Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

Roy Howell 06-05-2003 08:45 AM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Well Mr. Nippamuk... thanks to Pieter, your latest masterpiece has graced my speakers, and they will never be the same...and nor (as Will Ferrell would say), shall the world!... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Man, I loved it... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Your mother obviously has a great sense of humor to've done this with you... she was great. And the music sets the mood perfectly. I love where it 'builds' about midway, and then just kind of...dwindles back down a little...(so serious... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Hey man, I love these...keep em coming. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
-rh

soundsurfr 06-05-2003 08:48 AM

Byteme -

Listening now. Tight band, good vocalist, nice guitar work. Who does that vocalist remind me of? Dang.

Good stuff - Could use a little more bottom end maybe?

Swaphappy 06-05-2003 09:21 AM

Thanks for the views Roy.
See next page...

Nippamuk 06-05-2003 09:30 AM

Some more feedback:

Pieter: Great rockin songs.I liked the bass on "Destination Anywhere". Nice to hear real live drums!

Calvin: "Her Loss" is a great tune. Acoustic music lives!

hydrafonic: I listened to "wnqd". Good rockin tune; I liked the guitar harmonies.

Jeremy: "Lost" has a nice thunky snare. I'm a big fan of nice thunky snare, or any snare that is off the beaten track. ( Hmmmm- "off the beaten track"). The song is very "thick".

Someone did a song called "Capairhush" but I can't figure out who did it to thank them for posting it. I really liked it except for the drums in the background, which I felt didn't really add much to the song. But that's just me.

Boy, lots of new songs posted lately. This must be the longest running thread that ever was.

Pure 06-05-2003 09:43 AM

Alright, here's my latest stuff. Check out OrganGrinder. Although I'm not a big fan of converting my .wav files down to 128kps for Mp3.com, you can still here what I've done with the kick drum on this tune.
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/501/...nd_design.html
Let me know what ya think. Cheers. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Swaphappy 06-05-2003 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Roy Howell:
Thanks Rabidium(Olaf)...an angel eating fettucini?... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] hehe.... I tell you, I use one-hit samples probably more than anybody I know around here. Brian(DaB) and some others do some very cool perussion in Reason, but I've never had it running well enough to use it. My friend, pk_hat just made me some excellent 90bpm loops I'de asked him for, and I've used one of them on a new song that Paul Curtiz and I have written. But, Paul and I are also doing a song with 'FunkyD', who's a real drummer(great drummer) here on the DUC. I do like these one-hit samples too though, because I can choose and control each individual sound. Looking at a PT session of one-hits, it looks rather complicated, but it's not that hard at all, and I've gotten quick with it too. I printed a screen of 'Moonbeam' that's shows some of the one-hits.
And thanks for the compliment... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
~Roy
http://basstardz.dhs.org/roy/images/...rumSampleView/

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I like this Roy!
Thanks for taking the time to post those views of the samples.
That is the approach I have been taking lately and I kind of figured you did it that way sometimes too. But those pictures clarify so much
so quickly.
I have made drum and bass tracks for six gospel songs now and put them on CD.
Now when I go to play I just pop in the CD and it's like having a drummer and bass player right there. No hassle with trying to get real musicians to show up on time. He he
I run the output of the Cd player through may bass amp and it sounds very real. I usually put a little guitar lead-in right at the beginning of each track to give me time to jump in with my rhythm guitar before I start singing. It keeps me steady on the beat which helps. Great thread you have going here and so many talented people.
Maybe some of it will rub off on me.

I can't wait until the I can get the 002R on a notebook then I can have a portable band right with me
and have control over all the instruments.
Suppose a the bass player actually shows up!
All i have to do is mute the bass track and BINGO
the bass in now live. Or if I want to record the pianist while I am playing then I will be ready when the pianist lays out sick. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
This has big possibilities.

Roy Howell 06-05-2003 10:29 AM

That's good, Swap. I was hoping that showing a screen would take some of the mystery out of it, because it's not as hard as it may seem. Man, you should see these guitar and mandolin sample sessions I do, where each track is a separate note (so there are 32 notes inititially). The 'runs' go up and down look like letters... like big W's or N's or whatever, and it just looks so cool. I love to watch em play back. I am fascinated with the art of sound now. We used to be so limited compared to what is possible now.

Swaphappy 06-05-2003 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Roy Howell:
That's good, Swap. I was hoping that showing a screen would take some of the mystery out of it, because it's not as hard as it may seem. Man, you should see these guitar and mandolin sample sessions I do, where each track is a separate note (so there are 32 notes inititially). The 'runs' go up and down look like letters... like big W's or N's or whatever, and it just looks so cool. I love to watch em play back. I am fascinated with the art of sound now. We used to be so limited compared to what is possible now.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mandoline, [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My wife and I both play a little bluegrass style mandoline. So you sampled a bunch of notes or did you get them somewhere? Do you have samples for down picks and up picks. What about HO's, Slides and trills? It would be interesting for me to try that sometime. Guess you have been getting into the sampling buisness in a big way lately. Have you figured out how to program your keyboard to play the samples?
Guess I ask too many question but I'm thankful you and the other buffs are around to help me out.

Some great songs have been posted lately.
I think we need a DUC radio station so everyone could be on the charts. Maybe DB could put all the songs in streaming audio and have a charts page on his site.

da BaSsTaRd! 06-05-2003 11:10 AM

http://basstardz.dhs.org/DUC/DUC_MUSIC/-=DUC=-.m3u

I've had this up for a while... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Captain_Pants 06-05-2003 11:13 AM

Nippa: First, thanks for the checking that tune out. I really appreciate it. That song is actually about two people. I just mixed them into one person. The first, was my best friend when I was a bit younger, he lived less them a block from my house, and we used to hang out everyday. One day as I was walking over to his house, I noticed his mom was outside crying, and I asked her what was going on. She told me he(Clinton) had brain cancer, and it wasnt looking good. She advised me that its probably not a good idea to come in right now as everyone was very emotional. I came back a few weeks later, and it was probably the saddest moment of my life. This little boy, 12 years old, face all swollen from the medication, he was probably bloated 50 pounds or so, he couldnt see anymore cause of the swelling, and I remember all he would say when I would talk to him was how much he couldnt wait to get better so we could hang out again. A few days later as I was walking around my town, i felt that supernatural feeling, and sure enough, I had found out that he had passed away moments before I called his house to check on things. I have never felt as much like i had a big hole in my heart after that. Something I had held so dearly was just gone in a flash. That is who the song is really dedicated to. But, I also mixed in one of my girlfriends I had. It was similar expierience, but definately not as emotional for me.

Thanks for asking. Wow, what a book ive written here. Sorry [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
=-Ben