Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   G5 WARNING!!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=95579)

Vindogg1 01-27-2004 10:11 PM

G5 WARNING!!!

It seems like Apple released the G5 a little too early and didn't work out all the bugs...I have just encountered my THIRD major G5 problem in a month....Here are some of the symptoms of these very COMMON G5 problems I've had...

1. Apple monitor does not turn on now and then when computer is turned on..Some users find that the monitor will not "wake up" from sleep..This problem gets worse and worse until the monitor just quits turning on, so if you are experiencing this, DO NOT IGNORE! The cause is due to a faulty batch of video cards. Replace the video card and the problem is gone..

2. Computer does not turn on...You'll just get the light and a fan noise for a few seconds and everything goes dead...You'll also likely get a burning smell..Ignore AppleCare's advice of removing everything, pressing the PM reset button, etc....Your motherboard/chipset is fried...I took it in and they put in a new one to solve the problem..

3. So I just got my computer back after being fixed for problem 2 and guess what? THE FANS ARE GOING NUTS!!! I MEAN A JET ROAR WHEN THE OS STARTS LOADING! After researching the Apple forums, it is again another common problem people are having with varying degrees of severity...I don't know what the solution is yet.

This has been a very disappointing first experience with Apple. These problems have prevented me from doing any work in my new Protools HD Accel system. Just wanted to save you guys some time in case you experience any of these symptoms. If someone else has encountered the fan problem, please let me know if there's a way to fix it without having to take it back into the shop...My lost time is pissing me off.

V

georgia 01-28-2004 05:35 AM

Re: G5 WARNING!!!

Check to make sure the clear plastic internal cover is correctly in place. When it is removed the fans will run a high speed to maintain airflow. If the internal conver is not correctly installed the system kicks the fan speeds up.

cheers
georgia

mixer 01-28-2004 05:42 AM

the g5 fans are calibrated electronically and need to be reset...the tech forgot to do it..whenever service is done the fans need to be calibrated..or they stay in diagnostic mood and go full speed ...i had all these problems also ...most were fixed when the logic board was replaced...they finally had to give me a new g5 since then its the best computer i have ever owned.....good luck...don't let them jerk you around....

GKB 01-28-2004 06:15 AM

Just to keep things all balanced out I wanted to add that my G5 runs like a dream. Not one single problem. I am sorry to hear about your trouble however I thought it would be best to give both sides.

Dutchmuzik 01-28-2004 07:01 AM

Dual 1.8 G5 very smooth sorry to hear about your experiences. In my case this is the quietest Mac I have ever owned.

AAR 01-28-2004 11:10 AM

The fan problem should be fixed by performing a Thermal Calibration, this utility is available only to Apple certified service centers and must be performed in a temperature controlled environment. I had all the problems you describe with both G5's that we own. Both had logic boards replaced within the first month. Then we had a broken power switch on one, bad video card on the other and to top it all off, the Video card problem arose on both of them. I wanted to comit suicide. Apple did not admit to this day that there is a problem with these cards and people are having a hard time getting these cards replaced, luckily we got ours after a little haggling with their reps. Finally we got replacement cards from Apple and after about 3 months of nonsense things are actually starting to look better. Good luck to all of you.

Mark W.

P.S. Here a link to the Apple disscusion boards of you want to read about the problems people are having with the video cards. http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

kirkgale 01-29-2004 05:02 PM

G5 Fan Noise

Yes, the G5's internal cooling system sounds like a quiet dream compared to the G4...we can actually hear the muse again....

but why is it that the G5 fan goes into non-stop hyperdrive after 20-ish minutes of no activity on the mouse/keyboard...?

zennman 01-29-2004 05:20 PM

Pushing to reset button on the motherboard solved my problems with the fans going crazy. Try it, it might just fix it.

Dog BBQ 01-29-2004 05:53 PM

Quote:

Just to keep things all balanced out I wanted to add that my G5 runs like a dream. Not one single problem. I am sorry to hear about your trouble however I thought it would be best to give both sides.

Gee That's real Helpful!

markjohn 01-29-2004 06:49 PM

Ohh Boy,

I'm receiving 2GB of RAM tomorrow and over the weekend I'm installing our first G5.

I'm pairing it up with an HD3 system, 3 192s and one MIDI I/O

While I've had the G5 for a week already and everything seems fine, this does sound alarming.

Can anyone please go into any detail about how they upgraded, e.g. OSX 10.3.1 is stated compatible on with DIGI, how about 10.3.2 is anyone running 10.3.2?

My plan is to clone our current HD rigs hard disk and do all the upgrades by downloading everything from the net.

Is this wise ?

Does every Plug in upgrade automaticaly or are there some vendors with no upgrades for this config yet, if so, who?

Pleasant weekend to all.
MMJ