Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Reaper and 192 interface (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=373661)

WernerF 10-31-2015 06:50 PM

Reaper and 192 interface

Has anyone gotten Reaper to successfully pass audio in and out of Reaper using a 192 interface? If so, how. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

WernerF 11-01-2015 08:01 PM

Re: Reaper and 192 interface

Got it to work. Operator error strikes again. Didn't have the input button activated because, of course, one get's used to having auto input while in record in Pro Tools. Works like a dream now.

Top Jimmy 11-01-2015 08:08 PM

:thumbsup: :)

Josh Voyles 11-02-2015 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WernerF (Post 2307283)
Got it to work. Operator error strikes again. Didn't have the input button activated because, of course, one get's used to having auto input while in record in Pro Tools. Works like a dream now.

How are you connecting to the 192? Is there any I/O limitation?

WernerF 11-02-2015 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Voyles (Post 2307340)
How are you connecting to the 192? Is there any I/O limitation?

I just launch Reaper and choose Pro Tools HD hardware as the IO in the preferences' Device dialog box. You then just patch in the way that you would in P Tools.

And yes, there is a limit of 8 in and 8 out. It's unfortunate and, obviously, makes using Reaper with Pro Tools hardware pretty much a non starter for tracking anything too big in studio land. It's because of the way that the Core Audio driver is written and any of us that are holding our breaths waiting for this to change will most likely collapse long before it ever changes. Other hardware IO brands don't have these same limitations though.

cplaza 07-26-2019 06:33 AM

Is this an Avid/Digi or a Reaper limitation? I now use four 96 I/O's with PT HD 10 and a PCIe Native Card, but with more plugins requiring a 64 bit DAW, I am looking for alternatives to replacing the Native card and all the interfaces.

Ray Lyon 06-13-2022 07:11 AM

This thread is 9 years old, last post 3 years ago... has there been any development with compatibility between 192 and Reaper (6.0 +) since then?

Darryl Ramm 06-13-2022 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Lyon (Post 2639359)
This thread is 9 years old, last post 3 years ago... has there been any development with compatibility between 192 and Reaper (6.0 +) since then?

And you are on Windows or Mac? TDM? HD Native? HDX?

There is nothing specific to Reaper in this whole thread, or really even the 192.

Reaper like other DAWS just wants an ASIO or CoreAudio interface, AVID provides that with suitable drivers. The TDM drivers were severely crippled to 8x8 presumably for marketing reasons.

That 8x8 limit was removed with later drivers on HD Native and HDX hardware. See https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...e-Audio-on-Mac

And you can see the history of these not always easy driver installs and other problems on DUC. But just play and see for yourself.

Unless you have a need to keep a TDM, HD, or HDX system I expect you are better off switching to a modern USB or Thunderbolt interface. Especially if it’s only one 192 IO we are talking about. And especially if you want features like hardware monitoring.

Ray Lyon 06-13-2022 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2639367)
And you are on Windows or Mac? TDM? HD Native? HDX?

There is nothing specific to Reaper in this whole thread, or really even the 192.

Reaper like other DAWS just wants an ASIO or CoreAudio interface, AVID provides that with suitable drivers. The TDM drivers were severely crippled to 8x8 presumably for marketing reasons.

That 8x8 limit was removed with later drivers on HD Native and HDX hardware. See https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...e-Audio-on-Mac

And you can see the history of these not always easy driver installs and other problems on DUC. But just play and see for yourself.

Unless you have a need to keep a TDM, HD, or HDX system I expect you are better off switching to a modern USB or Thunderbolt interface. Especially if it’s only one 192 IO we are talking about. And especially if you want features like hardware monitoring.

Well, the title of the thread is "Reaper and 192 interface" so I thought the thread would address my question.
I'm running 192 with 5,1 cheesegrater, HDX, High Sierra 10.13.6, PT2021.6 Ultimate
Was wondering if 8x8 functionality was improved or changed, now I know.
I've got a great sounding 192 with a mod by Revive audio, wld like to keep it and use with other DAW's if possible.

Thanks for your input!

Darryl Ramm 06-13-2022 01:49 PM

Yes 8x8 restriction does not apply to HDX, read the KB article I gave a link to. I can't recall if thats also in the reference guide, but that is one great KB article for this.

My comment was to try to be clear here, there has been too many cases where folks read these old TDM era restrictions and think they apply to HD Native/HDX systems. We had threads go on and on in the past with people chiming in arguing there is an 8x8 limit. There is *if* you are on TDM.

And the original conversation was maybe a bit confused or could be read in a misleading way: 8x8 restriction was never a 192 IO thing, the driver does not care what is on the other end of the DigiLink cable and the 8x8 limit applied to anything connected, might be a 96 IO, .. anything etc.

Just get started and play around, if the Avid CoreAudio driver works great you are all set, if it gives you hassle you might be wanting to add a different interface.