Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   no options on the insert drop down menu (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=232893)

sterndrup 12-04-2008 10:49 AM

no options on the insert drop down menu

hello all,

vista and mbox 2...just installed and learning a bit.

in the mixer view when I click the "insert" tab the drop down menu only shows "I/O" and "no insert"

how can i see the instruments, rewire, plug ins, etc.

the only plug ins i can find are the audio suite plugs on the main page

thx

jmitchell1532 12-04-2008 11:22 AM

Re: no options on the insert drop down menu

I'm not at my system currently, but I think this is what you need to do. Go to the "View" menu and scroll to "Mix" window. Make sure the "Inserts" part is checked off. Then, in the Mixer, click on the tab and the drop down menu will appear with all of the plugins (if installed properly, of course).

sterndrup 12-04-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmitchell1532 (Post 1311545)
I'm not at my system currently, but I think this is what you need to do. Go to the "View" menu and scroll to "Mix" window. Make sure the "Inserts" part is checked off. Then, in the Mixer, click on the tab and the drop down menu will appear with all of the plugins (if installed properly, of course).

"inserts" is checked (I actually checked "all") and I still don't get any additional info on the inserts menu.

according to the users manual when i click the insert selector i should see two choices--"plug ins" and "I/O". I only see I/O.

I recently did the optimizations that digi recommends for vista. i didn't look to see if the plugs were there before that or not?? any other suggestions?

thx

spkguitar 12-04-2008 12:26 PM

Missing inserts can also be a symptom of a corrupted install. Have you tried re-installing?

Are you installing to the default location on the system drive?

sterndrup 12-04-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spkguitar (Post 1311573)
Missing inserts can also be a symptom of a corrupted install. Have you tried re-installing?

Are you installing to the default location on the system drive?

I am installing to the default location. Should I install elsewhere?

Audio Suite plugins are gone now too. I'm thinking this has something to do with the optimization procedure??

Should i do another clean install? If so, do I then have to go back and re-optomize the computer?

Thanks!

spkguitar 12-04-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterndrup (Post 1311581)
I am installing to the default location. Should I install elsewhere?

No. Absolutely not, which is why I asked; to make sure you weren't.

Quote:

Audio Suite plugins are gone now too. I'm thinking this has something to do with the optimization procedure??

What "optimization procedure" are you talking about specifically? (as many details as you can give)

Quote:

Should i do another clean install? If so, do I then have to go back and re-optomize the computer?

I think I might know what might be happening here; are you using the Tech Support Utility mentioned in the General Troubleshooting post? If so, I think you may be using it incorrectly.

If not, running item #3 of the Tech Support Utility might actually help troubleshoot your problem.

sterndrup 12-04-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spkguitar (Post 1311603)
No. Absolutely not, which is why I asked; to make sure you weren't.

What "optimization procedure" are you talking about specifically? (as many details as you can give)

I think I might know what might be happening here; are you using the Tech Support Utility mentioned in the General Troubleshooting post? If so, I think you may be using it incorrectly.

If not, running item #3 of the Tech Support Utility might actually help troubleshoot your problem.

the optomization process was
1.Enabling DMA
2. Disabling Network Cards
3. Adjust Power Options
4. Disabling Clear Type Font Smoothing
5. Turn Off User Account Control
6. Adjust Process Scheduling
7. Disable Screen Saver
8. Disable System Start Up Items
9. Display Performance
10. Disable DEP
11. Delete Digi Database Folders for all Vista Hard Drives
12. Delete Protools Preferences files in Vista

Could it be item number 11? Maybe digi was assuming that I was using an external hard drive and had that stuff saved on there. I'm going to but I don't have one yet.

I'm not running the troubleshoot utility, but I could if you think it might help.

I'll wait to here back to see if it may be something in the above list.

thx a ton!

sterndrup 12-05-2008 04:27 AM

should i reinstall protools?

jmitchell1532 12-05-2008 06:20 AM

Stern, if you insert the install disc, and try to re-install, there is a "repair" option. Maybe try that?

spkguitar 12-05-2008 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterndrup (Post 1311692)
Could it be item number 11? Maybe digi was assuming that I was using an external hard drive and had that stuff saved on there.

Your installed files would not be on the external anyway; that's for Pro Tools sessions. The files that are "missing" would still be on the system drive.

UNLESS...

You deleted the wrong directory when deleting preferences.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterndrup (Post 1311692)
I'm not running the troubleshoot utility, but I could if you think it might help.

It would be nice to see what you have in your plug-ins directory.

I still think you should have a go at re-installing. That would be my first step, if I were you.