Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Carbon (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Pro Tools v2021.3 Now Available (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414703)

Kyle Splittgerber 03-26-2021 08:55 AM

Pro Tools v2021.3 Now Available

Hi Carbon Users,

In case you missed it, yesterday we released Pro Tools 2021.R3. Go here for info.

Below is the list of Carbon fixes. Please note that there are a few issues with macOS 11.2 (Big Sur) that we expect to be resolved in macOS 11.3 once it's released. For workaround information on those macOS 11.2 issues, see the "Pro Tools | Carbon" section here.
  • Audio dropouts/artifacts in 10.15.7 and 11.2.3; Resolved in future Big Sur release (PT-268800)
  • No Audio Output over AVB; Resolved in future Big Sur release (PT-268662)
  • Unable to create Session at new Sample Rate; Resolved in future Big Sur release (PT-265729)
  • No Audio device in Audio Midi Setup; Resolved in future Big Sur release (PT-268874)
  • "Cannot Communicate with Playback Engine"; Resolved in future Big Sur release (PT-268881)
  • Delay compensation when using both hardware inserts and AAX Native plug-ins on the same track is now calculated correctly. (PT-268293)
  • Delay compensation for hardware inserts on DSP Mode-enabled tracks is now calculated correctly for bounced/committed audio. (PT-267502)
  • Fixed an issue where a hardware insert assignment could be deleted after restoring I/O settings from session. (PT-266606)
  • DSP Mode now works correctly for mix groups. (PT-268738)
  • The "DSP Mode has been automatically enabled..." dialog is no longer redundantly shown after freezing a track. (PT-268275)
  • Fixed a case where a dialog would incorrectly indicate that the clock source is not valid. (PT-267542)
  • The "Pro Tools can't communicate..." dialog now appears immediately after Pro Tools | Carbon is disconnected from the Mac. (PT-267393)
  • Fixed an issue where monitor output level would be louder when recording to DSP Mode-enabled tracks with count off enabled. (PT-270388)
  • Fixed an issue where line outputs 1-4 would be muted after disabling Alt 1 and Alt 2 monitors. (PT-269069)
  • Fixed an issue where Talkback Mic input could distort. (PTHW-218)

As you can see, there are a number of fixes for delay compensation with hardware inserts. I know some of you were running into problems here, so please let us know how things are working once you update.

Additionally, some of you are experiencing issues with noticeable fan noise on the unit. We are closely investigating this and will update you as soon as possible. Thank you very much for your patience on this.

darkwavo 03-27-2021 02:35 AM

Re: Pro Tools v2021.3 Now Available

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber (Post 2597535)
Hi Carbon Users,

In case you missed it, yesterday we released Pro Tools 2021.R3. Go here for info.

Below is the list of Carbon fixes. Please note that there are a few issues with macOS 11.2 (Big Sur) that we expect to be resolved in macOS 11.3 once it's released. For workaround information on those macOS 11.2 issues, see the "Pro Tools | Carbon" section here.
  • Audio dropouts/artifacts in 10.15.7 and 11.2.3; Resolved in future Big Sur release (PT-268800)
  • Unable to create Session at new Sample Rate; Resolved in future Big Sur release (PT-265729)
  • No Audio device in Audio Midi Setup; Resolved in future Big Sur release (PT-268874)
  • "Cannot Communicate with Playback Engine"; Resolved in future Big Sur release (PT-268881)
  • Delay compensation when using both hardware inserts and AAX Native plug-ins on the same track is now calculated correctly. (PT-268293)
  • Delay compensation for hardware inserts on DSP Mode-enabled tracks is now calculated correctly for bounced/committed audio. (PT-267502)
  • Fixed an issue where a hardware insert assignment could be deleted after restoring I/O settings from session. (PT-266606)
  • DSP Mode now works correctly for mix groups. (PT-268738)
  • The "DSP Mode has been automatically enabled..." dialog is no longer redundantly shown after freezing a track. (PT-268275)
  • Fixed a case where a dialog would incorrectly indicate that the clock source is not valid. (PT-267542)
  • The "Pro Tools can't communicate..." dialog now appears immediately after Pro Tools | Carbon is disconnected from the Mac. (PT-267393)
  • Fixed an issue where monitor output level would be louder when recording to DSP Mode-enabled tracks with count off enabled. (PT-270388)
  • Fixed an issue where line outputs 1-4 would be muted after disabling Alt 1 and Alt 2 monitors. (PT-269069)

As you can see, there are a number of fixes for delay compensation with hardware inserts. I know some of you were running into problems here, so please let us know how things are working once you update.

Additionally, some of you are experiencing issues with noticeable fan noise on the unit. We are closely investigating this and will update you as soon as possible. Thank you very much for your patience on this.

