Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Having trouble using multiple playlists/regions (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=111495)

headwerk'n 07-21-2004 08:15 PM

Having trouble using multiple playlists/regions

Hi All,

One of the coolest things I thought about ProTools when I saw that crazy Digi001 video was the ability to do multiple takes in Loop Record mode, split up the region and comp away to your heart's content using all the takes. Now that I've (finally) got PT running, I'm having trouble doing exactly that.

The actual loop recording is happening without a hitch - I get all the takes in my region bin. The problem is when I split up the region, I can't access the "other" takes behind it. In the first region I can (sometimes) see the other takes, but when I load them the whole performance - and not just the chunk up until the region slice point - gets loaded and generally makes a big mess.

All the takes go in the Regions bin, but they don't show up under the playlists menu on the track.

Am I using the wrong tool or not holding down the right modifier key? Am I missing a particular setting? I'm sure it is something totally simple I'm forgetting but so far the PT manual hasn't shed any light.

Thanks, Ben.

G5/2GHz :: PBG4/1.33GHz :: Mbox

headwerk'n 07-22-2004 01:22 AM

Re: Having trouble using multiple playlists/regions

Anyone?

Paul Cavins 07-22-2004 06:39 AM

I'm a bit rusty on this, but I think once you loop record, you should be able to command-click on the region and get a drop-down menu displaying the different takes. The loop recording doesn't really use multiple playlists. Look under preferences, under editing, and you will find some choices as to how to loop record.

Sorry this isn't much, hopefully someone else will chime in--

PC

prockmat 07-22-2004 09:12 AM

Re: Having trouble using multiple playlists/region

This actually is quite simple, and you can do it wether you loop record or not. As long as the beginning of the regions are the same, they will show up in the drop down menu (like Paul said.) The trick is to make sure the region beginning is the same (as it would be if you are loop recording.) When you want to audition the multiple takes, command-click on the region using the selector tool, or "bar" tool. It only works with the selector tool. When you select a take, it replaces the region that was previously active- within the same playlist. The best way to "comp" between the different takes is to make a new playlist, find what you like, and then paste that into the new playlist. I sometimes will listen to the numerous takes I've recorded, and when I find one that has something I might use I'll make a duplicate playlist of that take. Going through in this manner narrows down the takes to a few playlists just the good takes, and then I'll make my comp from those.

The secret is that the regions have to start at the same place. If you start recording at one spot, then decide to start recording a little later in time, those two regions won't be in the same drop down menu.

Carl Z 07-22-2004 01:02 PM

Isn't there a setting in prefernces that you have to check under editing.

Yeah - I'm alot of help. Not at my computer right now. I mean my music computer.

C