Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   PT8 LE and Steven Slate Drums (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=283119)

outlaw69uk 09-29-2010 03:36 AM

PT8 LE and Steven Slate Drums

Hi

Ok, I managed to get through installing PT8 on Win7 64bit :p And, my copy of Eleven showed up too... happy days!

Now, am thinking about buying Steven Slate Drums 3.5, since, I got hold of some of the samples previoulsy, and, tested them out via BFD2, and, well, they do appear to be as good as they are meant to be.

I believe the instrument is based on Kontakt 3 or something, so, are there any known issues between it and PT8? Am guessing, since, Slate is fairly well known, and, it comes as Rtas, that it should be ok, but, just checking really

ps - still cant find anywhere to get presets for Eleven LE, just Eleven Rack, and, they dont bloody work!! :(

nst7 09-29-2010 06:15 AM

Re: PT8 LE and Steven Slate Drums

They should work fine, as long as you update to the latest version of the Kontakt player, which is really where any compatibility issues would be addressed.

On a side note, keep in mind that the SSD drum software, as far as I know, no longer includes Wav or Drumagog files, so you wouldn't be able to open them in BFD or any other software that opens wavs.

They changed this when they came out with Trigger, because they want that to be the exclusive program that people use with SSD drums.

outlaw69uk 09-29-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 1674850)
They should work fine, as long as you update to the latest version of the Kontakt player, which is really where any compatibility issues would be addressed.

On a side note, keep in mind that the SSD drum software, as far as I know, no longer includes Wav or Drumagog files, so you wouldn't be able to open them in BFD or any other software that opens wavs.

They changed this when they came out with Trigger, because they want that to be the exclusive program that people use with SSD drums.

Thats good to know, will find out later! Its the latest SSD release, so, ideally the player that comes with it will work (fingers crossed)

I noticed that, they come in "odd" sample formats. I have got, as I said, the gog files/wav files anyway, and, have drumagog. Trigger looks pretty hot though. My plan with this is to move away from BFD I think. Fantastic as it is, its a pain in the **** for memory usage and space!! Hopefully this ssd is as good as it should be

audiogeekzine 09-29-2010 01:01 PM

Get the Komplete 7 Players for the latest Kontakt version
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...5&content=1268
FREE

guitardom 09-29-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outlaw69uk (Post 1674914)
Thats good to know, will find out later! Its the latest SSD release, so, ideally the player that comes with it will work (fingers crossed)

I noticed that, they come in "odd" sample formats. I have got, as I said, the gog files/wav files anyway, and, have drumagog. Trigger looks pretty hot though. My plan with this is to move away from BFD I think. Fantastic as it is, its a pain in the **** for memory usage and space!! Hopefully this ssd is as good as it should be

i have used ssd and bfd2 side by side for quite a long time now. cant seem to give up bfd with packs such as the joe barressi available. the slate sound good, just not an "everything" kind of set for me. i typically will get the beef of my sound from bfd barressi, johns, such expansion and use the ssd samples for the attack which they are great at, just seem thin at times in comparison.

plus the bfd 2 player kills the kontakt interface for working w drums. seem no matter how long i have been messing w kontakt i still stumble through it for drum stuff and bfd 2 is just simply laid out.

all my opinions of course and some food for thought!! ;)

AirborneFO 09-29-2010 04:14 PM

How is SSD and BFD2 compared to EZDrummer? I love how simple EZD is and am curious how it stacks up against these two on ease of use and CPU power.....

outlaw69uk 09-30-2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardom (Post 1675055)
i have used ssd and bfd2 side by side for quite a long time now. cant seem to give up bfd with packs such as the joe barressi available. the slate sound good, just not an "everything" kind of set for me. i typically will get the beef of my sound from bfd barressi, johns, such expansion and use the ssd samples for the attack which they are great at, just seem thin at times in comparison.

plus the bfd 2 player kills the kontakt interface for working w drums. seem no matter how long i have been messing w kontakt i still stumble through it for drum stuff and bfd 2 is just simply laid out.

all my opinions of course and some food for thought!! ;)

I can understand that, indeed. The bulk of my recordings have always been with BFD2 and Evil Drums. Just seemed to "work". But, as far as recording goes, its only my own stuff, and, I have recently ventured into the superior drummer 2 land. Using the Slate mixer presets, and, I have to say, they were what tipped me over the edge to get this SSD. I also have Evil Drums for Superior as well, but, they dont seem as good as te BFD2 version. I do get the feeling I will be venturing back at somepoint, but, have never used Kontakt, so, will see.

outlaw69uk 09-30-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirborneFO (Post 1675083)
How is SSD and BFD2 compared to EZDrummer? I love how simple EZD is and am curious how it stacks up against these two on ease of use and CPU power.....

well, I havent had chance to use SSD yet, but, will report back!

BFD and EZDrummer? dont use ez drummer but, superior drummer 2 is pretty similar I hthink. I find BFD easier, but, i used it first, which might be why. I "understand" how BFD, and, the mixer etc on that works, in SD2 I tend to rely on presets