Great news. Thanks so much.
Does this mean Pro Tools can run on a new M1/Big Sur Mac without Rosetta?
Planning on buying Carbon ASAP.
Thanks again !

Sardi 03-27-2021 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkwavo (Post 2597688)
Great news. Thanks so much.
Does this mean Pro Tools can run on a new M1/Big Sur Mac without Rosetta?
Planning on buying Carbon ASAP.
Thanks again !

No.

It’s in the release notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle Splittgerber 04-28-2021 11:36 AM

Hi All,

I wanted to follow up and let you know that Big Sur 11.3 was released which resolves a few of the Carbon bugs I mentioned above. I encourage you to update if you are running into these bugs.

Thanks.

K Roche 04-29-2021 07:40 AM

Good news ...........

dominicperry 04-29-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Roche (Post 2600863)
Good news ...........

Bad news for those of us who want to stay on 10.15.7..............;)

Dominic

Matt Hepworth 05-02-2021 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2600886)

Dominic

Yeah, having to be on the least compatible (and bleeding edge) OS to fix an issue doesn't really sound like a fix.

K Roche 05-02-2021 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2600886)

Dominic

Hummm are you sure ? According to this release info maybe not ?

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...3-Release-Info

System Requirements and Compatibility with Pro Tools 2021.3 & 2021.3.1 Software
Windows 10 64-bit build 20H2
Windows Updates must uninstall previous versions before proceeding. More information HERE

macOS Big Sur (11.2.3), Catalina (10.15.7), macOS Mojave (10.14.6)

dominicperry 05-02-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Roche (Post 2601090)
Hummm are you sure ?

Whilst it's clearly good news that problems are fixed, it's bad news that things like audio dropouts on an interface require an OS update, given that there are good reasons to want to stay on earlier versions of PT, which mean staying on earlier versions of the OS.

Of course, Carbon features and functions, (as well as some fixes) are all being rolled into PT updates, which is a problem in itself, given that Carbon is so new - you can't go back before 2020.11 anyway if you want Carbon support.

If, as an example, you wanted to use an RME interface, you could chose whatever version of the OS you wanted and pick from a wide variety of RME drivers which go along with that OS. Then pick your version of PT to go with the OS. That level of flexibility isn't available with Carbon, which would be fine if:
(1) the only OS choices for Carbon weren't just 10.15.7 and 11.x and
(2) there weren't so many glaring bugs being introduced in the latest versions of PT.

dankin 05-03-2021 06:05 AM

Is Carbon solid for the people that have it? I’m really close to ordering one, but seeing things like “audio dropouts” just being fixed, makes me question it. Is that a rare issue, or do most people experience that? As much as I hate the workflow with the Apollos, I have had zero issues with them.

K Roche 05-03-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dankin (Post 2601168)
Is Carbon solid for the people that have it? I’m really close to ordering one, but seeing things like “audio dropouts” just being fixed, makes me question it. Is that a rare issue, or do most people experience that? As much as I hate the workflow with the Apollos, I have had zero issues with them.

Obviously we can only relate our own limited anecdotal experience related to the kind of workflows we use.
I record only myself and both audio and midi tracks, from 10 to 20 total

With my system and specs I have had no Audio Drops outs, or any of the other issues that are fixed by updating to Big Sur and 2021.3.1 are supposed to fix as per the linked "release info".
And Carbon on Catalina 10.15.7 (As it did on 2021.1 and 2012.12 ) works as reliable as any system I have had.
I don't do video in PT, I use FCPX for video editing and import the PT music WAV file into FCPX
So for me there is no good reason to go back to any previous version of PT or OS

LFO 05-04-2021 03:20 AM

Also using Carbon on a Mac running Catalina, recording 16 tracks at 24/96, doing lot of overdubs I never had any drop out or any problem at all, it seems a Big Sur thing...Althought not doing much midi on Protools I find this system very very stable, really good sounding and simple to use ( well although eager to see preamps presets in Protools), not even talking about getting rid of latency.

darkwavo 05-08-2021 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber (Post 2600792)
Hi All,

I wanted to follow up and let you know that Big Sur 11.3 was released which resolves a few of the Carbon bugs I mentioned above. I encourage you to update if you are running into these bugs.

Thanks.

Sorry y’all ,
Guess I’m still confused.
Does this mean carbon now works with the new M1/ Big Sur Macs?
I’m thinking of pairing Carbon with a new IMac unless anyone advises against it.
Thanks again!

dominicperry 05-08-2021 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkwavo (Post 2601606)
Sorry y’all ,
Guess I’m still confused.
Does this mean carbon now works with the new M1/ Big Sur Macs?
I’m thinking of pairing Carbon with a new IMac unless anyone advises against it.
Thanks again!

