Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   SSL 4000...by Waves (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=213581)

French links 01-11-2008 06:06 AM

SSL 4000...by Waves

I want to know if someone already works with it!
Reading the reviews and some Digidesign videos, it sounds great.I'd like to have the opinions of people that knows the hardware and can compare it to the plugin.
Do you think a 16 Tracks under PT session (7.4 LE) can support SSL Channel Strip on each track with a P4 with 2GB RAM?
Where would you insert the SSL Compressor ? On the instrument bus sidechained to the main vocal? Or on the Master Track as a general compression? (Slightly then cause thereafter Mastering could lose some efficiency)?
All advices and opinions are welcomed !

guitardom 01-11-2008 03:00 PM

Re: SSL 4000...by Waves

i like the ssl bundle a LOT. the buss compressor is very nice. the eq is great, use it all the time on everything. the channel strip is about the most usable strip i have used, well that and i demo'd the urs strip pro...this might be the next step up from the ssl. but the only thing i wish it had was just the compressor they use in the i/o by itself. but very nice and very usable, the only lacking element is a standard compressor, unless you use the strip, but the buss compressor is sweet!! seems very reasonable on the cpu. hard to say about your spec's. its been a long time since i have tracked on a p4, had a quad opteron for over a year and a half, a p4m before that, they are quite a bit faster than a p4, then had a p4 3.2ghz. so been about 2 1/2 years or so since i have tracked with one. the one i used is now my office computer.

NickH 01-12-2008 01:32 PM

The waves SSL channel strip is probably my most used plug-in now… and the bus compressor is used a fair old bit on every session…

Once of those bundles I really wouldn’t want to mix a session without now…

Can’t help you on the performance thing, haven’t had a P4 whist I have had this bundle

Cheers

N

drewpnutz 01-16-2008 03:00 PM

Re: SSL 4000...by Waves *DELETED*

Post deleted by drewpnutz

ejwells 01-16-2008 04:55 PM

The Native SSL Channel has 0 samples of latency (3 for TDM), the Native Master Buss Comp has 1 sample of latency (4 for TDM).

legacygone 01-18-2008 08:20 AM

I love the SSL bundle. i used in on a p4 2.3 with 2 GB ram until about 6 months ago.
It really depends on what other plugins you are running and a few other factors. I also never tracked with the Channel strip on, I used it during mixing. But in my experience I was able to use 8 - 10 strips at a time. Some of those also had the SSL EQ plugin. Though I know you could run a lot more if you are not using other plugins, but thats not realistic.

Overall considering how good they sound, they are are not CPU hogs at all.

D

French links 01-22-2008 02:31 AM

hey yo guys !
Thank you very much for sharing your xp with me.
I'm pretty amazed by the plugin delay.It sounds really warm.There's quite good presets onto the Waves website.
That's good when you turn your knobs and notice it's very sensitive (real gain and dip).Now I got to get used to the different chain configuration.You can even make an upward compression with it without duplicating the channel.
I'm really happy with it.