:34 AM

HEAT

I'd like to know if there are benefits with Heat over Waves NLS and Slate VCC

Drew Mazurek 07-01-2015 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewiz (Post 2273282)
I'd like to know if there are benefits with Heat over Waves NLS and Slate VCC

Only your ears can tell you.

Maybe it's more efficient? You'd have to test. It's easier since it's global? To some that's a negative.

It's a different way to do a similar thing as other products.