Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How are you using the track presets 'hack'? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=343924)

kmoneybts 08-31-2013 02:59 PM

How are you using the track presets 'hack'?

Ive found so many ways to improve my workflow (i mostly work in pop music production)

I use it for:

Presets of every instrument that I commonly use. I use Vienna ensemble pro a lot with plugins like omnisphere and ez drummer so it addresses ram outside of the 4 gigs or so that pro tools 10 can use. I have track presets that pull these up inside of Vienna so I don't have to mess with the VEP interface to get them going.
I use a lot of battery kits for programming. I keep all the battery kits that I've created in my Dropbox folder so I can access them across multiple rigs
I also have lots if instrument presets in a folder. These are tracks that have an instrument with a specific setting and plugins on it. These are usually sounds that I've come up with while working on other songs. It's nice to be able to almost instantly have the b3 sound I had on a song from 6 months ago with the exact same plugins on it. I have TONS of these because it makes my workflow lightning fast.

Presets of routings: I use internal routing in my session to print to an audio track so I have a track preset that creates all the bussing and tracks and also puts all the normal master bus plugins I usually use on the master fader.
Also when I track gang vocals or groups of claps or stomps or something I usually make a bunch if tracks that alternate panning left and right and print to s stereo track once I get the blend and eq/ compression right. I have a track preset that makes like 10 tracks that alternate pan left and right and are bussing to a stereo track. Makes it way faster to print.

Vocal tracks: I have presets that I usually use as a starting point for vocals (all plugin and bus sends for verb dly and throws). Also have fx from different songs that I like

Live instruments: I stick to an exact input list no matter what studio I'm at, so I always know that (for example) the piano is coming in analog 5-6 and 7-8 for the 2 stereo pairs of mics I usually use. Vocal chain always comes in analog 1. There is always a mic in the control room, I let it run constantly during sessions (to reply ideas that come up and might need to be replayed when forgotten). Also dedicated inputs for the acoustic, electric gtrs, bass, keyboards etc
This allows me to pull up any setup of live instruments (including plugins that I use as a starting point)

Just curious of what other ways people are using track presets...

albee1952 09-01-2013 09:10 AM

Re: How are you using the track presets 'hack'?

I started by breaking down my usual full band setup, so I have a preset for a complete drum kit, with plugins, AUX tracks and a VCA master(high-latency plugins are inactive to start). My talkback preset includes both CR mic, drum room mic and a pink noise audio track to duck them. Then there's the presets for 2 and 3-mic vocal tracking and few instrument track presets for "most often used" sounds...I have 3 folders of presets for AUX tracks, Audio tracks and Instrument tracks. HUGE timesaver:D

musicman691 09-02-2013 03:56 AM

Re: How are you using the track presets 'hack'?

Have several ways:
Presets for my favorite vi's: Kontakt 5 and BFD 2. In the BFD2 one I have it setup to also have a number of PT Aux tracks set to receive the feed from individual kit pieces in BFD 2 like snare, kick, overheads, etc. I tend not to use the mixer in BFD 2 if I can help it. I also have an Aux track at the end to act as a receptor for all the aforementioned Aux tracks. On said final Aux track I have a compressor. BFD2 is set to default to an 18 pc kit with my usual suspects for drums (DW) with Zildjian cymbals.

Have a couple where I cobbled together a multiband compressor. 4 Aux tracks with each having the stock Avid 7 band EQ using the high and low filters to carve the audio spectrum into 4 discrete bands. On each of those Aux's I also have my compressor of choice. I then have a final Aux track to receive the outputs of the 4 previous Aux tracks and on that Aux I have a brickwall limiter to catch any overs from the summing.