As per this page .. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements

Big Sur is qualified BUT M1 Macs are not.
You might find it works. Or you might find it does not.

darkwavo 05-08-2021 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2601607)
As per this page .. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements

Big Sur is qualified BUT M1 Macs are not.
You might find it works. Or you might find it does not.

Ok Gotcha . Jeez I wonder if it’s a good idea to wait until everything is working.

K Roche 05-09-2021 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkwavo (Post 2601608)
Ok Gotcha . Jeez I wonder if it’s a good idea to wait until everything is working.

If you have a current functioning system ( Me) I would wait, because some fairly reliable Mac "prediction sources" have indicated that Apple will likely be announcing a new bigger screen iMac in July (given the current M1 iMac is only available in in the 24" screen) and this new iMac will probably with a new upgraded version of the original M1 chip ( M1X or M1XZ or even M2 ) with more cores ,,,Of course it will be more money so ???????

darkwavo 05-10-2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Roche (Post 2601663)
If you have a current functioning system ( Me) I would wait, because some fairly reliable Mac "prediction sources" have indicated that Apple will likely be announcing a new bigger screen iMac in July (given the current M1 iMac is only available in in the 24" screen) and this new iMac will probably with a new upgraded version of the original M1 chip ( M1X or M1XZ or even M2 ) with more cores ,,,Of course it will be more money so ???????

Good advice. I’m all set to grab the Carbon from my audio dealer, just perplexed about which Mac to get.
It also feels like the wrong time to buy with Apple, because something new and better is right around the corner. They are geniuses haha.
I guess my main concern is performance and also fan noise “coolness”.
So I’ll keep researching.

K Roche 05-11-2021 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkwavo (Post 2601786)
Good advice. I’m all set to grab the Carbon from my audio dealer, just perplexed about which Mac to get.
It also feels like the wrong time to buy with Apple, because something new and better is right around the corner. They are geniuses haha.
I guess my main concern is performance and also fan noise “coolness”.
So I’ll keep researching.

Performance wise the iMac I bought in November with the the 10th gen i7 is great, but the fan noise is quite noticeable when doing things like video rendering
So while it has not been a big issue when simply recording audio, but then I do not do huge sessions
The M series Apple silicon Mac's are said to be virtually silent

Cowboy Bob 05-11-2021 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Roche (Post 2601793)
...but the fan noise is quite noticeable when doing things like video rendering
So while it has not been a big issue when simply recording audio, but then I do not do huge sessions
The M series Apple silicon Mac's are said to be virtually silent

I found my 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac (2019) to suffer from the same malady; fan noise.

I found that using the turbo boost switcher to disable turbo boost made my machine run much cooler which results in nearly silent iMac, and I have not noticed any performance issues at all. In fact, it seems to have improved overall performance especially WRT some of the Izotope line, and certain VIs.

But, of course I only relay my own experience and not offer any recommendation, so YMMV.

K Roche 05-11-2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob (Post 2601819)
I found my 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac (2019) to suffer from the same malady; fan noise.

I found that using the turbo boost switcher to disable turbo boost made my machine run much cooler which results in nearly silent iMac, and I have not noticed any performance issues at all. In fact, it seems to have improved overall performance especially WRT some of the Izotope line, and certain VIs.

But, of course I only relay my own experience and not offer any recommendation, so YMMV.

I have the turbo boost switcher down loaded but do not have it installed But you post has me thinking it may be worth it. Thanks

Cowboy Bob 05-11-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Roche (Post 2601823)
I have the turbo boost switcher down loaded but do not have it installed But you post has me thinking it may be worth it. Thanks

I used it on my other iMac with success, so this go ‘round I got the paid version. Cheap enough. It does what it says, and I want to support developers that provide useful solutions.

I disable turbo boost on boot up by default. I can always enable turbo boost as I need it, but haven’t needed to as yet.

Let us know if it works for you.

originalscottyg 05-12-2021 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob (Post 2601846)
I used it on my other iMac with success, so this go ‘round I got the paid version. Cheap enough. It does what it says, and I want to support developers that provide useful solutions.

I disable turbo boost on boot up by default. I can always enable turbo boost as I need it, but haven’t needed to as yet.

Let us know if it works for you.

I agree whole heartedly. Turbo Boost Switcher is what makes my MacBook Pro i9 useable for Pro Tools, since it sits on the desk in front of me (in my home studio). It changed the fan noise from totally unusable 747 jet engine levels, to they sometimes turn on under heavy load, but Arte not that distracting. The paid version was well worth the $10, seems to be more stable, and is quicker to switch TB on and off. I also have TB off by default. I only ever turn it of if I am bouncing a linger show offline, or rendering video in Shutter Encoder or FFWorks.